I'm Not In Love, 10cc 1975

Rene Asologuitar

Gear owned
recorder
"I'm Not In Love" is a song by British group 10cc, written by band members Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman in 1975. Written mostly by Stewart as a response to his wife's declaration that he did not tell her often enough that he loved her.

This song is dedicated to my lovely wife, Mimi!!!
I am in love!!!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hey there, what TASCAM gear did u use on this tune? The original is very very well known for the distinctive layered multitrack vocals, and I was expecting you to try a similar effect using your TASCAM recording gear.

Here is a little behind the scenes about the technique:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-10cc-not-love

Hi mixerizer,
I recently replaced my Tascam M-06 Mixer.
And yes, I was thinking about the original layered multi-track, but my gear is quite limiting.
What is your recording gear that would accommodate the layering effect.
Thanks.
Rene

The real trick from the technique is recording a vocal chromatic scale, with each note on separate tracks, made up of more than one singer if possible.

Then, u mute and unmute the notes u need for the chords as they change. Any mixer or recorder should be able to do it w the singers together live, But if u sing the notes yourself and overdub, you would mix each of the notes down to a mono track.

it’s a cool sound they came up with, but it took them weeks just to record all the vocal notes! AND they didn’t have mix automation in place and had to perform the chord changes live during sub mixing!

Reactions: Rene Asologuitar
You could definitely do it this way, modeled after the 10cc technique, or just create a nice layered multi sample and do it in a sampler w o so much stacking and mixer manipulation :)

my first recorder/mixer was a Portastudio 246, and I’m on a DM-4800 now :) I would rather try this tune on the latter than the former, but both could do the job in time :)

Last edited:
Hi mixerizer,
Wow, DM-4800.
10cc did a super job on this recording, given the technology back in 1975.
Probably a piece of cake with the 4800.
Thanks for the info share.
Rene

You’re welcome!
They are going on the used market for a song these days :)

New threads

Members online