Model 16 scratchy tinny noise

Hello I've had this same problem while using Logic Pro with my model 16, I changed the cable to the one my printer uses, same length and I changed the port while I was at it. That solved the issue for me. hope this helps someone out there. Cheers!

Yes, USB cables do wear out. One should always buy the best USB cables they can find when using them for audio.

Hey Luke,

Nice one to watch out for, and thanks for identifying it - but i wonder though - how did you work out the bit rate of your M12 during normal computer playback ( i.e, not when playing back its own recording?) I know its default playback rate is 16-bit to playback a recording.

Thanks,

I got my Model 12 today. Its disappointing to hear so many people having the same issue and Tascam claiming no knowledge.

Anyway. I too have had this annoying repetitive noise coming and going. Sounded like USB whine, or as Luke said, the sound a mismatched audio rates...

I've found the issue here tho, and it wasnt the lead at all, as I'm using the lead it comes with...

Its the driver.

ASIO works fine. Never a single issue in Reaper. But playing a movie was a nightmare. As soon as I switched to the internal audio renderer, the issue has gone completely. So its a directsound/waveout Windows issue here.

Its totally cleared up now I changed renderer in the software, and ASIO never exhibits this issue.

Its the windows driver, for me.

Posting in case it helps anyone else.

Reactions: -mjk-
Moreover, it seems to be occuring with youtube only when the page isnt the main focus and I'm doing other stuff (like writing this message).

Some sort of audio priority issue? There is no way to set Foobar to an internal renderer or similar tho, so I'm getting this issue loads when trying to play music via Foobar.

Emailed Tascam support. Ive had this mixer less than 3 days, I really dont want to send it back for a refund but this noise is horrible and intolerable.

Reactions: BazzBass
Thanks! And thanks, that is a fantastically comprehensive link.

However, without sounding like too much of a know it all, there was little in there I didnt already try or already do. That being said, I think I tracked the error down, but I'm not sure. I'll do some more trial and error to check and report back.

Fingers crossed, I've eliminated the issue.

@madem not everything in that document is applicable to everyone. But things like the power management of the USB ports was something that definitely did make a difference for me with signal reliability.

Looking forward to the followup.

Reactions: madem
@BazzBass Windows has always benefitted from a gutting/severe fiddling for audio since I started using Win 98 way back when :)

@-mjk- USB power management is something I've had issues with before too. Thats a great comprehensive link. I have at least one person to send it on too :)

As for this horrible noise, I'm confirming its gone, for now. I have a feeling it was removing the SD card that did it? I'm gonna have to do some testing tho to check.

Tascam support responded, saying no one else has reported this error, which is what I read was their response to another user with the same issue :)

To Buzz’ point... I suppose with a very good windows computer that is dedicated and tuned to a particular DAW it’s not so bad, but for me using just a mediocre laptop with its share of bloatware, DAWs are kinda painful.,. glitches, delays, crashes. All the time.

For me, the biggest delight of staying as much as possible within the Model and DP product environments vs a DAW is simply the immediacy and virtually glitch-free use experience.

Within 15 seconds of startup, there I am making music or mixing song. Never a pause or missed beat. Is it limited vs a DAW? Why sure it is. But I know my talent is the bigger driver and limit to the final outcome vs access to a certain effect process or plugin.

The computer is on the desk to manage file transfers storage and connectivity, and the DAW is there too when something specific is required.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Last edited:
I think this error might be down to exclusivity mode within Windows audio devices settings. I get the issue intermittently and rarely with exclusive mode turned on.

Its normally something I turn off immediately.

I can now get thru listening to an album again, or watching a film. Its occasionally happening with streaming media but rarely.

in this case we are responding to a specific issue, and it involves windows and glitches, so it has relevance. It shows what a pervasive problem recording on Windows is.
Well, the way I read it, the issue was with Windows Audio drivers in combination with the Model 12 - where the Windows PC is purely a sound source to the Model 12. There realy is no need to start again about Windows being 'good enough to record with' as a DAW.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Confirming...

Media Player set to exclusive mode (internal renderer), no error noise. Media Player set to non exclusive mode (not using the internal renderer), and I get that horrible noise within minutes.

Well, the way I read it, the issue was with Windows Audio drivers in combination with the Model 12 - where the Windows PC is purely a sound source to the Model 12. There realy is no need to start again about Windows being 'good enough to record with' as a DAW.
I didn't think I needed your permission to join in the conversation. I'm not comfortable with someone telling me what I can say and when and where I can say it. I try to help people where I can, if it bothers you that some things are repeated,remember that not everyone has gone through every post on here beforehand. Someone may learn something new from some old news.

If I sound pissed off, I am.....

To be clear, I have no problem with any other audio device, and no issues with Windows.

This is purely down to the Tascam Model 12 I have not working correctly.

I have been sending my findings to Tascam, and hopefully they will be on the case. Another 'I've mentioned this to the engineers and they've never heard of anything like this' rejection and the mixer is being returned to the shop. Multiple threads on this forum show that I'm not alone with this error noise, so hopefully Tascam will be happy to squash a bug instead of just trying to defend themselves.

Reactions: Arjan P

New threads

Members online