Guitar Effects Question

Jerzy

Gear owned
DP24
I swear this will be the last time I call about Guitar Effects on my DP24!! Right!! I have been enjoying and am being quite productive on my DP24 but I keep getting the old "Turn off the Guitar Effect or use two or less dynamic effects" message when I want to use the Guitar Effect and have gotten quite frustrated. So is the solution that when I use the Guitar Effect on one channel, if I only use say Reverb on only one or two channels it will work? Help please.. I think the message actually says to turn off other effects. Sorry not at home to check.

Phil, I guess my problem is this. Say I want a to sing a vocal with a delay guitar Effect on channel 23/24. I am using compressor for dynamic effect for input A microphone with no other active inputs. Can I use any SEND effects on any other channels?
Also, Phil, if I just use the DELAY from the SEND effects it will be global, correct?

Last edited:
1. Yes, the 3 effect processes listed are independent, and the Send process does not fight for processing power like the other 2, so you can use Send on any/all tracks or inputs without impacting the insert effects.
2. Yes, the Send effect can only be configured as one of its 3 types at any one time, and there's only one send effect, so if you make it a Delay, it will delay anything which is routed to it.

So I guess I'm over thinking this. Then I can use a microphone on say channel 1 and use compressor from dynamic effects. I can record onto say tracks 23/24 and use a delay type guitar effect on channel 1. I can also use reverb from send effects on any or all other channels. Is that right? That would be perfect.

Yes... almost perfect... unless you are expecting to record the Send effect while you are recording channel 1. You'll be able to hear the effect in the monitor while you are recording, but it cannot be routed back into the track during the recording phase unless you use an external cable to connect the monitor or stereo output back to a free track... not recommended unless you are desperate as it may cause feedback if you're not careful.
The Send effect can be added to the recording afterwards, either by doing a bounce, or doing a mixdown.
This is the confusion when you ask "Can I use any SEND effects on any other channels?" - the term 'use' can mean different things! Hope this hasn't thrown a spanner in the works!

Thanks Phil. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help since I first got my DP24. This works great and solves so many of my concerns. Would you suggest I record effects with PRE or POST?

Try it both ways and see what your ears tell you... or to be more helpful (sorry) :) ...
If you use 'pre', the signal is routed to the effect at your chosen send level and will not vary as you adjust the track's fader, i.e. it's 'pre' or 'before' the fader. So if you want to use your fader to fade the track signal up and down, the effect amount will not change. This may sound awful or maybe not, depending on the chosen effect and your taste.
If you use 'post' then the signal fed to the effect will vary as you adjust the track's fader so the relative level between the main signal and the effect won't change. Using post for a reverb effect will sound more natural if that's the sound you're trying to create.
There's a lot in this machine so it can be quite complicated/frustrating - it's a mixer and a multi-track recorder, and the user interface and manual aren't exactly crystal clear but it's worth sticking with it. I know block diagrams aren't everyone's cup of tea, but if you try and trace through the signal paths it will answer a lot of routing (routine!) questions... or just ask on the forum, we don't mind :) Good luck.

Reactions: EricAndrew
Once again Phil. I want to thank you for all the great info you have helped me personally with as you have so many others on this forum. You have helped me to create and make music! I love the DP24! There is a lot there but other than effects it's a breeze to use!

I have a song wherein the guitar effect error message "Not available! Turn off ….." comes up every time on every track, even with all of the effect options turned off.
Specifically, I want to use the guitar effect compressor on a recorded vocal track. I have done this for lead vocal clean up on numerous other songs, however in this case the error message keeps appearing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Jarrod Roth

Right-
I looked those posts over first to ensure I hadn’t missed anything. In this case, I have turned off the dynamic, insert, and guitar effects. I have also disabled the “insert effect” on every track.
So, the guitar effect (compressor in this case) will turn on, however when I select any track the error message appears.

I appreciate your advice in advance.
Jarrod Roth

But the machine doesn't arbitrarily do that. On the Mixer screen, go through each channel one-by-one until you find the channels that have FX inserted. There is always 1 pesky channel that gets missed and that's all it takes.

I have a song wherein the guitar effect error message "Not available! Turn off ….." comes up every time on every track, even with all of the effect options turned off.

No, it doesn't. It only does that when too many FX are applied.

Last edited:
One sure way to turn everything off is to do a factory initialise - Menu, Preferences.
Another way is to load a Reset/Factory template before creating a new song.

To do it manually, do the following:

Open the Dynamics screen and do the following for each input:
  • Select the input by pressing its Source button so it lights up.
  • If the effect shown on the screen is on, press F4 to turn it off.
You should now be able to insert the Guitar effect block into any track. Note you can only insert it into one track at any one time. I would recommend not using the 'insert effect' box in the mixer to turn input (dynamic) effects on/off - the tutorial videos explain why.

If this still doesn't work, confirm you are running the latest firmware and are using an approved sd-card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
Found it-
I didn't think to check the inputs as I was proceeding to mixdown; sure enough there were a couple of inputs with the effects active.

Thanks to both Phil and MJK for your suggestions -

Cheers!
Jarrod Roth

New threads

Members online