Firewire 6 pins to 4 pins

Ludy van Dijk

Gear owned
DM 4800
Hello, i'm new here and sorry for my bad English.
My Tascam DM 4800 has a 6 pins firewire and my Mac a 4 pins.
I've hookes the cable, but the Tascam says: Driver offline.
Is this cable working with 2 different connectors or should i buy a card with 6 pins for my Mac?

Best regards
Ludy van Dijk
The Netherlands

I know for a fact that I responded to this post several days ago but I came back today only to find that my response had vanished.

@Ludy van Dijk What exactly do you mean "It's by the 8 pins to 6 pins"?

Roline-FireWire-kabel-9-naar-6-pins-1-8-meter-400-Mbps-11029618-i24935-t10078.html

You can use one of the free services that I have listed below to post your images. It is quite simple:

https://imgur.com/
or
https://postimages.org/

Are you sure that the cable is not 9-pin to 6-pin? As I had mentioned in my post that mysteriously vanished. I have used the cable that you see below with a Macbook Pro and my 4800 running Logic with no issues at all.

20220117-112057.jpg

20220117-112116.jpg

Last edited:
That's the cable i use yes. But my mac doesn' t recognice ( i don't know how to wright it) my tascam

I am wondering if the same cable comes with different pinouts. The Mac may use something proprietary. Or, try another cable. Make sure that it is not too long either. 6 feet is a good length. It could also have something to do with your OS.

Another thing that I would try is to get your hands on a Windows laptop or desktop that either has an onboard or outboard FW interface. Install the drivers and one of the free DAWs available on the internet. This way you can rule out the Mac as th culprit.

You might also consider looking into the device settings on your Mac. Unfortunately, I no longer have or use my Macbook Pro.

Can you give me a link where to download the Mac drivers for the DM 4800? (not the firewire) i cant find them anywere on the site from Tascam. Only for the firewire card and the firmware update.
I first have to fix that logic can install the Tascam in a good way because i can't setup the tascam in logic so i think i first have to find the correct drivers. After that i can fix the problem with the fire wire. Sorry if i look stupid this way, but no one can help me here.

@Ludy van Dijk You do have your 4800 connected to your Mac via USB, right? Have you installed the Tascam TMC utility? Please read this section of the DM User Manual (page 55) See screenshot below:

Connectioni-to-4800-2022-01-17-171040.jpg

@Ludy van Dijk There is nothing stupid about learning. We all started at excatly the same point where you are now. Seek and you will find !

New threads

Members online

No members online now.