Hopefully getting a workable computer for the MX-2424

Alan Dunn

Gear owned
MX-2424
Just a quick question, does it matter if the computer hard drive is SATA?
Thanks for any insight.
A.Dunn

Would this work for my situation as well ?

Quote from witzendoz "I have a scsi card in my PC so that I can connect the scsi tower to a computer to suss out problems, if you can, you can format the drive on a PC to FAT32, then connect the drive back up to the MX and initialise the drive."

The computer you use for connecting to the MX or connecting to scsi drives external to the MX can have any type of drive. I have a XP machine at present as my main MX interface and that is fitted with a SATA SSD, I also have other XP machines with normal SATA, I have a windows 2000 machine with an IDE drive, and even a windows 98. My windows 10 laptop also works.

Cheers
Alan

Sorry to interrupt .. would you buy chance have a copy of MX view handy.. I just acquired a dm24 and Mx2424.. I have a Dell with XP.. I’ve been reading that if some one copied their file it would work on mine... I would be very grateful ..

Alan,
I have found a SCSI card but want to confirm that this will work. I know that I need the PCIe card and what I have found is P/N - DELL NU947 LSI20320IE LSI LOGIC Ultra320 PCI-E Controller Card. Will this allow me to do updates to SCSI thru the SATA computer?

What you want is a card that has a 68 pin connector, I actually have 50 pin connectors and an adapter cable, the 50 pin is fast enough as you are only doing transfers and don't need the 68pin speed. 68 pin is convenient as you can use a 68 pin cable. Try to check there are drivers available for the card in case the computer can't figure out what it is.

I am not sure what you mean by “do updates to SCSI thru the SATA computer?” If you are talking software than that does not work, the SCSI computer thing is for file transfer only.

What is handy is that if you get a corrupted file or a drive mounting problem with the MX this often can be solved by connecting it to a computer and checking out what is going on in the SCSI drive
Cheers

New threads

Staff online

Members online