Model 12 Audio Glitch From Windows Applications

AltTuning

From
Colorado, USA
Gear owned
iXR, Model 12
Has anyone had an issue with glitchy audio from Windows applications? I've noticed a "chirping" or "squeaking" sound intermittently. I have not noticed it with any ASIO programs like my DAW, only Windows applications like watching Netflix or YouTube videos in Chrome or during Zoom or Teams meetings. The only time I experienced similar issues with my iXR was when trying to plug it into my dock instead of straight to the laptop, but I have my M12 straight into my laptop's USB port and also get the same behavior when not docked at all. I'll attach a sound sample and a screen shot of the spectrum -- it's got the same odd pattern at 8k and 16k. I don't think it's the compressor, EQ, etc. in the channel strip because it shows up in recordings when set to pre-comp, which points me towards the USB connection or Windows driver. (I'm running the TASCAM drivers).

Reactions: madem
You have to use a hosting service and post a link. That goes for photos too.

Yep. See my posts/thread. Same issue I had. Good luck trying to get Tascam to pay attention to it :/ They gave me the run around constantly trying to tell me it was because I had mismatched audio rates, when I hadnt. It was infuriating, and very hard to get proper responses from them. I think its worth you sending this to them tho so they maybe will get on it. I notice they have a new firmware out that is very vague about what it does, something to do with an audio IC change?

However, the noise eventually went away via one specific USB port on my motherboard, so I didnt send the unit back.

The issue came back when using my Raspberry Pi, so its unusable there. No other device I have gets this error, in either my PC or my RPi. I suspect the Model 12 is particularly susceptible to some electrical interference that no other device I have is prone too? Maybe its picking up on some slight ground issue or something?

Anyway, tldr is make sure you try all USB ports.

Thanks for the tip, and the confirmation of the issue. I'll also report it to TASCAM as they should be aware it's affecting multiple people. With any luck it's a driver issue that can be resolved in a future update. In addition to different ports, since i get the same issue on 2 different computers I'm thinking to try a different cable instead of the included cable just to eliminate that -- the cable doesn't feel like a particularly-good cable and might be more susceptible to noise.

I'm curious if you ever experienced the issue with ASIO applications, like a DAW? AFAIK for me it's only affecting the Windows apps, but I also spend many more hours listening to audio from Windows apps than in my DAW -- one of the points of the M12 was to be able to turn off the computer while doing most of my work and just use my DAW for final mixing/mastering.

Edit: I see in your post you are not having the issue with ASIO applications -- going to also cross-link your post here for others

https://www.tascamforums.com/thread...d-misreading-as-a-model-24-broken-again.8736/

TBH, I got fed up of the whole thing and havent really used the M12 since. I got my RPi set up with Reaper, and once I found the M12 had the same problem with the RPi, I gave up and have just gone back to using a PC and Reaper.

I was wanting to use the M12 more as a standalone device any way and transfer songs over to the PC for finalising, but it still completely took the wind out of my sails and I havent touched the M12 since my final post in that thread. I'd had enough.

I havent tried the M12 again since this mysterious firmware update Tascam put out, regarding audio IC change. I should email them to find out what the hell that actually is as they dont explain it at all on their site.

I've been doing some testing -- on firmware 1.22 I actually got the glitch less often when I moved the M12 to my docking station, the exact opposite effect it had on my iXR. I also got the glitch when working in an ASIO app (Reaper) when mixing some mixes that had some higher-CPU plugin chains, but not sure if it had anything to do with it.

Updated to 1.23 last night to fix the other problem I was having with using the M12 as an audio input device and so far after a few hours of Zoom and Teams meetings as well as several YouTube and Netflix videos no glitch. *knocks on wood* Let me know if you try the firmware update and how it goes if you do.

Oh, new firmware. Interesting. Thanks.

There is another thread on here about how the M12 has a lot of noise on one EQ setting. The new firmware appears to say it addresses this issue.

Gonna install it later today. Nice one.

1.30 might have fixed things here. Only been about 20 minutes so far tho.

Be great to know if it helps you at all!?

I updated to 1.30 on Thursday and at first was optimistic, but the problem is still there for me. I want to say it is less so and also quieter though, so maybe they tweaked something? I've managed to catch a couple samples by recording on 1/2 pre-comp like before so I'll send them to TASCAM and see if they have any more information.

It seems most likely to happen right after booting my computer, sometimes when I open other programs like I'm watching a video in Chrome and open up Firefox or Outlook, but not entirely repeatable. In Reaper, using ASIO, I can sometimes get it to happen if I have a lot of plugins running in a session -- experimented with different buffer sizes, but haven't found much repeatable there either.

Fortunately it's not that often for me -- just enough to be annoying, but not so much it's unusable. I'd be curious to hear how it's been going for you since upgrading.

It came back while using Media Player Classic. Something def changed tho, as altho it came back, it was less pronounced. As you say, it seems like something has been tweaked at last.

They clearly know the issue is there and are refusing to cop to it officially as an issue. Which is infuriating.

1 thing I noticed it MPC tho, if I choose direct sound, which is listed as 0080000 as oppose to the one listed as 00200000, it seemed to go away. I went back to using my other audio interface tho, but now you've reminded me, I'm going to go back to the M12 and see if it holds out?

I suppose I need to find out what the difference is between these 002/008 direct sound listings I have...

Reactions: AltTuning
The noise is still coming back but its much rarer instead of all the f-cking time, which it was previously.

Tascam clearly know this is an issue. I should get back in touch with em and see if they'll actually talk about it this time.

Well, its back. Soundcloud and Foobar are unusable. Slightly less pronounced in 44k, but its still very there and really quite harsh.

EDIT: Media Player Classic is still fine tho, YouTube is fine, BBC iPlayer is fine. Such a strange issue.

Last edited:
i've also had the issue and i think it largely has to do with the cable & length. i initially used the model 12 with the same usb-c that came with my focusrite and didn't have any issues. after using two different 10ft cables (one usb 2.0, other 3.0) the distortion was unavoidable.

i switched back to the focusrite cable and now the distortion occurs when doing something "disruptive" - like turning on a second monitor while watching a video or opening a game while listening to music. also i noticed it stopped working if i plugged it into a port other than the one i used when i first installed the driver.

maybe the mixer is sensitive to driver changes/dpc latency. i'm fed up with the issue so i'm just going to build a separate pc for audio and hope it disappears

Reactions: madem and -mjk-
Reactions: -mjk-
i've also had the issue and i think it largely has to do with the cable & length. i initially used the model 12 with the same usb-c that came with my focusrite and didn't have any issues. after using two different 10ft cables (one usb 2.0, other 3.0) the distortion was unavoidable.

i switched back to the focusrite cable and now the distortion occurs when doing something "disruptive" - like turning on a second monitor while watching a video or opening a game while listening to music. also i noticed it stopped working if i plugged it into a port other than the one i used when i first installed the driver.

maybe the mixer is sensitive to driver changes/dpc latency. i'm fed up with the issue so i'm just going to build a separate pc for audio and hope it disappears

I dunno. Im using the cable that came with the Model 12. Im using a PC I've had for about 10 years, built specifically for audio. In the last decade its had at least 4 or 5 audio interfaces attached to it, all working with no problems. I've tried different cables on the M12, no dice. I've never had cable problems with my other audio devices.

Its only the Model 12 that gives me issues. You'd be better off ditching the Model 12 and buying a different mixer than building a whole new PC/switching to Mac just on the off chance that the Model 12 might not be as shit/inconsistent as it appears to be :D

Considering there are quite a few of us having issues, the chances are high that a new PC/Mac will exhibit the same stupid issues as the issue is with the Model 12.

FWIW, I just reported this to TASCAM, hopefully as more of us do so they will be more likely to address the issue. I had been holding off as new firmware versions came out and I wanted to test it fully before reporting, trying different cables, USB ports, etc.

Windows drivers may have their limitations, but bottom line is the Model 12 is advertised as being an audio interface that works with Windows, so it should do so. Other audio interfaces work and don't have this issue, including the TASCAM iXR. If it wasn't for this one issue, I'd be extremely happy with the M12 -- other shortcomings I've been able to work around, or were fixed with the past couple of firmware updates.

Thanks for your efforts! I will submit a report as well :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.