Model 24 - How to Create Stereo Master with levels/eq/fx

Dan On Drums

Website
www.allthedrums.com
Gear owned
Model 24, DR-40X
I've "RTFM" (read the f***ing manual) and can't figure out how to create a stereo master on those tracks #23 and 24.

I thought when I would use "stereo mix export" that it was using my set volume levels as well as eq/fx but that doesn't appear to actually be happening.

What the quickest to way to convert 6 or so individual tracks into a stereo wav track?

Thanks for the help.

That took some snooping...

When the unit is recording it is always writing the mixed down to tracks 23 and 24.
So if you add effects and/or adjust eq after the initial take you have to record the track again and that will overwrite tracks 23 and 24. When you use the "stereo mix export" function it uses tracks 23 and 24 and creates a *.wav file located in the "music" folder on the SD card.

Glad I figured that out.

The manual is pretty bad.

In that respect, it sounds just like the DP machines. Every time you do a mix, it overwrites the previous mixdown file. It's up to you to export the file and save a copy if you want to keep it.

And in retrospect it makes complete sense as it's unrealistic to think that the "export stereo track" could record the updated eq/fx/levels and create a *.wav file as fast is it does. So one must update/overwrite tracks 23 and 24 by hitting the record button and letting the track play through with all the new settings...

Definitely something you would expect to find in the manual... But not this one. :)

Reactions: -mjk-
Right. It's not rendering the mix like a DAW.

Can you punch in & out on stereo mix tracks 24 & 24 ?

@psymatix try and see. It won't hurt anything. Set up a two or three channel mixdown and try it. Let us know.

It’s very methodical, like a tape recorder. Don’t touch anything before actually mixing it. Every FX/EQ/LVL will be recorded if you press the rec button on the onboard recorder. But you must to have everything recorded already. Moreover the stereo export will be played back on the channels 21/22 (the Bluetooth channel).

You can even record automations too, but that’s done manually.

Peace ✌

Hi, I'm new to the model 24. Migrating from a DP32-SD, which I lost I'm a burglury. I am also trying to get a two-track stereo mix down so I can load it and play it through my phone. where is this "export stereo track" option?

Thanks!

Hi There Miroslav - Press "menu" and then use the multi-jog wheel to scroll down and you should see "stereo mix export"

That took some snooping...

When the unit is recording it is always writing the mixed down to tracks 23 and 24.
So if you add effects and/or adjust eq after the initial take you have to record the track again and that will overwrite tracks 23 and 24. When you use the "stereo mix export" function it uses tracks 23 and 24 and creates a *.wav file located in the "music" folder on the SD card.

Glad I figured that out.

The manual is pretty bad.

Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I'm kind of new to recording and recently picked up a Model 16 and I'm running into the same issue. What exactly do you mean by "record the track again"?

Reactions: Brian Davis
@N_Blender, I had the same question (with my new Model 12) but I think I've figured it out. I had recorded individual tracks, then set a mix with levels and panning, but then when I did 'stereo mix export', none of that took. I think what @Dan On Drums means by 'record the track again' is to, once you've set your mix, disarm the 'rec' buttons on all tracks (no new input), rewind to the beginning, then hit 'record', listen thru, then hit 'stop'. This will print the mix. Then you can do 'stereo mix export' to send the wav to your PC.

You have to actually record the Mixdown. These devices do not render a mix like a DAW. The stereo master track is always in record arm mode, so your advice is correct. Disarm the recording buttons on all the tracks and then record your Mixdown.

I was MIA for a while, but mjk has it covered.
Basically tracks 23/24 work like a stereo tape so when you press record with no tracks armed it sends the mix with the fx to channels 23/24. Then when you do a stereo mix export it sends what was most recently printed on tracks 23/24.

Hope it's all working for you!

@Dan On Drums ! I hope all is well with you. You have no idea how many times I wish you had been available to answer a question because you are an actual Model 24 owner and user. Glad to have you back!

Ha! Hopefully I'll be around for a bunch. Sometimes I get on my motorcycle and just ride around for months. LOL.

I'm very happy with the unit now. After the firmware update in June I can send the main stereo output to OBS and Skype which is a big improvement from what I originally was doing which was using the sub outs to go directly to the computer. Which was a little clunky and didn't have any effects.

Sounds so much better now.
My current project is going through Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials for fun and recording what his charts tell us to play. Sounds pretty good!

Only using 4 mics. 3 SM57's and a Beta52.

I'm very happy with the unit now. After the firmware update in June I can send the main stereo output to OBS and Skype which is a big improvement from what I originally was doing which was using the sub outs to go directly to the computer. Which was a little clunky and didn't have any effects.

Are you doing that through USB?

Nice audio on the video. Using the Beta on the kick?

I like the minimal mic setup. Most of the iconic Queen records were done with only 3 or 4 mics on the drums.

I am doing it through the USB, and yeah, the Beta is on the kick.
I have an advantage of a vaulted ceiling (angled) so I think that helps the acoustics a bit. Prior to having the foam up though the ring of nasty overtones was pretty brutal.
I'm finally satisfied enough. I'll likely throw down for a stereo pair of condensers here soon though. Budget and quality considerations are leading me to the Shure KSM137's.
This will be a never ending money pit. The value on these Tascam mixers is really incredibly when you start adding up the cost of everything else.

Reactions: -mjk-
@N_Blender, I had the same question (with my new Model 12) but I think I've figured it out. I had recorded individual tracks, then set a mix with levels and panning, but then when I did 'stereo mix export', none of that took. I think what @Dan On Drums means by 'record the track again' is to, once you've set your mix, disarm the 'rec' buttons on all tracks (no new input), rewind to the beginning, then hit 'record', listen thru, then hit 'stop'. This will print the mix. Then you can do 'stereo mix export' to send the wav to your PC.

Coming from a DAW world I'm not so sure I would figure this out. I was stuck for a moment until I found this post. I can't seem to find any mention of this in the manual.

Thanks!

Reactions: jbarnhardt

New threads

Members online

No members online now.