Model 24 Manual Now Available

SocProf

Gear owned
DP-24SD
https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/download

Having browsed through the manual, I have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping that the Model 24 would be a next generation portastudio that also functions as a live mixer and a recording interface. Now it is clear that it lacks basic portastudio functions like editing*, bouncing, mixing, and mastering.

If you already own a DP and want improved recording quality (from better preamps and AD converters), I suppose you could do the tracking on a Model 24 and then export the tracks to your DP. Unlike the Zoom LiveTrak series, the Model 24 has auto punch-in, making it a more capable tracking device. Of course, you could also move your tracks to a DAW to finish the job, which is probably what Tascam expects.

*The "Editing" section of the manual lists "Clearing tracks" and "Importing tracks." Obviously, this is not even close to being adequate without using another device.

Edit: Taking another look at the manual, it looks like you might be able to mix your tracks. The manual doesn't explain this function well (no surprise).

Last edited:
I read the manual, I don’t see a option of assigning inputs or copy and pasting tracks. (There’s nothing wrong with that). I just don’t think I’ll be able to use it in my studio.

If I'm not mistaken, inputs are hard assigned (each track has a physical input).

You are right, no copying and pasting of tracks.

"Thank you very much for purchasing the TASCAM Model 24 Multitrack Live Recording Console."

The emphasis on "live recording" in this sentence from the OM pretty much seems to set out the intended use that TASCAM sees for the 24.

The manual is so poorly written it isn't even clear that the 22 available tracks can be mixed down to a stereo master within the unit. The specifications, under recordable channels, lists 22ch + 2 stereo mix, and under connecting to a computer, the OM says "You can also export track and stereo master files from songs to the computer". Under recording, the OM states "The MAIN MIX L/R bus does not have a REC button, but it is always in recording standby. The signals of the MAIN MIX L/R bus will always be recorded if the record button is pressed." That raises even more questions regarding overdubs and punching. :(

I suppose the 24 might qualify as a porta-studio, but not when compared to the DP-xx editing and bounce capabilities. I need to study the block diagram to divine whether there might be another way to bounce tracks on the 24. So far it looks like the editing capabilities have been crippled.

This is the worst TASCAM user manual I've ever seen. Ugh!

Last edited:
Reactions: SocProf
"This is the worst TASCAM user manual I've ever seen. Ugh!"

Pretty much. :(

I'm wondering if the product and manual were rushed to compete with Zoom's LiveTrak L-20.

Reactions: emmanuel
So has anyone bought one and gotten to know it? My SX-1 isn't going to last forever (much as I wish it would, I love it) and I have been looking at the Model 24. I can't figure out, based on the manual and other docs, whether or not a computer/DAW is required or only optional. Which is it?

Tascam calls it "all in one" but there is fuzziness around whether you can mix and master on it. If you can't, it's not realy "all in one", is it?

sxuser, this topic has been covered extensively and recently in other threads. A search should turn them up for you. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I can't figure out, based on the manual and other docs, whether or not a computer/DAW is required or only optional. Which is it?

It's not a portastudio, it's a a small format mixer that can multitrack record aimed at I think bands primarily. It records with or without a computer, it has an internal card. So you don't have to bring a computer - that's good in my book. You can still play back tracks from the card, so you can even pre sound check without the band present from the last gig you recorded.

You can mix songs on it, but the compressors are routed before recording path, on playback you can't use them I believe. And the faders are not motorized and not midi, so you cannot use it as a DAW controller. But you could listen through it while you mix in Cubase or whatever.
It's fairly small, and simple and I think worth it for a band at $900.

- Will Miho

I suppose the 24 might qualify as a porta-studio, but not when compared to the DP-xx editing and bounce capabilities. I need to study the block diagram to divine whether there might be another way to bounce tracks on the 24. So far it looks like the editing capabilities have been crippled.

This is the worst TASCAM user manual I've ever seen. Ugh!

Some of the best features on a DM4800 were extremely unclear in the manual. Like how you can assign any input to any output. Perhaps the philosophy is smart people will figure it out, and you'll keep others out of trouble that way.

But it is not "crippled" - that's a derogatory thing to say. That term refers to needless software limitations imposed to upsell you and this is a hardware unit, it is a live sound mixer that records and it has minimal bussing. It has the 2 mix buss, the sub mix buss, and the 3 aux busses. If you want to mix tracks down live, you can route them to the sub buss, use cables and patch the sub bus out into a stereo channel and record that channel. Same with the aux sends.

- Will Miho

Old news Will (8 months ago).

This thread (and just about every other thread on the Model 24 circulating in 2018) started in the Portastudio 2488/DP-24/32 Forum when people were still trying to figure out if the Model 24 was or wasn't a portastudio.

In that context, if it was supposed to be the next iteration of portastudio, then compared to a DP-24/32SD, TASCAM crippled the on-board all-in-one-box overdub, editing and bounce capabilities.

Since then, the consensus was reached that the Model 24 isn't a portastudio and it now has its own forum under "TASCAM Digital Equipment".

So all the former comparisons to the DP-24/32SD are moot, IMO.

As to the owner manual, back in the 70s and 80s TEAC/TASCAM manuals were arguably among the best available educational material on the theory and practice of multitrack recording; and as it applied to using their products, developed with both the novice and experienced in mind, repleat with easily understood processes, explanations, examples, tips, etc., created by people with both excellent writing skills and excellent knowledge of the hardware and how to use it.

Those TEAC/TASCAM writers knew how explain their products to those dipping into home and semi-pro recording for the first time, as well as to their more experienced customers.

Today's gang of writers at TASCAM can't even come remotely close. I talked about that here:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/tascam-voice-of-the-customer-are-you-listening.5182/#post-25380

Last edited:

New threads

Members online