HOW TO Use External Effects on Model 12

@Bambi thanks for those points. They reminded me that the sub actually has a fader, which was only set halfway. Doh! Nevertheless problem solved, thank you.

Reactions: -mjk- and Bambi
Hi all; hoping to re-awaken this thread with some questions (some of which are quite stupid so please bear with me!)

I am attempting to use a FMR Audio Stereo Compressor (the Really Nice Compressor) in conjunction with my Model 12 which is acting as a mixer and audio interface for sessions I run in Ableton Live 10. I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out how to run select audio from Ableton using the External Audio Effect tool to specific outputs on the Model 12. I think where I’m getting confused is understanding how the outputs on the Model 12 are numbered. The inputs are all very clearly labeled and numbered on the device, but are the outputs numbered in a specific way? For example, are the Main Outputs number 1&2, the Sub Outputs number 3&4, the aux 1 & 2 outputs number 5 & 6, etc?

The setup I’m currently running is a pair of 1/4” unbalanced TS cables running from Aux 1 & 2 on the model 12 into the left and right channels on the compressor, then a pair of 1/4” unbalanced TS cables running from the left and right compressor outputs into inputs 7&8 on the model 12. By doing this, I can create a blank audio track in Ableton, set it to record audio from inputs 7 & 8, solo the audio I want to compress, and then print a recording of the compressed audio coming into inputs 7 & 8. However, I cannot figure out a way to monitor in real time the effect the compressor is having without printing the effect.

From all the research I’ve done, it seems like this should be possible using Ableton’s External Audio Effect tool, but then I run into the issue of not knowing which outputs to send the audio to. I know this is not an Ableton forum so I’m more so looking for feedback on what I may doing wrong on the model 12 side of things.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated!

@PeaPod typically, compressors are insert effects, not Send effects. Channels 1 and 2 have insert jacks that will allow you to insert the compressor on those 2 channels. Will that help you?

@-mkj- Thanks for your response! I think the External Audio Effect tool I mentioned essentially functions as an insert effect in Ableton which one can drop on a channel and use it to route audio out from that channel, to the desired effect (i.e. compressor), and back into Ableton. I can use the Model 12 insert jacks you mentioned to utilize the compressor for audio coming in through channels 1 and 2 on the Model 12, but as far as I can tell they do not allow me to route audio from my DAW to the stereo compressor and back into my DAW.

As I started to get at in my original post, I think my big point of confusion is understanding how the outputs are numbered for the Model 12 when it is being used as an audio interface for a DAW. Most audio interfaces I've used have their line outputs clearly labeled on the device. The Model 12 has 10 outputs, but I cannot seem to find a clear answer on what the 10 outputs correspond with on the hardware itself. In other words, what ports on the Model 12 correspond with Outputs 1-10? If I have a better understanding of that, I think that will help me troubleshoot my issue more precisely.

@-mkj- Thanks for your response! I think the External Audio Effect tool I mentioned essentially functions as an insert effect in Ableton which one can drop on a channel and use it to route audio out from that channel, to the desired effect (i.e. compressor), and back into Ableton. I can use the Model 12 insert jacks you mentioned to utilize the compressor for audio coming in through channels 1 and 2 on the Model 12, but as far as I can tell they do not allow me to route audio from my DAW to the stereo compressor and back into my DAW.

@PeaPod let's talk about the insert routing for a moment. The insert jacks are an unbalanced send and return loop to a hardware device obviously, but accessible though the console. I understand the routing principle in Ableton you mentioned, but you apparently do not have a separate audio interface connected to the compressor that you can send and return the audio from and back into the DAW. This is why you can't use the EAF tool because there is no interface connected to your outboard compressor - in other words there is hardware to send and return from.

So, that leaves one solution and that is to insert the compressor into the audio chain in the console (how its been done for decades) and there is no reason why that wouldn't work as long as the audio you want to compress is physically present on a channel with an insert jack. You'll have to buy or make a cable but there is no way that would not work on any audio that is present on that channel. Otherwise, you need an interface for every piece of outboard gear in order to use hardware routing schemes from the DAW.

Reaper has that hardware routing capability also of course, and I do have an external Dante interface that I can record from or send audio to, separate from my console. Large studios have 32, 64 or more channels of audio interface/conversion to cover all of those devices if they want to route directly to/from them in the DAW. Otherwise, they have all the console insert jacks connected to a patch bay along with all the outboard I/O so those devices can be inserted into the audio chain with cables.

Hello MJK and PeaPod; is there anyway you can output from Ableton the audio that you want to process and send it into channels 1&2 on the Model 12? You could then use the mixer's inserts. If it's not possible and the only option available is having the original audio inside the Model 12 first, as MJK suggests, you have to copy the original audio file into the Model 12's memory card and then import it into an empty track on the mixer. As it seems that your original file is stereo, the way I'd do it, and MKJ please correct me if I'm wrong, is make 1 file for the right channel and another one for the left. Then import the files from the Model 12 card into channels 1 and 2 on the mixer. Having that, you could use 1 insert to connect the compressor's left input and ouput, and the other insert to connect the right ones. That's how I guess it would be done, but I'm not sure, so please MJK correct me if I'm wrong

Reactions: -mjk-
Okay, I know this may have been answered here in various ways already, so I apologies ahead of time as I’m having trouble figuring this out from the existing posts. I have a Tascam Model 12 and I’m wondering if it’s possible to route an external fx pedal (microcosm) to an aux channel to be used on multiple channels as a blendable effect, either bypassing the internal digital fx or allowing for both. I know this model lacks an fx send input and I’m having trouble finding a way to route the pedal using the inserts on 1 and 2. Can anyone offer a clear configuration if this is even possible? Again, my humble apologies if this is redundant. I’m just unable to figure out how to route my cables to make this work if even possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey MJK, thanks for the quick reply! For some reason I couldn’t understand the signal flow or how to utilize the Aux 1 channel. Y cable into insert 1 from pedal, then a line from the input on channel 1 to the Aux 1 output. I didn’t realize that the input on channel one would act as a send. All good now. Much appreciated.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hey @Hammarlund. Thanks for the initial tips.

I'm trying to plug a guitar pedal (simple distortion pedal) into a Model 12 using your tips.
The second one (using Insert with half-plug) works perfectly. But when implementing the preferred one (using AUX1 and returning to an empty channel) the signal returns with lots of noise, even with the distortion turned off. I've muted the AUX2 channel and made some tests with the EQ, but the clean signal still very bad. The cables seems to be perfect as the half-plug insert method worked nice.
I tryied both PRE and POST faders on AUX1 send, but signal was bad in both.
Any ideias of what's happening here?

New threads

Members online