Gain Zero for DP24/32SD gain trimmers

mariusvideo

From
Italy
Gear owned
DP24SD, DP03-SD
Wich position of trimmers can we consider like gain zero in DP24/32SD?

Not sure if this answers exactly what you're asking... but the "trim" adjustments for inputs A-H do not stop the input level *entirely* when turned all the way down (counter-clockwise). If the input signal is strong enough... there will be some signal still coming through even when the trim knobs are turned to their minimum/lowest setting.

In order to kill the input signal entirely - you need to turn the "Level" control in the "input mixer" display screen all the way down by selecting the Level and using the jog wheel.

Last edited:
No no no! Those level controls in the mixer screen are the equivalent of the track faders for inputs... and just like the track faders, they DO NOT affect the recording levels. They alter the amount of input signal going to the stereo bus (if they are assigned to it)... again just like the track faders which alter the amount of track playback signal going to the stereo bus. The stereo bus is where all the signals are mixed and sent to the stereo outputs; it plays no part in the recording in multitrack mode.
So the only controls (apart from EQ & FX) which affect the recording levels in multitrack mode are the source trim knobs.
You're correct in that the source trims do not go down to zero - their minimum position is for line(high)-level signals, so if you still get overloads you'll need to reduce the signal externally with a pad/attenuator or mic placement etc.
Marius - if you meant 'unity gain' where there is no attenuation and no amplification (like the 'U' setting Mackie use on their mixer knobs), I think it's about the 1 o'clock position from some tests I did ages ago, but can't remember how I verified it so don't take this as gospel.

Reactions: mariusvideo
Ah yes. Of course. Thanks for the clarity, Phil!

The input mixer level control is just after the track-assign/routing section, indeed!

Last edited:
No problem jimi - just testing you :) There was another post which said the same but seems to be deleted so my 'no no no' response seems over the top now. I was keen to nip it in the bud before it resurrected an old 'myth' for this machine which was doing the rounds some time back.

Last edited:
@Phil Tipping Yes you're right, I mean the position where we have no amplification and no attenuation. I have taken a look to manual of DP24SD at page 78 Level Diagram and I have seen that We have the "zero" gain position at the seventh line counting from the Line position to Mic position, just 1 o'clock position like you say.
I have asked this question because I want to compare the noise that it's generated when recording on different mixers, recorders and so on with the same microphone or instrument like a guitar etc...at zero unit gain, zero on the level fader, no eq no comp etc...Just a basic comparation
Thank you Phil you're a source of knowledge :)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online