DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos Discussion

It worked!! All my tracks are back, and the song loads up fine. Cant thank you enough Phil. You are the man.

Reactions: -mjk-
That's great news Vinnie, thanks for following this up. Treat it as a 'warning shot' and get into the habit of making regular backups from now on ;)

Not sure about being the man :) - the 'knowledge base' is the result of many members contributing suggestions and solutions so thanks should go to them. This is why it's important for people to report back so we know what works and what doesn't. So many users just make one post asking for help, and we never hear from them again!

Hi Phil, I finally had the time to become a forum member and express my gratitude for your DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos.

I am new at this, and I learned how to use a 2488MKII using your tutorial as a starting point. I bought it a year ago from somebody who never managed to use it, so it is in pristine condition, and it comes with MIDI synch!

I use the recorder for recording my daughter and me. My daughter signs very well and also takes classes. I decided to learn some music after having a mid-life crisis. I do most of this on my own, so I need any help I can get.

Your videos are great because I am susceptible to the approach you used to explore the recorder. I started by reading the manual, but I got stuck because I did not know about overdubs, submix, bounce, mastering, etc. Your clear explanations, combined with the emphasis on using the "circuit diagram" on the back of the manual, were vital for me.

Finally, this forum also helped me find a way to run a factory reset on my TASCAM. The manual does not offer any instructions in that regard. I took it from a post that explains how to do it for the original 2488. These instructions were essential for me because the recorder came in a weird configuration after I bought it. I was not able to playback what was recording.

I'm also new here and still lusting around a DP-24 or 32-SD during this year. Went already through many of the instructional Phil videos and I also just bought the step-by-step-guide PDF, as my last recording/mixing experience is 40 years ago with a 4 track cassette recorder. :(

In the meantime and to pick up pace on the topic, I got a DP-008EX where I can already play and experience most of the functionalities of the bigger models.

I strongly recommend the PDF guide from Phil: It is a wonderful paperwork, especially for a novice like me.

Just sent $ for the Step-by-Step guide. Phil are you a Swansea supporter? I'm a Stoke City guy and I was disappointed in our side's effort against Swansea. Such is life. Thanks for all of the fabulous video tutorials and I look forward to receiving the guide.

Hi Phil,
I finished watching your entire DP-24/32SD series and found it very useful but I'm so new to audio that I'm still in a pinch.

This was a recommended purchase, and despite its robust features believe I bought the wrong kind of device. What I probably needed was a simple audio interface. So, if you have a moment I have one simple question:

Can the Tascam DP-24SD be used as an audio interface for my computer?

~Cheers

PS: Just in case it matters...
  • Tascam DP-24SD
  • Genelec 8010a reference monitors
  • MXL-990 condenser mic
  • Windows 10 OS

Hi Chaz, it depends what you mean by an 'audio interface'. If you're new to audio, it's best to be clear with your requirements.

If you want a device which provides one or more mic and line inputs and converts those signals to USB so that you can record on a computer using DAW software, then the answer is no. There are several audio interfaces which do this, with varying numbers of inputs, but you'll be relying on the computer to do the recording so will have to learn how to use a computer and a DAW, both of which bring their own quirks and problems.

The DP machines are designed to be completely free-standing so you can record, edit/process, mix and master all within the machine, although there's nothing to stop you splitting the various processes between it and a computer DAW so you can exploit the advantages of both ways of working. Tracks can be transferred to and from a computer. This cannot be done 'live', but they will be perfect digital transfers with no degradation.

I don't own a Model machine, but from what I understand, the Model series is a hybrid system with the emphasis on recording lots more channels simultaneously than the 8 for the DP machine, and on basic mixing of these tracks, so they can be free-standing up to a point. Any further processing has to be done on a DAW, but the machines offer live USB links for all tracks as well as the mix. The sticky posts at the start of the forum have more accurate info on these.

From your wording, it sounds like you are put off by the complexity of the DP machine. This is understandable for newcomers as they offer the sort of facilities you'd find in a real studio, so a lot of the learning is more to do with general multi-track recording terms and techniques, rather than how to operate the machine itself... although the machine does have some quirks so it tends to add to the confusion until you get your head round it :)

But I would revisit your requirements before making a hasty decision and changing to a different system. All systems require some degree of learning, and you may regret not having these features as your skill progresses. I have a step-by-step guide which will get you off the ground very quickly without having to delve so deeply under the hood, so it's a good complement to the videos... but I'm not the one to recommend this as I'm obviously biased on this matter :)

I'm sure others will have some advice to offer you, especially those owning different gear, so hang on till you get more replies. Meanwhile you could help by posting a list of the sorts of things you want to do, and whether or not you are ok (and/or competent) with using a computer and/or DAW.

@Phil Tipping
Thanks so much for the replying.

On the digital side, I have a BA in computer animation and since the 90's have worked professionally doing visual fx for some noted AAA video game developers (and some minor film projects too). Basically I'm no stranger to the virtual madness that is digital content creation. Can't say I'm an expert, but I've little fear with computers —it's mostly a mild disdain! . I've only played around with DAWs, but there is a comfort level there akin to any other software I've cracked open. At the moment they make more sense to me than the 24SD but that's just my comfort talking.

On the practical side, I've built multiple desktop workstations...and even assisted with a nuclear submarine refit as an Electronic Technician. Despite that being ages ago, I have enough knowledge with electronics to get myself into fixes like this one, but in some/most cases not enough to know how to get out of or get on with it. This is one of those cases respective of the latter.

All that said I have added acting to my CV and would like the ability to record monologues for voiceover employment opps. I'm also still animating, so recording VO and Foley is also in the wheelhouse.

On the hobby side is my sax playing and learning guitar (because I'm a big dumb guy that likes to overwhelm an already saturated schedule with more nonsense ). The ability to do either of these acoustically or electronically (via a wind MIDI in respect to the sax) is a bonus but not entirely necessary...but I'm a big dumb guy, so yeah, it'd be nice.

I can see the benefit of having a stand alone unit like this, especially for Foley work. However, I have a digitally based workflow, so ultimately it's preferred to manage my work on my computer because in the end, everything I do ends up there anyway.

I hope I'm on the right path with answering your questions. If not, please let me know what I've missed. I'd like to keep this thing if it makes sense to.

EDIT :: Since my workflow includes film editing (live action and animated) I'd like the ability to play audio from my computer through the Genelec monitors.

Last edited:
There's a thread in the Recording 101 forum that gets into DAW v Stand-a-Lone that may be helpful in your decision process.

I now have a hybrid process: tracking on my DP-24, mixing using Harrison Console's Mixbus 6, and mastering using TC-Hellicon's Finalizer.

IMO, in the right hands, the stand-a-lone portastudio is capable of producing up to A- master recordings in the box. Adding Mixbus 6 and Finalizer makes it possible for me to go to the next level, producing A+ audio masters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaz Sutherland
Different tools for different jobs. Someone interviewed me at a remote site. I brought my DP-32 and a couple of mics. Recorded the interview at 24b/48k. Cleaned it up with RX8 and exported. Mixed a few records with the X32 and Reaper and Mastered with Limiter6 GE. Use whatever suits the gig.

@Mark Richards
Thanks for the link. I'm certainly not ready for a final decision but after reading the thread and watching the accompanying videos—among many others—first blush is pointing toward the Tascam Model 12. Thanks to @Phil Tipping for mentioning it since it appears to straddle the digital/analog divide. As well, beyond its mixing capabilities, having XLR out for mains and MIDI is a plus.

Uncertainty lies in whether or not it's a basic audio interface for my computer. Which is a minimum requirement since playing audio from a DAW and NLE (out to my Genelecs) is a must. Much like what the SSL 2+ does. ...well at least I think it does..?

It's pricey though, so I'd be willing to pay extra for the Model 12 because it has more room for future exploration...which is a habit since I'm a bit of a sponge-of-all-trades (for better or worse). That said, I'm willing to slug it out with the 24SD if I can still have the min capability aforementioned.

@-mjk-
Couldn't agree more! However, trying to figure out what gear will cover my schizophrenic needs is proving to be a challenge. At least without taking out a 2nd mortgage.

You may want to bounce over to the Model 24/16/12 forum. There are folks there who have a pretty good handle on the Model 12, and the videos in the "Tutorial and Information Videos" sticky provide solid info on the capabilities.

Phil thank you so much for all the time you put into your video and guide. I got a dp24sd around a month ago. Your videos helped me prepare for the device before I even had it. I bought your guide from your and it's been an amazing companion. Thanks to your teaching style I really understand the device and can stop and think for a moment and solve a lot of my issues. Thanks again for all the work you've put into educating people on this wonderful device.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.