Lost songs in FAT when USB port open for transfer-Help

tomyg

From
Surrey UK
Gear owned
DP-32SD, Tascam 24
Hi, I've had a 2488 mkii for some years and love it however recently something odd occurred.
I re-mastered an old song, saved the master WAV file to FAT 3 but when I open up the USB port the display on the computer only showed me the old mastered song in FAT2.
So I closed down the USB port, reloaded the song, played the master and there is my new version. Exported again the master as a WAV to FAT3 but again when I opened up the USB only FAT2 displayed and the previous mastered version of the song evident.
I am somewhat confused so would welcome any suggestions and thanks in advance.

Hello Tomyg,

First and foremost, when you say you opened up the USB port what do you mean by this...?, USB ports are not something you usually open up, you simply access a storage device or other USB devices connected to a USB port on a computer i.e desktop or laptop, or dedicated device like Tascam's portastudios equipped with USB, now if you have a certain USB storage device that you're saving to, what kind is it...?, i.e. Flash drive, SD or SDHC card, and is it formatted for FAT16 or FAT32, there really isn't a FAT2 or FAT3, no matter what you may read, so you would have to find that out, it sounds like when you access the USB device on your computer its being read as one type of FAT, maybe FAT16, but your portastudio is reading it as some other type of FAT, if you can still access your new version then you might want to save it to another clean storage device so you don't get confused with a specific name, I would start there, and for your knowledge if your USB storage device is at least 2Gb in size or under, then you can usually format it at FAT16, if your USB storage device is larger than 2Gb in size, then you would usually format it at FAT32, Windows versions from Windows XP up to Windows 8.1 will usually read either FAT format, so I would start with explaining what kind of storage device you actually have, then we can go from there.

Jimi Jones

Last edited:

Members online