Model 24 Multi Jog Fix? Help!

Finally reached the shop today. What I needed wasn't the encoder-- that got replaced-- but the board that it attaches to. The tech hadn't heard anything and it hadn't arrived, so he called Tascam. The CS person became very apologetic when they found out he was asking about something from the "Model" series and said it would still take some time; after a little prodding they said that they're currently expecting the boards in October. So about 20 months from when the order was first placed.

Reactions: -mjk-
You mean to say that much of the delay was caused by a misunderstanding between product lines?

It sounds like it's the whole line. It's a little confusing that the model is called Model (16/24/etc).

To summarize it all since my posts have all been a bit too long: all the recorders in the Model series are prone to a particular board failure having to do with the digitizer chip that renders them useless as recorders (functionality as a mixing board isnt affected).

The timeline for when the replacement boards will be available has changed a few times since summer 2021 and right now Tascam is saying they'll be ready in October. So even if you buy one new on warranty, it can't get repaired by an authorized shop; I figure there's a chance Tascam could replace the whole unit though.

What I alluded to when I mentioned what the customer service person said was that it sounds like they've been getting an awful lot of calls about this problem.

I'm baffled by the whole situation. If somebody's reading this thinking of buying one used: don't do it!

@TVsAndyGriffith thanks for sharing this. Since it affects the digitizer, I assume it knocks out both MTR and PC recording :(.

Any idea what causes the failure (someone speculated earlier in the thread that pressing the jog wheel might flex the board). I've got a Model 24, so thought I'd ask in case there's something I can do to avoid the issue developing (other than not use it :rolleyes:).

Hello @TVsAndyGriffith,

I came across this thread because of the title 'model 24 multi jog fix'.

I have a Model 24 purchased in 2019, so it is clearly out of warranty.

Everything is still working fine except that the multi jog button sometimes does not work, and sometimes it does. This has been developing over time, and it was working perfectly early on. so I was looking to see if there was any remedy if this knob stops working completely. There is the tactile click when you push it but often nothing happens.

I am not having any issues recording live yet and I most often using all 12 mono channels at once, so the additional issues that came up here are not affecting me at this time. But the multi jog button is needed to create new songs, and that's a problem. I am anticipating the multi jog button failing soon.

I understand that the replacement was straightforward. What was the cost for the service center to do it for you, if you don't mind sharing?

It's now late October. Did you ever get the unit back repaired ?

The thing is still in the shop! In mid-September I called and checked the status. They'd finally heard from Tascam about the part I need (it's been long enough that I can't remember which part-- either a standalone chip or a whole board with a proprietary chip attached) would finally be shipped out October 18th. I actually called back again a few hours ago and they don't have it yet.

Hopefully this is the home stretch. When I do finally get it back and see an invoice, I'll leave some details here about the parts and their prices. With any luck, that'll be sometime this year.

@TVsAndyGriffith you have the patience of Job! At least you did get your money back at the beginning of this mess.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.