Model 24 Noise/Hum

muttomatic

From
Twin Cities
Gear owned
Model 24, 244
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Switching from Live to MTR there's a huge increase in what sounds like line noise. Nothing armed, nothing plugged in, but if you move the faders up on any track the ground floor gets very loud. Channels 1 and 2 are the noisiest. Same issue if you turn the channel gain beyond 1/4. Headphone out is also noisy beyond halfway. And this is on every output. Sounds like a lot of white noise. :/

Reactions: MrFeenix
Has anyone had any noisy channels on their Model 24? I thought it was my steel players amp when I recorded, but come to find out channel 3 has an audible hiss whenever it’s engaged. Live or USB, gain at zero, compressor at zero, EQ flat, nothing in either input, push fader up and you can hear it and see it on the meters(on the 24 and in the DAW) before you get to zero. All the other channels are dead quiet.

I have the same problem with my new Model 16. Have you found a solution?

I'm getting the same with my Model 24 . It increases when you switch between Live and MTR. I recorded Line outs from my RD-6 drum machine yesterday and the noise on the SD recording was ridiculous. Even with nothing plugged in and the gain on 0 and track armed it's just noise whether through Main or just headphones. Is this normal or have we got damaged desks?

I saw your other post I'm getting noise on all channels as per your last post.Nothing plugged in same as with plugged in.Noise increases from Live to MTR. recorded something yesterday and the recording was terrible ..noise all over it. I can't seem to find out if its a problem with all or just mine.

The 16 and 24 are analog mixers with an on-board digital recorder. So they have analog specs.

According to the specs in the OM, with faders and other volume controls set to unity gain (not maxed out), at unity gain the Main Out has an S/N of -80 dB. That means 99.9% of the time, the internal electronic white noise hiss of the unit will be masked easily and completely by material recorded at normal levels.

Any other type noise would be due most likely to cheap or defective cables, or RFI. External sources of RFI (including a computer - connected or not - or a computer monitor), and corrective steps are beyond the scope of this forum.

A 24/16/12 forum search turned up 4 pages of posts related to "noise", none of which were authoritatively found to be due to unit "defects". You may want to take a look at those also (click on the "Site Results" tab).

If the above have been conclusively ruled out, then a call or email to TASCAM support may be necessary. If so, a clearly stated, precise, detailed description of the issue, using TASCAM's terminology (not your own creations), and prepared in advance, will better enable the tech to make an assessment.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, Yes i've been looking through the site and changed the output from the Drum Machine, Gain and Levels which have helped. I was using the headphones just in case it was a monitor issue. It's working well with Ableton but i'm getting poor results when using it as a soundcard to play either music through WMP or when I'm watching BBC IPlayer even on max buffer sizes it just kills my laptop. I've used a Tascam US1800 for years and never had any issues with sound as a multitrack or just everyday Laptop use (playing Mp3s watching news etc). This unit seems to not like being used for that.

I moved everything to a different outlet in my room, and it all went away... Apparently one of my outlets is a noisy one.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.