Mixing ProTools in the DM3200

Jerome Williams

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200
Hello All,
I know it's been covered and possibly explain many times. I'm trying to figure out how to use the DM3200 to mix my projects in ProTools. I would like to use the effects, eq, etc. in the DM and the plugins in ProTools if that's possible. I'm reading the manual but just don't get it.
Can someone give some input please. All will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...blessings!

Last edited:
Thank you dmartin. I don’t think this what I am trying to do but thank you for reaching out. I think it’s called mixing out of the box?

Last edited:
Do you have the IF-FW 32-32 firewire card? If not, how is your computer audio connected to the DM? I'm doing what you want to do, but with Cubase.

Hi Arjan,
Good to hear from you again.
We might have talked about this before but I can find our conversation I’m hooked up with the IF-FW card. I can control audio, automation, pan etc.

Yes, we did discuss CF-card issues, I remember.
But if you want to mix out of the box, to my understanding that means bringing out the tracks through the FW interface and mix on the desk, sending the stereo mix back to the/a DAW. I do it like that: sending max 32 tracks out of Cubase, mix on the DM including outboard effects and send the stereo mix back to record into Wavelab.

That’s what I want to experiment with to see if I like it better. Can you help me with the set up. I’m using ProTools 12 on a Mac

Well, I have zero experience with Apple products and same for Protools, but I can give you the basics:
1. In PT, send all tracks (or stereo in-the-box submixes) over max 32 channels of the IF-FW to the DM. 2. On the DM, set the first two layers to have these 32 channels as inputs. 3. Apply either DM-inboard EQ, compression and effects and/or external effects and mix to taste - Keep everything out of the red! (Overload) 4. Send the stereo master on two of the 32 FW-channels back to the computer. Depending on what's possible in your setup, record back into PT or another DAW, if Mac allows. Hope this helps

Part of the problem I think is I don’t know how to send the channels out from ProTools. Where do you go to set up on the DM?

I can't help you on the Protools side, but on the DM you select Layer 1 first, then go to the input screen, select SLOT1 under the Source Select section on the right lower side (using the Pod4 encoder). Then for all channels 1-16 select as Input SLOT1-1 through SLOT1-16. Then select Layer 2 and do the same with channels 17-32 and ofcourse the SLOT17-SLOT32 inputs. Now you have 32 channels coming in with Firewire on mixer channels 1-32.

Part of the problem I think is I don’t know how to send the channels out from ProTools. Where do you go to set up on the DM?

I don't use the IFFW card anymore but generally here's how it would go. This is assuming you've configured the IFFW card as 32 channels in and out.

In pro tools, go to setup, I/O...

Output tab, you should see either 32 mono outs or 16 stereo outs on the left side of the window. If you don't see that press the default button and see if that populates all the outputs on your IFFW card. If that's successful you should then be able to assign the individual audio or AUX tracks to the output channels on each track. You might need to do this individually each time you start a project.

I currently mix in the box and have a MOTU 112D interface with a ton of analog inputs connected to outboard converters and preamps. I track with outboard preamps through the DM4800 all via digital inputs. Wildly complicated but it all works smoothly. I regret how awesome it is with this aging hardware. I can see the new Tascam Sonicview 24 doesn't seem to have transport controls so, boo.

Please be more specific for what you don't get.

Reactions: Jerome Williams
I have tons of outputs that pops up. I will post some screenshots later today. I’m sure that’s what I need to post

Depending on how you configured the DM3200 you should have 16 to 32 outputs. Open a project and start assigning the first track to the first output and continue giving each track its own output. Where I run out of knowledge is configuring the DM3200 channel sources to be from the iffw card. It might be slot whatever and then a channel number. Once you have those assignments play the project and see if anything shows up on the mixer. From there you can start figuring out what's what. If it were me, I'm always doing drums, bass, guitars, etc. I'd probably call output in protools something like 1 kick, 2 snare, etc.

I used to mix like this back when I had a DM24 but this was 2003 until 2006 or so and then I went in the box. Got tired of the mix recalls living in the console and not the projects.

Reactions: Jerome Williams
Including a screenshot in your reply
  • upload it to an Image Server (e.g. imgur or ...),
  • paste the resulting link to your image, surrounded by "
    " tags (no quotes), into your reply,
  • or post a thumbnail image, with a link to the big picture into your reply.
Please note: Big pictures in forum threads force out the width of the thread pages so a lot of scrolling horizontally is needed to read the other replies, find the links and type a reply. It's all a bit awkward. Animated gifs can take a long time to download.

Instead, it is better to post a thumbnail image and a link to the bigger picture; that makes reading and replying easier. As an example, using imgur.com (other image servers should have similar mechanisms):
  • upload your image to imgur.com ,
  • hover over the uploaded image until you see the URL, a [Copy] button and a drop-down arrow,
  • click on the arrow and select "Get share links", here are the sorts of screens you should see:
    Ni3QsM3t.png
    >>> https://i.imgur.com/Ni3QsM3.png
  • click [Copy] for the "BBCode (Forums)" link for the uploaded image. then Ctrl+c,
  • paste it into your post AND ADD A 't' to the image filename to create a thumbnail-sized image,
  • paste in the link (to the full-size picture) again AND REMOVE the IMG tags to create a link.
As in:
PHP Code:
iCtdt7ut.png
>>> https://i.imgur.com/iCtdt7u.png
The end result is:
iCtdt7ut.png
>>> https://i.imgur.com/iCtdt7u.png

----------------------------------------------
Attaching a screenshot to your reply

Attach the image file(s) (or a .zip file containing them all) to your reply:
  • in Windows, select the file(s),
  • right-click a file, select Send To ... compressed (Zipped) folder),
  • when you reply, scroll down a bit, open the "Additional Options" section if needed by clicking the double downwards arrows,
    iohZq92.png
  • click on [Manage Attachments], browse to your file, select and Upload

• P.S. taken from Reaper forum.

Last edited:
I figured it out...Whew. It's working just fine. Had to get the understanding cobwebs out...
Thank you all so much!...Blessings

I can help over the phone.

Send me a PM.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.