Headroom

Veteran
From
The Hague, Netherlands
Website
sites.google.com
Gear owned
DM4800
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I've set up my DM4800 to enhance a stereo effect on each (mono) channel by applying a mid-side technique:
- Use Aux snd 5 to add the effect.
- Set delay in Aux 5 master at around 1 msec
- Loopback Aux 5 to ch 59 and 60
- Link ch 59 and 60 / Pan ch 59 full left, ch 60 full right
- Reverse phase on ch 60

I wasn't aware of the mid-side technique until some time ago Muziekschuur suggested it to me as a vocal recording setup. I was suprised by the effect.

Frans

The "simple" Mid side effect is accomplished with a omni dual diafragm microphone and a cardioid condenser. You can use a regular SM58 type for cardiod center but that does hurt the effect a lil as the "stereo effect" lives in the mid high area... (17khz or so).

Channel 1: pan left use regular phase. INPUT OMNI.
channel 2: pan right use out phase INPUT (THE SAME) OMNI.
channel 3 pan center use regular phase use the cardioid condenser

The OMNI microphone is put sideways. It listens to left and right and this gives you the mixture of ambient and the close miced signal mixed.

Now up channel 3 first. Channel 1 and 2 bring them up halfway untill the stereo sound becomes noticeable.

MID SIDE technique is used for mastering aswell and in a sense bringing up a cardiod mic and opening up a stereo reverb over an aux send will give you the same thing... tho wet ofcourse ,,, wich is not usuable for spoken word...

MID side is allso used with an stereo eq mixed in with the original track by mastering engineers. I'm not the person to explain how this technique is used. But it is out there and it will give you a better understanding of the big picture...

Headroom said:
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I've set up my DM4800 to enhance a stereo effect on each (mono) channel by applying a mid-side technique:
- Use Aux snd 5 to add the effect.
- Set delay in Aux 5 master at around 1 msec
- Loopback Aux 5 to ch 59 and 60
- Link ch 59 and 60 / Pan ch 59 full left, ch 60 full right
- Reverse phase on ch 60

I wasn't aware of the mid-side technique until some time ago Muziekschuur suggested it to me as a vocal recording setup. I was suprised by the effect.

Frans

Can you attach an isolated mp3 sample of this technique? Love to hear it

I’ve always been interested in how they created stereo image on the old LPs and found this old article explaining the Mid-Side concept. I thought I pass it along.

Attachments

• Stereo_shuffling_A4.pdf
    187 KB · Views: 23
The problem with MS on a DM4800 console is you can't link 3 channel faders, you an group them but that doesn't link eq, etc.. So I would use an MS decoding plugin on a stereo pair of faders instead, and you save a console channel at the same time.

It has sometimes bugged me that you can't link channels that aren't right next to each other. Yamaha's do this; so half of a stereo pair can be on a different layer and controlled by one fader on the top layer you are working on.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.