Model 24 with Reaper DAW

Zerm

Gear owned
model 24
I DERPED ON THE TITLE Reaper is my DAW I didn't realize i couldn't adjust it after.

Hello, Ive been using my Model 24 for the last year as a single unit recording to SSD. I have recently upgraded and have started using Reaper and the model as a audio interface. So far everything works well. kinda.

Issue 1 - Playback through the model 24 on any channel produces artifacts and chirps ( these do not record its only on playback of recently recorded files) I have tinkered with buffer size verified that everyone is 24/48k ect. but nothing works.

Issue 2 - stems from issue one. I tried to resolve this by using a 8th inch out of my headphone jack on my lap top to the RCA L/R on 21/22 channel however the model mixer ASIO gives no options for a output to anything BUT the model 24, even if i change it in windows it doesn't work.

So im reaching out to see if this is something silly im over looking or over thinking or if its a genuine issue. Ive exhausted my google search ability to find this issue and a resolve.

I have tried unistalling and reinstalling model mixer software.

Hardware. Tascam Model 24 (Model mixer Software 1.20 0016 - Firmware 1.62 0094)
Lenovo P15 laptop 2023 model Windows 11

Last edited:
I fixed the title for you. Unfortunately, that's all I can do.

Reactions: Zerm
Thank you! I continued testing it last night with no luck. kinda at a loss as to why it wont let me use a different output. or why changing the buffer size doesn't change much.

I had chirping/artifact issues playing PC audio through my Model 12. My 10-ft cheap, generic USB C cable ended up being the culprit. The manual recommends the shortest length possible, so I bought a shorter 4-ft "brand-name" cable (Belkin I think?). That took care of it for me. FYI the manual also recommends plugging the USB cable directly into the computer and not into a hub. Also setting your computer's power option to "high performance". Give it a try.

I have 2, 4 footers I tried out. I dont think they are top brands I will purchase one.

As for the computer I will give that a try as well.

Thanks for the response!

I had chirping/artifact issues playing PC audio through my Model 12. My 10-ft cheap, generic USB C cable ended up being the culprit. The manual recommends the shortest length possible, so I bought a shorter 4-ft "brand-name" cable (Belkin I think?). That took care of it for me. FYI the manual also recommends plugging the USB cable directly into the computer and not into a hub. Also setting your computer's power option to "high performance". Give it a try.

I tried with my laptop in high performance and it still happened. I have ordered a different cable. the primary one I used is brand new but was only like 6 bucks.

I'm still not sure how to use a alternate output then the model 24 when the USB is in. On a friends mac he could do it. But my laptop isn't allowing it.

Are you by any chance running any other ASIO drivers for other equipment that might be interfering? There is a universal driver that is known for things like that.

Have you optimized the PC for DAW work? The '12 might be working fine but there could be a separate issue causing the audio distortion.

I have ASIO4ALL installed and basic windows drivers. but it isn't selected in reaper and to my knowledge no others are running while i use model mixer asio. The audio issues only occur when sending audio back to the model 24. (which is the only option when its plugged in)

If im at home mixing ect there is no issues.

That is the universal driver I was referring to. It's better to uninstall that unless you have a specific piece of gear that needs it.

I will give that a try. my new USB-B cable arrives today as well.

USB cables do wear out apparently.

a new cable seems to help but hasn't completely taken in away. instead of every 2-5 seconds its now like once every 15. still troubleshooting

Reactions: -mjk-
Still an issue, i'm running out of options at this point. tried everything i can find on the internet, ground loops, disabling wifi and battery. Not sure where to turn.

Have you optimized your computer for audio recording? There are some good online articles you can check out. If you have access to another computer for troubleshooting, I would try that and observe the results.

The input lag is fine. and if I run audio out of the PC at any point other than the USB b to the model 24 its fine. issue only occurs when the model 24 is part of the process, and the model 24 only allows outputs from itself, i couldn't change a output to headphones or anything else if I wanted too.

And yeah someone sent me a google doc about optimizing my laptop I did that yesterday with some testing and to no success yet.

This weekend I went through a few guides and completely setup my laptop for audio, used LatencyMon to figure out any issues, however, still when I play back audio through the Model 24 while recording I get crazy high pitch squeels and other issues. At this point I am at a loss.

When this artifacts happen Latencymon is show everything green and with minimal latency the entire time. None of this happens when I use any other playback option.

The tascam ASIO only allows you to use model outputs. which is a pain at this point.

Typically those are sample rate/bit depth mismatch issues. I realize you have checked that. I have found situations where at idle (no playback happening) the system reported 24 bit/ 48 kHz, only to find that as soon as I started playback, it revered to something else. There might be something calling for a specific rate/depth that is not what you have it set for.

In Reaper preferences, there is a checkbox to specifically call for a specified rate/depth and I suggest that you set that so nothing can over-ride it.

In reaper I have it set to use its settings, it also is the same 48k 256 on the model 24 mixer asio window. Reaper reflects the same numbers in the top right.

Is there another one I am missing?

What is 256? The buffer size? What about the bit depth?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.