Model 12/16/24 - Performing a Manual Fade-In / Fade-Out

Mark Richards

Soundaholic
From
Somewhere Near Nashville
Gear owned
DP-24/40-4MTR/M30
One of the shortcomings of the Model 12/16/24 as a stand-alone MTR console is the inability to perform an easy manual fade-in or fade-out when mixing a song because the MAIN stereo fader is not in the mix-down path.

However, there's a simple work-around:
  • Examination of the Block diagram shows the Channel signal can be assigned to the stereo Sub-mix after all Channel strip tools, including the Channel fader.
  • The Block Diagram also shows the stereo Sub-mix Bus looping back into the stereo MAIN L/R Bus (from which the bus signal goes to the 2-Track master recorder - tracks 11/12, 15/16, 23/24, respectively).
During the mix-down process, for those times when it's desirable to perform a manual fade for a song:

Rather than assigning the Channels to the MAIN bus during mix down:
  • Assign the Channels to the stereo Sub-mix bus and assign the Sub-mix bus to the MAIN bus.
  • Use the Sub-mix bus fader to control the manual fade as the song is recorded onto the 2-Track Master.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe that Tascam released a mixer that can't record a fade out off the Main 2-mix fader.

Just tried this it does work but if you have effects applied (i had delay applied to two tracks) you can still hear it when the sub fader is lowered untill you fade the effects.

Reactions: -mjk-
How do you fade the FX?

fade effects by turning down effect knobs on channel strips or effect knob on effect section

I call that a production nightmare.

... if you have effects applied (i had delay applied to two tracks) you can still hear it when the sub fader is lowered until you fade the effects...fade effects by turning down effect knobs on channel strips or effect knob on effect section

Thanks Robin. I've updated the "Tip" post with a "caveat" to reflect the FX return issue.

That can't really be true though, can it? A mixing console that interfaces with the computer USB and can mix tracks but no fade out capability?

I'm confused about this thread... The model 16 and the model 12 both have a button right above the main fader that says 'POST REC'. Doesn't this mean that the recording is after the main fader if this button is on?

Reactions: Floydone
From the most recent Model 12 & 16 OMs (October 20, 2020) on the Tascam web site:
POST REC switch
Select the send position of the signal recorded to the SD card.
When this switch is on, signals from after the MAIN fader are recorded to the SD card.

So TASCAM has fixed their mistake in the newest versions of the Model 12 & 16 mixers by changing the function of the upper button in the Master Fader section.

The picture and OM for the Model 24 do not show this change (still calling that button the "SD Main Mix Return"), but that could just be another typical TASCAM not-paying-attention-to-the-details on their web site and in their owner manuals.

mj, this info should be added as an update to the sticky post, yes?

Moderator Comment: Yes Mark. Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused about this thread... The model 16 and the model 12 both have a button right above the main fader that says 'POST REC'. Doesn't this mean that the recording is after the main fader if this button is on?
Yes it does, press it in and the Master Fader will perform as it should giving you the ability to fade in or out your entire mix down

I’m relatively new to my Tascam Model 12 ( about a year of using it). This post had me very confused regarding Fade In/Out using the Master Fader. Some of the information here is just wrong. I belong to another Tascam Group on FB. The moderator is from Tascam. He confirmed that both the Model 12 & 16 have the Post Rec Button that when pressed in allows the Master Fader to perform Fade In/Outs to the mix down.
Here is his quote when I inquired:

“Tascam Sam

The 12 and 16 have always had the Post Rec buttons and their functionality hasn't changed

Using the Sub mix to do a fade in and out on a Mixdown is only necessary on the Model 24.”

“Tascam Sam

Floyd O'Neil We updated the manual in 2020 to show the VAMP functionality and include the OBS/streaming setup but the Post Rec button functionality never changed. Others in the forum may have not known about the Post Rec button and what it does”

Original Model 12 Screenshot.jpg 16.jpg m-24 screenshotpg.jpg
Well, cut my legs and call me shorty.

These OM cover page snaps for the Model 12 (released Jan 2020) and Model 16 (released Sep 2019) have buttons labeled as "SD Main Mix Return" and buttons labeled "Post Rec". The Model 24 (released Aug 2018) does not.

The subsequently released 12 and 16 corrected the 24's fader issue by changing the function of the upper button in the Master Fader section of the 12 and 16 to "Post Rec", and placing the "SD Main Mix Return" button in a new location.

The 12/16 Block Diagrams show the "Post Rec" function in the Main Mix L/R circuit.

As time alows, the relevant posts in the "Tips & Tricks" sticky thread will be adjusted accordingly to reflect this clarification of my post #12 in this thread.

Last edited:
That can't really be true though, can it? A mixing console that interfaces with the computer USB and can mix tracks but no fade out capability?

Yeah.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.