Just joined

mudgnome

From
U.K. and Ontario.
Gear owned
DM3200
Hi, just joined,I got myself a DM3200 and looks like I have a learning curve to enter....and lots of reading on this forum.
Cheers.

@mudgnome Welcome aboard. You're right. There is a slight learning curve. But, I believe that like the rest of us you will learn to appreciate the power of this mixer once you wrap your head around it's design philosophy. Best of luck. We will all do our best to make your journey an enjoyable one.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi @mudgnome and welcome indeed. Like Peter said, this is not an easy mixer to learn, but once you get it, you'll appreciate the flexibility of it. And I'm sure you'll get the help you need in this forum. Good luck with the DM!

Reactions: -mjk-
Hey Everyone, I've Just Joined as well and it seems that my steepest learning curve is that I totally cant work out how to start a thread at all.... Being new to forums in general So You Guy's will have to excuse me if I try to give a little helpful advice and then say Help as I don't know how to post else where.....!!!!! Doh

The Good news is that I have been using these desks for quite a while and while there is a learning curve of sorts.... once you learn how to navigate to a few key screens.... then it all gets much easier after that.... On the DM 3200 the key button hiding in plane sight is the module key which with the four buttons beneath the screen allows you to really easily navigate to all of the channel settings eq dynamics etc.... and if you can do that and the input screen.... and the routing buttons for all of the busses and direct to go straight from the pre's to the computer then you've got 75% of if and nearly all of the basic functions for a daw setup.... similarly reading the manual really helps for basic and more advanced things as well... :)

Hope this Helps....!!!!!! But as Peter and Arjan Said the learning curve isn't too bad after the initial stages it all seems to make a lot more sense...!!!!!

Ok now for my bit.....!!!!!

Hi Everyone, I'm Really Hoping That Someone Can Help.....!!!!!!! After an extended period of illness due to a spell in hospital due to extreme occupational burnout.... I started to press my DM 4800 back in to service (had been using 2 Saffire 56 pro's for a while in an attempt to downsize so been stored for a while) and to my dismay have discovered that all is not well....!!!!! :( :( :( :( Basically I get about 2 hours - 3 hours use out of it when everything seems fine.... Before it crashes with the "a serious error occurred, all audio stopped, contact tascam" error message with all of the sample rate frequency led's flashing alternately..... I remember getting this error previously on a very occasional basis however the problem this time is that whereas previously I would be able to reboot and everything would be fine.... Now my previously beloved and I was hoping soon to be again beloved DM 4800 refuses to reboot for at least 2-3 hours where upon it will boot up normally... Also similarly if I turn it off before the inevitable crash even after just a short time....then it will refuse to boot up again for some hours..... And remain stuck on the original Tascam screen with the musical notes...!!!!!!! Similarly I have noticed that the status led's on the processor board which are just visible through the cooling mesh between the screen and the pre's do not light when it refuses to boot..... Due to this and the behaviour of the fault I'm assuming that it is an overheating issue..... I have had a quick look inside and rather frustratingly everything is as clean as a whistle and the fan appears to be running fine...!!!!!! I can't see for the life of me why the cooling should have been compromised during it's time in storage where it was stored under the desk in the studio in a cold moderately humid due to the cold but certainly not off the charts humidity.... I have noticed that the heat sinks are erm.... glued on to the top of each processor core and so I don't know if the coupling might have deteriorated over time or over it's time in storage.... so as a drastic measure I'm not sure as to whether the heat sinks could be detached cleaned up and reseated/recoupled.... As there don't appear to be any spare boards around Ive noticed a couple of the 2 core DM 3200 but none of the 4 core DM4800...... At the moment I managed to pick up a really cheap DM 3200 with a few led's out to keep me going and to use for mobile recording gigs in the future.....and to work towards finally doing this as a career change which doesn't put me in Hospital every couple of Years..... But I'm Really Really Missing the extra functionality and finesse and inputs and outputs of my Beloved DM 4800...... So If anyone could shed any light on the issue I'd Be So Grateful as its such a shame that it's effectively out of action especially as they're such lovely desks..... Also if anyone can offer any suggestions on whether Tascam still offer technical support through kind hearted engineers.... possibly in Tascam So Cal or in Europe or Japan...... Or any other Kind hearted engineers out there..... Or if any one could possibly give me a lead on parts I'd Be So Grateful too.... Thanks So much for everything and its great to finally be a part of the forum now as well....!!!!!!!

Thanks So much once again Chris :)

Hi Chris, and also welcome aboard! First of all, posting a new topic is really easy: just click on the big blue button on top of each subforum (hiding in plain sight as you say) with the text 'Post New Thread' on it..

As to your issue, I'd say first things first, and see if you can run the full diagnostic on the board first: it might tell you where the issue is. To do so, power up the mixer while pushing and holding the Shift key and the '1' and '2'' keys below Output Assign. You'll see the Diagnostic page appear, with various tests of the mixer components. I'd say give them all a try, but use your own discretion - the titles are mostly self-explanatory.

BTW, here you can also do a factory reset: from this screen, select 'SRAM INT for Factory' and Enter and continue. Then do the same at 'SRAM INIT' and after that the cursor will be on 'Exit'.

Hey Arjan, Thank you man, So Much for Getting Back to me So Soon.... I'm So Grateful for the extra info... I was afraid that I'd have to find a 32 bit PC or something to do a full diagnostic so to be able to do one from the Desk is Amazing....!!!!!!! And so I'm So Grateful for you letting me know....!!!!! I also Just downloaded the Service manuals as well so I'm Going to have a good dig through those.... I'm Pretty good at understanding Systems.... so I'm really hopping that I can get to find the answer.... as I'm really missing the extra in's out's and aux's and all together more premium experience of my 4800.... Although I'm So Grateful that the DM 3200 I managed to find as a temporary replacement and solution for mobile recording is turning out to be pretty much rock solid So far..... It seems that quite a few DM4800 users have been getting the "Serious error All Audio has stopped, Contact Tascam" error even on fairly new desks.... The difference unfortunately is that mine won't reboot after it's been on for more than a couple of minutes... all of the cpu cores flash once as normal but then refuse to light approx 2 seconds later like normal when it gets past the initial Tascam Screen on boot up.... when it gets stuck on the Tascam Screen... And as the cores flash once at least I'm starting to think that my overheated cpu cores theory is looking a little less likely.....So there's obviously something stopping it booting properly .... but I'll run the diagnostics and everything else I can do.... and Share what I can find So hopefully it might help other people.... especially if I can find a workable Solution.... The only thing it would be great to know is where/which board the firmware eprom is on......and whether the OS is run on the Processor board or the main board..... but I'll keep ploughing through the manuals and see what I can find..... Thanks So so Much for all of your Help Though man I Really Really Appreciate it and I'll post here and Start a new thread with whatever I can find.... Thanks So so Much for Everything Once Again man I really really appreciate it Chris :)

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online