DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos Discussion

Phil, after viewing tutorial 6A, I find the fact that the Track meters are not affected by the Faders , but the Monitor meter is, to be counter intuitive and slightly disturbing :( Do the Track meters act any differently in the Mixdown Mode then then do in the Multitrack Mode? Maybe this is the source of my confusion with Track metering. Im just used to seeing the track levels displayed for both recording and then mixing based on my Logic and Studio 1 experience years ago.

And since reading electrical flow charts is a foreign language to me (I am more focused on use than theory) I am SO GLAD you also created that 99 page guide addressing actual use of the system. Excellent stuff!

UPDATE.. After extensive research I realize I just bumped into one of the limits of this sort of system as opposed to DAWS and dedicated hardware systems like the Avid . Thats cool. It is what it is...which in most respects is still amazing and awesome to me. For my simple needs it should be just fine. ;)

Luckily Im retired and this is just for my home studio. If I had bought this for a commercial enterprise, I would be shipping it back today. But since it s just for my home studio I will use an approach similar to what others do as a work around . There are so many good features about the DP24SD, Im not sure I could find anything better for the same price point. Zoom R24 Im sure has its own set of challenges.

Finally, Im reminded of sage advice the chief audio engineer (at the high end video production facility I worked as a CMX/Avid editor at ( https://www.facebook.com/tom.daigon ) once shared with me. He said at one point in the mix session he would close his eyes (ignoring the meters) and LISTEN to the mix. And make adjustment only on that experience. He felt the track meters could be a distraction times . I like the philosophy and will remember that as I adjust to the Tascams design idiosyncrasies.

Last edited:
Lasvideo, sorry for not replying sooner - must have missed the notification. The track meters work the same in both modes - they always show the original recorded levels for tracks which are playing back, or the recording levels for tracks which are being recorded. Glad you like the guide; many thanks for the feedback. Excellent point about just 'listening' :)

Reactions: Lasvideo
Thanks Phil. Just the info Ive needed. It seems the Beat Buddy Drum Machine ( https://singularsound.com/downloadable/BeatBuddy-MIDISettings-Firmware-v1.77.pdf ) sends out Midi Sync (Clock?) so that could be a good sign for me. I noticed in a pic that the Beat Buddy has a Sync Out spigot. Maybe I can record that straight to the DP 24 SDs audio track then use it as clock sync to trigger the BB using this ( https://www.amazon.com/DIN-Male-Playing-Electronic-Musical-Instrument/dp/B01KVIZTW4 ) . If not, what would be a midi sync box that I can buy today ( in the US) that would function the same as the YMC10? Those are not available anymore. Would something like this (UK) work? http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/d-sync.shtml.

Last edited:
According to that document, the Beat Buddy accepts & transmits start, stop and clock signals - controlled by the Start, Stop & Sync options - so this should work. I haven't seen a picture of your particular beat buddy so can't say what the sync spigot does. It may just be a small MIDI breakout socket where you would connect a special lead terminating in standard DIN MIDI input and output sockets - each of which would connect to your sync box. If so, these are MIDI signals so you cannot record/playback them using an audio recorder. You still need a sync box but as mentioned in the video, I don't think anyone makes them anymore. The Kenton one seems to convert MIDI clocks to/from D-Sync signals, which as far as I know are just another type of on/off digital signal, so these would not work with an audio recorder. Maybe someone else knows?

Last edited:
Will do. I also have a bid in at Ebay for the Yamaha YMC10 (like yours) just in case. ;) You are right, with Midi being dropped from many multitrack recorders, these things will be getting snapped up like hotcakes.

This is so ridiculous. Going back in time to use analog blips for synchronisation again, because someone in the marketing department thinks MIDI is out of date. Unbelievable...

I would like to thank Phil for his excellent video tutorials. I learnt far more by watching these than I ever would with the manual alone. I look forward to any new videos you post Phil with anticipation.

Phil's video series has guided me steadily with my recently purchased DP-24sd . Thank you so much . Still haven't cracked why I can't transfer the .wav song files to my PC (WIN10) ......! It all appears as per the manual on the Tascam side- but there is no external drive/device showing on the PC side- after an hour trying to troubleshoot I put the SD card into a reader and plugged that into the PC- it shows "Generic Mass Storage" but no files or folders- I inserted it back into the Tascam , it has only 2 short songs on it so I will keep working. Anyone else figure out a workaround when the DP-24 won't show up as a removable drive..?

Dave, more than once I've gone to the USB screen, sat and waited.... until I realized that I never actually pushed the button to start the connection. But when that button is pressed it connects right away. It seems like a PC issue since you're also having problems with the card reader.

Reactions: Dave Perkins
Phil's video series has guided me steadily with my recently purchased DP-24sd . Thank you so much . Still haven't cracked why I can't transfer the .wav song files to my PC (WIN10) ......! It all appears as per the manual on the Tascam side- but there is no external drive/device showing on the PC side- after an hour trying to troubleshoot I put the SD card into a reader and plugged that into the PC- it shows "Generic Mass Storage" but no files or folders- I inserted it back into the Tascam , it has only 2 short songs on it so I will keep working. Anyone else figure out a workaround when the DP-24 won't show up as a removable drive..?

Hi Dave,
Have you got access to a Mac laptop to see if you can connect via that? It's worth eliminating the possibility that what you're experiencing is a PC/Win10 issue.

Reactions: -mjk-

I seem to recall that, if you at one point choose "do nothing" when Windows prompts you to tell it how to handle newly discovered media devices, it will just sit there and.... do nothing. What happens if you connect via USB and open a file browser? Can you see the DP in the list of available drives?

Pro Tip - always make sure you are using a data/sync cable to transfer data from the DP-24 to a PC.
Sheepishly I admit, the cable I had apparently was a discount charging only cable. It was a young gamer at a computer store that caught the problem-of course it took a trip to 4 specialty stores to get the right cable. One clerk advised me to not say the word Tascam and ask for a PS-3 cable - he said the miniB connection on the DP-24 went out waaaaaayyyyy back in 2014....lol...........when he was still in school ....
Anyway- it worked- the PC spotted it and I found the folders in File Explorer...
Thanks for the input - still lots to learn on the new rig (with the obsolete connector).

It worked until it didn't.......!! :mad:
Followed the same sequence as last time with the new data cord- right back to square one- is it really possible that a new cable would work once- go back in the bag and then come out to now NOT work- or is WIN10 trying to drive me crazy...? All I see is a "Generic Mass Storage" in the File Explorer which is showing as not connected. Anybody with some Windows skills ..help?

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.