Phil Tipping

Staff member
From
West Wales, UK
Website
www.philizound.co.uk
Gear owned
dp-32sd
Post updated now it's finished. This playlist is a guided tour round the DP24/32SD aimed at the newcomer, but using the block diagram to clarify its many functions so may be of interest to others. Tips and catches (gotchas) are also discussed, along with the reasoning behind some of the functions.
Update 1: There's also a step-by-step guide shown in video 12 to complement the videos.
Update 2: A DVD is now available for offline viewing - full details.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this! Surprisingly there are not a lot of video tutorials on youtube for the dp-24/32. Most are just snippets of a couple select features. I am looking forward to this series!

Thanks for the support guys. Wasn't sure what level to pitch it - could be a long series, but if it helps anyone then it's worth it. Just don't watch them all back-to-back as you may start nodding off ;) Will try a separate audio mic next time to reduce the background hiss.

Once completed we can make a sticky with all the video links in this sub forum.

This is a great series ,I have the DP24sd.
Its helping me to understand the machine s capabilities.Some great tips as well.
Please keep up the good work.
By the way the sound seemed fine to me.

Where is the link dammit. arrrhhhgggg I need a Link. LOL.
Hi Phil look forward to seeing part 5 .
......................................................................................................................................................
I like that you stay on topic .clear speaking voice.and very knowledgeable.
Have you thought about applying for a job at the beeb .Tec news would suit you.
By the way how long have you had your tascam multi-track recorder.
I have had mine for about 2 months and with this forums help and your Vids
I am now making headway in learning this great machine.
I tried a Zoom R16 but there were so many menu options on such a small screen.
I found it clunky and very slow to navigate,Plus when it arrived the box was damaged
and parts were missing,It was supposed to be new but it clearly was not.
Thanks for a great series.
In part six can we have some girls in swim suits riding motorbikes please.

Reactions: Doodle46
Sorry Tyros. Link is
The YouTube description entry for each episode contains the links for all parts so assumed you'd just follow those... but I guess not many people see the description - maybe it's only visible if you go to YouTube to watch it.
You're too kind with the comments but thanks anyway. I've had the dp32sd for about a year now. Was looking for a portable replacement for making digital multi-track recordings - used to use a Mackie mixer and Fostex D108 hard-disc recorder, then transfer via fibre-optic cable to the main rig, but they were getting too heavy to lug around. I considered Zoom but it didn't seem as robust, and I never got my head round the Zoom 'way of thinking' with their PS04, so your findings seem to confirm that. Not sure if my 24bit/48KHz requirement was another issue but either way decided to go for the Tascam. Haven't regretted it. Never intended to use all the effects and mixing/mastering so I've got you guys to thank for forcing me to get into these areas... I'm just a nerdy manual-reader so it's just up my street :)
Swim suits may be trickier but I'll look into it....

Many thanks for these videos Phil I watched them all before deciding to purchase my machine. They are well put together, well thought out, excellently presented and for somebody like me, they are a godsend

Last edited:
Phil,

Thanks so much for the videos. I have had my DP-24SD for about a week, and am transitioning from a Korg D3200.

Question if I may... What are you using to capture the Dp-24 display for your videos? It looks great. One of my disappointments with the DP-24 was the lack of an output for a monitor. ( I felt blessed when I found the 2seemy for the Korg machine.)

All of you - If you watch these videos, you will learn a lot.

Matt B

Thanks for the kind words Matt. The screen shots are just from a normal stills camera which takes videos. There's a dedicated camcorder doing the wide-angle shot on the whole machine, although the quality of this seems worse than the other! They're both slung between a tripod which straddles the machine but the camcorder mounting is a bit flimsy which is why you get the wobble. I'm also sat on the floor straddling the tripod legs so it's a bit of a nightmare. There's a separate mic feeding an audio recorder as the camera mics seemed a bit noisy at the start. That makes 3 recorders to sync up... and yes there are times where I've got to the end before realising one of them wasn't on - doh!
Guitar FX part 7 has just been uploaded to complete the mixer tour - should be able to start recording in the next one. Have amended the Definitive Summary of Effects post as did some more tests and now think the Noise Suppressor comes first in the effect block, which would probably make more sense, i.e. 1.Noise Suppressor 2.Amp 3.Compressor 4.Effect. Not had any feedback on this so may still be wrong.

Hi Phil,
I can tell you that even for a veteran audio engineer, your series of video tutorials are an invaluable resource for getting the most out of these beasts.

Coming from the realm of outboard effects, patchbays and all the other gear familiar to old-school (read: analog) studios, this definitely helps shorten the learning curve.
Even though I'd made the leap to DAW's long ago, these all-in-one recorder/mixers aren't exactly intuitive, so your guidance is much appreciated.

My compliments to the chef :)

Phil, I just wanted to say THANK YOU, your video’s were the deciding factor of me buying the DP-24SD.

I knew going into this adventure I have inherent limitations. I’ve been in helicopter maintenance all my life and didn’t protect my hearing early on.

My sole object is to do nothing more than capture quality raw tracks and allow someone else to EQ, add effects, mix and master.

Your videos gave me the confidence I could remain a musician, and although handicapped, I can capture quality raw tracks. Thank You, Buddy E.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.