Dynamics FX after recording

Muskoka John

Gear owned
DP32
I was following Phil Tippings tutorial 14a, Dynamics FX after recording, trying to insert some compression on a previously recorded track. It involves sending effect out to an available input through a jumper cable. I thought I set everything as per the tutorial, but had the wrong effects send turned on. When I hit the record on the spare track, the level meter went to the top and the overload light was on. I immediatly turned the record off. My question is, would this have caused any internal damage to the circuitry of the machine?

Welcome to the forum. There is a warning in the video at 4:42, but it's not much help now I'm afraid.
You should be ok, especially if you turned off immediately... but you can easily check by listening to a signal going into that input. If it still sounds clean then you got away with it. Obviously, please take extra care whenever you have a loop-back situation. This also applies to connecting external effects.

Thanks Phil. I'm new to the machine, and your tutorials are awesome. I always turn monitor levels down, and take my headphones off when connecting any cables. The overloaded channel the effects send was input to seems OK, and it may have been a couple of seconds before I turned off the record button. I know from a bit of an electronics background, that old vacuum tube equipment was quite forgiving, but modern day electronic components can be very sensitive to excessive signal levels. Thanks again.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online

No members online now.