M12 Funky Power Switch

dio_g_sol

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi, all. Ive had my Model 12 for about 6 months now. Everything was peachy until a few days ago the power switch started acting a little inconsistent. Id flip the switch 3 to 6 times and unplug everything from it (power supply, audio cables, etc) before the thing would actually turn on. Anyone else have this problem or have a resolution? i figure maybe i should start unplugging it more often but im not sure how much it will really help.

Reactions: Rocky
Hi there,
I have exactly the same problem. I bought my Model 12 one year ago. A few weeks ago it started that I have to use the switch more often in order to switch on the Model 12. I have the feeling that when I downregulate the outputs (main, Headphones) it works better but maybe that is just imagination.
It started on Firmware 1.20. Afterwards I installed 1.21 (two times) and did a factory reset, that didnt help.

Hi Jan, I have made a little headway in diagnosing the problem but not by much. i have noticed there is a tiny pin behind the main pin in the middle that is bent out of place in the power plug on the unit that i think has something to do with the issue i think maybe the pin acts as a contact switch for the power so when the pin is pushed in correctly the power is on. . I plan on trying to take it to get warrantied soon and i will update when i can so that maybe it will help you

Reactions: Rocky and JanTenner
Thank you. Would be interesting to know. It works, but I am a little scared that it could get worse.

I also took a closer look at this problem. I think that we have different problems. In my case I am pretty sure now that it has something to do with current. When I switch over from off to on, off again and then on again fast the device mostly turns on directly. When the Model 12 is running and I switch off and on again it boots up without problems.
So I think it might in my case something a condensator problem or a problem with the electricity in my room.

Hello I had same problem which is now cured, it would only power on if I unplugged the live plug cable and plug back in. I replaced the power supply with same volts and amps ( 15v horby train set) problem solved now powers up from the onboard switch

nice! i ended up taking my model 12 one of the authorized repair centers. they gabe it back to me after a few days said they fixed it and it still did the same thing. after i brought it back it turned out my power switch went bad so they just fit it wjth a new one right in front of me

My Model 12 recently started having this issue as well. I haven't been able to consistently troubleshoot it; I just have to toggle the switch back and forth until it somehow finally powers on. Edit: I've had the unit for about six months.

Hi afterglow,
this is exactly the same issue I have for a few month now. What worked with me is not to switch the device but to switch it off via power strip. This way it turns on directly any time.
So I would think of a switch problem.

Reactions: Rocky and Floydone
Seem like there´s a whole batch of mixers exhibiting the same problem. Mine worked perfectly for about a year and now is showing the same problems described in this threat. Anyone found a permanent solution to this problem? do i need to change the switch or the power supply? thanks for your help!

Its definitely the switch.

Once i brought my mixer back to the authorized repair center closest to me, the guy in there opened it up, tested it with the multimeter and found that the switch was not producing the right voltage.

The repair guy told me my warranty wouldnt cover labor and additionally if i wanted to use the warranty for parts itd take forever for them to ship, so instead he just knocked out the old switch and fit a new one on for me and its been perfect since then

in short, take it to the closest authorized Tascam repair center and see what they can do. It was such a simple fix though that it barely cost me anything and really didnt require the use of the warranty

Has anyone tried to preform this repair the old DIY way?
Part type and description of the switch ?

I am over warranty just barely and low and behold. My model 12 and I play tag until it turns on.
:(
I mean at least it still turns on…. Eventually.

this is something I am comfortable attempting on my own if I can find the same generic part or get them from somewhere?

Love my model12…when it starts.

one question though: has anyone else tried just leaving the standby by switch on and waiting.?
Twice this has worked but it takes about ten minutes and I always miss seeing it happen so ya

Honestly if you have experience with DIY repairs it might be worth a try if you're out of warranty. the guy in the shop let me watch him do it and basically he just used a multimeter to check the voltage on the switch after removing the casing, found the switch was bad and found a replacement switch that fit the slot. and the dude said if id ordered the factory switch it would've taken weeks and been much more costly. granted the repair shop only charged me like 25 bucks for the repair and the switch it might be worth it to scout out an experienced electronics repair guy.

i'd recommend going on tascams website and see if there's an authorized repair center near you and going to them to see if they can fix it even without the warranty or a place that specializes in music electronics

Has anyone tried to preform this repair the old DIY way?
Part type and description of the switch ?

I am over warranty just barely and low and behold. My model 12 and I play tag until it turns on.
:(
I mean at least it still turns on…. Eventually.

this is something I am comfortable attempting on my own if I can find the same generic part or get them from somewhere?

Love my model12…when it starts.

one question though: has anyone else tried just leaving the standby by switch on and waiting.?
Twice this has worked but it takes about ten minutes and I always miss seeing it happen so ya

Does it go off by itself too? There is nothing wrong with leaving a piece of equipment like that, on all the time.

There is nothing wrong with leaving a piece of equipment like that, on all the time.
@-mjk- I see what you are trying to say from a practical standpoint, but there are a number of reasons to shut down equipment anyway I'd say:
  • There is a switch, so there must be a reason it is there and therefor it should work.
  • Something under constant power (creating heat) could become a fire hazard.
  • The components inside are usually not designed to constantly be under power (at least not for a machine like the Model series - or any prosumer audio equipment) and will deteriorate faster.
  • And there's the environmental issue, if you care about it; unnecessary use of power.

@Arjan P my comment was meant as an workaround until he can get it fixed.

Reactions: Rocky and Arjan P
My Model 12 recently started having this issue as well. I haven't been able to consistently troubleshoot it; I just have to toggle the switch back and forth until it somehow finally powers on. Edit: I've had the unit for about six months.

Mine just recently started doing this. What a bummer! Some people here having success at a repair shop. I live about 10 miles from Tascam which is located in Montebello CA. I'll try reaching out to them. I think this is definitely something they should fix, whether it's out of warranty or not.

@dio_g_sol, do you know the make/model or specs of the switch you had installed on your mixer? Same issue on mine.

Hey all! Wanted to chime in since I was having the same problem with my Model 12 as well. I had to flip the power switch back and forth numerous times before it would power up. And it was just constantly getting worse. I finally decided to take it apart and check it out (it was out of warranty and I had just upgraded to the Model 24 so I figured what the heck). Definitely was a bad switch (at least on mine). I replaced it and now it works like a charm. Not a very difficult fix if you aren't afraid to take it apart. There's not even any soldering needed.

Here is a video I made documenting the disassembly and replacement of the switch:

Here is a link to the new switch I bought:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bulgin/H8800VABB/5058458

and a link to the data sheet:
https://www.bulgin.com/products/pub/media/bulgin/data/A_Rocker Switch.pdf

I hope someone finds this info useful!

Chip (aka My Sinister Hand)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.