IF-FW/DMMKII beta drivers for DM3200/DM4800

The beta drivers work great. Have no fear... Just update your OS, install the new drivers, and enjoy seamless, delicious audio. I've used several versions of the beta drivers and haven't had glitch one.

While certainly not in the "upper pro audio world," I do make a living with my gear and have friends who score network and cable TV series. I've done every OS and drive update, knowing that if there is a problem, I can Time Machine my way back in 15 seconds. I don't know that Mavericks is "commonly agreed" to be problematic anywhere. Run a clean system, don't clutter it up with a bunch of third pray drivers and junkware, and Mavericks works great.

I should also point out that my studio computer runs my DAW and VI's, my billing software, and is Internet connected. Zero problems. A second machine would be a massive waste... there's no reason why you can't run accounting or word processing software on a studio computer.

I'm not busting your chops, but you do present your statements with an absolutism that doesn't fit. A lot of conventional wisdom doesn't hold up beyond the Webz. My experience tells me that most of the kvetching that goes on in various audio or DAW specific fora is the result of people insisting on using obsolete third party drivers for input devices ("But I can't work without it!"), goofy and unnecessary methods of passing audio or MIDI between programs, etc. When (that is to say IF) the root cause is ever discovered, it almost never has anything to do with the OS or DAW, but is either junkware or operator error.

Last edited:
While it seems that Jim lives in no fear of Beta, users should always be cautious when the word Beta is used in software. While the Beta drivers may work for Jim and many others that are on these forums, that is a small sample of all DM users Beta or otherwise. Of course if you are using an un-supported OS with products that don't work with your current drivers, you have no choice but to use and test out the Beta software in your specific setup. Keep in mind that if the DM Beta drivers worked as well as Jim alludes to for all users and Tascam had the same confidence in them, they would have likely released them a LONG time ago.

Over the last few years Apple keeps changing and playing around with their CoreAudio, USB and Firewire protocols from OSX version to OSX version as well as their maintenance versions so it makes it quite the task and challenge for a developer to make one driver that is stable and reliable for more than the OSX version of the moment. Your always playing a frustrating game of catch up and often need to implement patches or Hot Fixes for one version that you may then need to remove or re-develop for a maintenance release or for the next major version release. This can be a viscous cycle that can be a huge burden on a developer as it taxes precious engineering resources and adds delays on efforts that could be better spent on developing new and user requested features. Or on spending the time and resources on any new products that are in development that often have very specific requirements for the timing window of when a new product is scheduled to be released such as at AES, NAMM, NAB or Messe trade shows.

To solely rely on Time Machine after you have installed a new driver or driver update or after a major OS update is pretty naive and is best case thinking. Jim's experiences are his own based on his specific setup and work flow and doesn't represent all users or all varieties of Mavericks versions and models of Mac computers.

Call or ask any of the major Studios in LA, Nashville or NY, or many of the Grammy level Producers if they are using Mavericks as the main everyday version of OSX and then come to own conclusions about it. Ask any of the Audio hardware and software developers if Mavericks is as problem free with their products as previous OSX versions. Check out how many pro audio products do not yet state Mavericks as being fully supported. I am not saying that Mavericks is not used by Pro's or is unusable, but it is clearly not the most used, stable, reliable or preferred OSX version being used in Pro Audio circles right now.

OSX 10.10 Beta was released to Developers on Monday. So far looking promising for Tascam DM users. TMC & DM F6 drivers both installed without issue. All DM I/O displayed in Audio/MIDI and iTunes playback worked without issue at 44.1k. Able to select stereo channel pairs from 1&2 to 11&12 and process audio via iTunes. Selecting any other channel pairs after 11 &12 resulted in no audio or signal seen in TMC meter bridge or the MU-1000 meter bridge.

Unable to any DAW testing yet as there are some issues attempting to install Nuendo 6.5 or PT11 that need to be resolved. Bugs have been filed with Steinberg and Avid.

If Redbus is checking this: the 1.30f driver on Windows shows Chinese/Japanese signs after clicking the WDM Assign buttons (inputs and outputs). Not that I really use it, but someone else might want to. It looks like this:

ChannelMappingChinese.jpg

Apple just pushed out the first 10.10 Beta Seed update yesterday and I am now able to install and launch 64-Bit versions of Ableton 9, Wavelab 8.5, PT11 and a new UAD Beta but have not gotten any further due other chores I needed to get done with 10.10. I am assuming that Logic X will install and work as that would be so lame of Apple if it didn't so I'll save that for latter. I hope to have some time to test DAW's by the end of this weekend. Cubase 7.5 and Nuendo 6.5 still have not updated their installer or provided a Beta update so waiting on them for the moment.

If Redbus is checking this: the 1.30f driver on Windows shows Chinese/Japanese signs after clicking the WDM Assign buttons (inputs and outputs). Not that I really use it, but someone else might want to. It looks like this:

View attachment 494
Yep I noticed that too last week when I installed! Can we get an English version please or multi language?

Take it down a notch buddy. What works for some doesn't work for others. No one likes to be preached to about what they perceive as "best practices" whether valid or not. Your somewhat good advice is dripping with too much arrogance and a huge turn off. Jim is anything but "naive" and he also doesn't need anyone's help in defending him. However, since it seems you are not aware, Jim is one of many invaluable resources on this very fine forum and thus my need to interject.

Last edited:
Reactions: captdan
yes I originally used the word "farts" in a post..hey you guys are like family I can't help it.

I'm definitely not normal!

While I can't possibly fathom the need for multiple computer rig clones, especially some stored in a closet, I do understand what AudioWave is getting at. But I think non of us are in the dark about the need for backups. For me, I use one window based computer for everything. Internet, recording, office tasks, etc. But, I keep things on my computer separate. All of my recordings and projects are on their own hard drives, which I keep cloned. Studio software, VSTs, VSIs, software licenses and office stuff are kept on another drive. And the windows 7 operating system, main programs, and other crap, are kept on the main C: drive. If windows were to go belly up on me tomorrow, It would not really be anything more than a pain in the ass to reload it on that drive, or buy another drive, and reload it, and be back in business again. Video card craps out? I head down to Best Buy, get another one, load drivers and continue. Not really a need for a complete separate rig. Especially with cheap hard drives.
BTW.....Farts!....I just wanted to play too...

Reactions: cmaffia
It's not like the closet computers have any real value wasting away or sitting around to anyone other than me or a scrap yard. While they are back up's, they are also now retired (G5, 2nd Gen iMac, Windows XP DualCore and XP Alien Laptop) A few times a year I need to pull them out and use them for one thing or another like having to do a recall or use some software that can't be used any other way.

But then I'm not normal as well...

cmaffia, No need for you to get all Snippy. For someone that doesn't like being preached too, you would think that they should know that no likes to be preached too about making helpful comments in a public forum even if they don't like, appreciate or agree with them.

First off, no one would feel the need to get snippy with anyone had they not sounded so arrogant. Secondly, I wasn't preaching and I wasn't commenting on the content of the advice, just the Elitist delivery of it which, to me, sounded very condescending. No one is saying contrary points of view are not tolerated or appreciated but have a little respect when making your point...however passionate you are about your position.

Last edited:
I was making the same point with the term "absolutist." For example, your first piece of "general advice."

"One of the first rules of keeping a stable rig is that once you have done all that needs to be done to get a stable setup that is working well for you, don't mess with it. I repeat - Don't mess with it. It's that simple."

So, you're still running Studio Vision on System 7? I get the whole cool-guy-who-knows-more-than-you voice and the "access to tools you'll never see" bit. But as I said earlier, it's still just one mans experience, and there are hundreds of pros doing everything "wrong" and still doing fine. It's that simple.

Reactions: cmaffia
Thanks for the heads up about the channel assignments, missed that when converting the control panel from one unicode representation to another.

On the mac side, the audio layer in Mavericks got a makeover, and there are things still waiting to be fixed (finally) in 10.9.4 . We've been waiting on each release "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.2, nope" "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.3, nope", "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.4, fingers crossed"

I wouldn't touch 10.10 betas at all until we (the whole audio industry) know that the audio side is at least as stable as 10.9.4 (which is also currently beta), and the majority of audio apps are finally stable on a 10.9 version.

With compatibility on the application (i.e. DAW software) side also being affected by PowerNap and other new technology, it's not a good time to be wagering your studio livelihood on "free" updates to something that was once working fine.

With Windows 8 Firewire, we're still seeing minor chipset differences resulting from Microsoft's Windows 7 firewire re-write. Win 7 had the legacy drivers, Win 8 doesn't.
In our own testing, machines that worked fine with XP and the old drivers are no longer solid under Windows 7/8 - that probably means we need to put together new machines for testing, same as most of you did when upgrading, but it's also important to ask and answer the question why (i.e. firewire chipset compatibility). That is the main reason we're still in beta for the IF-FWdmkII - we don't have the resources to purchase and test on multiple setups until we see a majority of good systems versus bad systems...

RedBus.

As usual, thanks for your updates Redbus. Didn't know Windows 8 doesn't offer the FiireWire legacy driver like Windows 7 does. Even more of a reason not to upgrade until you gents get things sorted out. The best and most cost effective way to test those multiple scenarios is to leverage the community. If the default driver in Windows 7 is the same as Windows 8, then I will gladly help test any new versions you have moving forward.

A customer with intermittent audio problems (back in 10.6 or 10.7 days) sent me their Mac System Info file to try to find out what was the problem.
That machine had been through multiple OS upgrades in place, office management software, Skype chat and multiple DAW software all active, and a keylogging app installed as well (studio owner didn't trust their employees?) I had to tell them, sorry, it's time to dedicate a computer to audio instead of having everything on one system - there's no way to diagnose an audio problem in that mess.

On windows 8 at home, the in-place update to 8.1 broke a number of applications that needed to be reinstalled before they worked again...

RedBus.

On the mac side, the audio layer in Mavericks got a makeover, and there are things still waiting to be fixed (finally) in 10.9.4 . We've been waiting on each release "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.2, nope" "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.3, nope", "we think it's going to be fixed in 10.9.4, fingers crossed"

I wouldn't touch 10.10 betas at all until we (the whole audio industry) know that the audio side is at least as stable as 10.9.4 (which is also currently beta), and the majority of audio apps are finally stable on a 10.9 version.

With compatibility on the application (i.e. DAW software) side also being affected by PowerNap and other new technology, it's not a good time to be wagering your studio livelihood on "free" updates to something that was once working fine.

RedBus.

I agree. I also know that it is not just just Tascam that has Firewire issues with 10.9.1 going forward. I am one of those guys that gets paid to test, debug and play with 10.10 in getting audio apps and audio hardware running stable on it. Since I own and use the DM-4800 to do much of that work, I don't mind feeding back issues I encounter with 10.1o to you if you think that would be helpful. I would expect it would.

I also have been testing with 10.9.4 for other audio software/hardware testing and am now using it as my main Mac OS for the DM-4800 going forward in regards to recording and mixing projects but can easily go back to 10.9.3 or earlier if necessary.

Luckily I have been able to avoid the whole Windows 8 & 8.1 scene as most audio hardware and software providers seem to have no real interest in supporting or developing for it and still suggest and only support Windows 7, which is fine with me.

Garbled WDM channel mapping dialog box fixed in V1.30f9, on the parc_beta page.
Added a dropout count reset button too - planning on fixing a problem where this count resets itself to zero far too often, we want to see the count increasing, and only reset it on our terms. - that's coming later.

I personally agree with the
Garbled WDM channel mapping dialog box fixed in V1.30f9, on the parc_beta page.
Added a dropout count reset button too - planning on fixing a problem where this count resets itself to zero far too often, we want to see the count increasing, and only reset it on our terms. - that's coming later.
Thanks Redbus! Will test tonight.

Here is Driver: 176851 Even better, I downloaded it on July 9th 2014

Attachments

• IFFWDMmkII_Setup_176851_Release.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 223

New threads

Members online

No members online now.