Headphone Out on Model 12

Just get the version with lower impedance and you won’t have any problems. No need for a separate headphone amp, but you can just connect them to the Model12’s headphone out jack and start recording music.
I recently bought myself a new pair of headphones, the AKG K240 studio. They’ve been a classic in studios for decades and sound great.
And they’re much cheaper than the Beyer. ;)

You'll know when you hear it.

Hello Logrinn and MJK; Logrinn, I considered that option initially, but Beyerdynamic doesn't offer the lower 880 PRO impedances anymore, they only have the 250 ohm available. MJK, that's what I want to know, if for hearing it I need an external amp or not. According to what Mark Richards said in a previous post, getting that listening quality it's not a matter of having more volume, but having the right power and voltage supply, and I don't know if my Model 12 provides it, or if an external headphone amp does

I’m not sure that an external headphone amp will give you much more volume than what the headphone amp in the Model12 will give you.
I’ve got my headphone volume control on my Model12 set at about 12-, 1- o’clock for my listening needs. Higher than this starts to get painful.
It’s just a simple matter of connecting your headphones when you get them and have a listen. If it sounds good, it is good.

Reactions: Bambi
Beyerdynamic makes (or used to make?) a headphone amp (the A20) that provided 170mW, 6.5Vrms, and 18.6Vp-p to drive their 250 Ohm pro series headphones. The reason why those numbers were chosen is way beyond the scope of this forum, but have to do with obtaining maximum clarity, balance, imaging, etc. from their pro series headphones.

Are your needs so critical that it's worth spending north of $1200US to meet them when you're working with a $700US FOH mixer?

The 250 Ohm DT880 should play nicely with your Model 12, and should enable you to make well balanced mixes with good sound stage, depth, and imaging, and at a very usable volume level.

And if that doesn't meet your needs/expectations, then you may want to consider a well designed and manufactured headphone amp that will match the quality and performance potential of the DT880.

Edit:
I wonder should this whole thread be moved to Recording 101 since it's not pertinant to just the Model 12/16/24?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambi
Hello Logrinn, Mark and BazzBass; Logrinn, thank you for the feedback about your volume control settings on the Model 12. The volume levels you tell me about will be more than enough for me to work with.

Regarding the listening quality, Mark, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I thought that using 250 ohm headphones without the right power and voltage supply made too much of a bad difference. But if taking advantage of the whole capabilities of the 880 PRO is going to cost me that much, certainly I can keep without it. So I'll just try the headphones when they arrive and enjoy them without having to worry too much about any insufficient performance. Thank you

New threads

Members online

No members online now.