Monitor vs stereo outs, and reviewing channels

barry.b

Gear owned
Tascam 2488
Hi all.

Sorry for the Noob question** but I'm trying to get a better idea of the use of the monitor outputs vs stereo outs.

I'm starting the work on a friend's Mk-I, went over to his place to review what his late drummer had recorded.

He had the 2488 plugged into the studio monitors via the "Monitor Outputs". I'm used to the 2488 having the monitors plugged into the "Stereo Outputs".

I wanted to review the individual recorded tracks, not the mastered stereo pair... but couldn't work out how to do that.

Do I (somehow) unselect the Stereo Master pair being sent to the monitors (how?) or is the problem (that I can't hear the individual tracks without the Master as well) is that the "Monitor Outs" are being used instead of the Stereo Outputs?

Thanks
B

** http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/looking-for-more-2488-resourses.4371/

Barry.

Normally one connects the monitor outputs to the monitor amplifiers, so that you can control the listening level with the monitor level pot. in addition to the stereo bus, you can also monitor Effects send etc.

The stereo outputs (analogue) can be connected to an external recorder or a workstation as required. often they are not needed at all.

To check the audio on one or a number of channels, press the solo button which will turn orange, and then select the required channels. Alternatively, you can mute the channels you don't want to hear.

Iain

Another thing to consider, depending on whether or not you use the built in click track, the stereo outs will not output the click track. You can only hear the click from the monitor outs.

ah yes, S.I.P (Solo-in-place).I know what to look for now. Thanks heaps Iain.

@Cygnus. Good point to know. I haven't needed a click track until now. Cheers

Last edited:

New threads

Members online