DP-32SD - Imported tracks off by a split second

Phil O

Gear owned
DP-24, DP-32SD
Hello all! I'm new to the group and have been searching through the forum and finding lots of good information. I've been using a DP-24 the past couple of years and picked up a used DP-32SD from craigslist over the weekend. When recording, I usually program the drum tracks on my Roland keyboard workstation and then export each track as wave files to my computer, and then connect my DP24 and go from there. Everything usually works flawless. I was working on a new song over the weekend and programmed some drum tracks, and this time transferred them into my *new DP-32SD over the weekend, and when I placed each file into their tracks and listened using the metronome I noticed the whole project was off by a split second. I always make sure the tempo on both machines are set and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this issue.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums.

I seriously doubt that someone else is using your exact workflow, so the question is hard to quantify. At any rate, importing and exporting tracks that are recorded or modified on different systems always runs the risk of somehow being changed and not lining up (although I've never had that experience working with the Dp-32 and Reaper). However, moving tracks in the DP machines is very easy and allows a high degree of precision so its really not that an obstacle to production. The real issue is that tempo is not exactly etched in stone. Different systems have different standards of stability. When using my DP-32 as a MIDI MTC controller, playing back tracks on my DR-880 is rock solid. Reaper OTOH, drifts around a bit. But again, all it takes is a little nudging and everything fits back into place.

When editing on the DP machine, I keep meticulous records of what I'm doing and I always UNDO unsuccessful attempts rather than moving forward with continuous edits. That keeps things simple and the starting point is always the same for each move. So, jump in there and nudge those tracks into place!

Reactions: Phil O
As mj said, all machines start & run at slightly different times *unless* you have some form of sync system in place. For a sync system to work, you have to have one master to generate the timing guide, either audibly by recording a click say for you to follow when overdubbing live, or inaudibly by recording an electronic timing info for overdubbing electronic instruments like drum machines etc. You then have to use this guide for *all* subsequent overdubs. The electronic timing system only works with machines with built-in sync so cannot be used with the newer dp-24/32sd models; you have to use the 'audible' method for that.
So in your example when you created your drum sounds, their timing was determined by the clocks in your Roland keyboard. When you transfer the audio signals to the dp32sd, the timing was not transferred so they will not be synced to the dp32sd's internal clocks/metronome. If you want to retain the timing, you can use a MIDI sync box which converts the timing signals from the Roland into a set of audible bleeps, which *can* be recorded onto a spare track. This track is then your master timing guide for subsequent overdubs.

I can only tell you (from my own experience) that the metronome in the Tascam is not exact. It will not sync to a click from a computer set to the same bpm value.

Reactions: -mjk- and Phil O
Thanks for the replies. I can honestly say I'm still a novice to all of this despite being a musician and keyboard player for years. The tracks I recorded on my Roland workstation sync perfectly with my DP-24 so maybe it has something to do with a setting on the Roland allowing me to record the timing?
Luckily for me with the DP32sd, the metronome is consistent with the Roland tracks throughout the entire song and I just turned off the metronome on the 3s2d. I have yet to experiment with having to shift all of the tracks by milliseconds.
However, the timing on my Yamaha workstation when compared with my DP32SD is a hot mess, and I now know that I'll be using the Yamaha for sounds and live track recording.

If you used a separate MIDI lead between the Roland and DP24, this would explain it. If not, there is no other way to get the sync signal across, so maybe you are just lucky that the Roland clock happens to run at the same speed as the DP24. Would be interesting to see how long you'd have to run them before they drifted apart. If they don't drift, you've discovered something truly wonderful ;) :)

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, audio wav files don't contain any timing information.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.