Mixing Problems with Model 24

Jeff Matthews

Gear owned
Tascam model 24
I have a Tascam Model 24. The manual is awful! That has to be said.

I have recorded a prerecorded backing track to T24 and an instrumental track on T1. I now want to mix to the output, but can’t seem to be able to do that. I can mix the two separate channels though to the headphone O/P. I am missing something obvious I’m sure. My logic says I should be able to mix the pre-recorded tracks off the SF card onto the O/P XLR’s. This isn’t happening. My hair is now pulled out and on the floor! Any help would be gratefully received in solving this mixing problem. Thank you.

Hm... with saying T24... do you mean Track 24 on the model 24?

If so... I guess you are in for some serious trouble since Model 24 tracks 23-24 ALWAYS are in recording mode and every time you do a mix down OR record a new instrument on channels 1-22, those two tracks will be always recorded as a STEREO file. Witch means you are trying to mix down the same sound you already have on track 24 to... yup track 24... which I guess is a bit awkward.

So I guess that there is some kind of "double jeopardy" going on there.

Instead... do as I do... put your "backing track" on another channel than 24. Personally I often use mono channel 12 or stereo channels 19-20 or 21-22(Bluetooth channel) for my backing tracks. That way you can mix down everything to channel 23-24 as a "master" channel. And also listen to it through headphones and control room speakers output and XLR main outputs,

PS.1. Do you have the button "SD Main Mix Return" above the master fader pushed in (activated)?

PS.2. IF you have the backing track on Track 24 on the Model 24, I guess you had to have recorded it onto some other channel before Model 24 made automatic conversion to a stereo master file on channels 23-24. OR was it recorded to that location directly from channel 24 in your DAW?

PS.3. The out/in routings in your DAW has to be the same as the one in Model 24. On the Model 24 you can't route or "choose" channel 23-24 for recording since the Model 24 does that automatically every time you record something and therefore erase the previous recording on channels 23-24.

PS.4. Agree 100%... the manual is written by some kind of audio & pedagogue fekking imbecile!!!
:mad::evil::confused:...:LOL::p:D;)

Last edited:
The Model 12 manual is much better, and 98% applicable except for the number of channels and a very few new features.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.