My new song with help of Airgigs and BandLab

We've been communicating and she is going to do a revision that follows closer to my vocal pattern, which will serve two purposes. One version with both of us and one version on her own. I suggested to her to start in my pattern and eventually build her range as the song progresses.

I sang it the way I did because I have no range . I know that she'll sound better than I do using my pattern and it should sound less like her singing it in a soul style and more like a country singer (minus the southern drawal).

Nick, do you mind a little advice on artistic direction when managing performers?

Reactions: Slugworth
Shredd. Thanks for reply. That's Laura (Airgigs) again and not my daughter. I'm still waiting for my daughter's tracks. They should be coming soon. This song No Guess is not in it's final version(s) at this point. Her voice already brings way more life to it than mine does by itself. I'm looking forward to her revisions.

Reactions: shredd and -mjk-
MJ.

I don't mind at all. It's certainly another weak point for me due to my lack of band and recording studio experience.

I have another question for you or anyone else that would care to answer. Is part of a professional recording having the ability for a mixed and mastered song translate through all types of projection devices (headphones, home stereo, car stereo, cell phone, etc.)?
I'm finding that I can get a really nice mix through headphones, but when playing over a car stereo or home stereo the instruments or vocals may be louder or lower compared to the headphones. Vice versa too if I mix/master using a set of BT shelf speakers. I don't have studio monitors.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all. It's certainly another weak point for me due to my lack of band and recording studio experience.

I'll be my usual direct self here because I know you're not a snowflake, lol.

Once you find someone that knows what they are doing, let them do it. When Tony Vaughn was doing some bass tracks for me, he asked me what I wanted. I told him to "Vaughnify" the tune - which is exactly what I wanted. I wanted his sound on my record. I recall during the session, he asked me about the groove and I said only said "more continuous." Immediately he responded by saying that he had been recording a lot of funk lately and he needed to run the notes together on this rock song. With very minimal input he made the tune sound amazing with his characteristic bass playing. In your above post you stated:

I sang it the way I did because I have no range
after posting:
I suggested to her to start in my pattern and eventually build her range as the song progresses.
I was asking myself why you would want a female version of yourself singing with a limited range.

Inexperienced producers tend to over-think the process. It sounds like this woman can sing, so turn her loose and see what she can do. It's typically better to ask for minor revisions along the way rather than be too heavy handed at the beginning of the creative process.

Is part of a professional recording having the ability for a mixed and mastered song translate through all types of projection devices (headphones, home stereo, car stereo, cell phone, etc.)?

That is the goal yes. There are limits however. The tiny speakers of a mobile phone are not usually good enough for proper listening but a well mixed and mastered song should not sound terrible on such a playback system.

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd
Thanks MJ. Good advice and that's pretty much what I told her for both songs she has done so far. I stated the following prior to her recordings "Please feel free to change it and sing it that sounds best to you. Looking forward to your tracks."

I also told her prior to her recordings that this song will feature her vocals only. I only added my vocal tracks afterwards out of curiosity and that's when I noticed she sang it at a higher pitch to try and match mine. Prior to her recordings I sent her one instrumental for her to record over and one with my vocals on it as guide to how I chose to sing it. Airgigs even asks to have a guide track sent along with an instrumental and bpm number.

The following is what I sent her after I listened to all five of her versions she sent.
"I appreciate that you sent several versions. Unfortunately, I am asking for a revision, please.
For this song I would prefer a more relaxed approach similar to how you sing in the video (below)
I'm completely okay if you want to sing it in a lower register as in the way you sang Still, No Change. Maybe try a version similar to my singing pattern (but not my voice) The phrase "Sometimes less is more" comes to my mind. I hope I don't come off as sounding critical, because I am not trying to be. I do understand the approach you took for this more up-tempo song."

A later message from her "Hi Nick!!Yes it was really high for me, but when I was following your same pitch, it was too low and it wasn't good for the song. I listened to the mix and our voices sounds really good!!! the thing is if you want our voices together, maybe I can record it again but following exactly your phrasing, Its up to you, if you are happy with what we already have."

My reply "When you previously stated (prior to your recordings) the pitch was too high I wasn't sure what you meant. However, now that I know it was in contrast to my singing it makes sense. I think that your (her) idea to record a new track with the phrasing I used is worth a try because it can serve a dual purpose for one version with us together and another version with your vocals only. In saying that I think it would be good to start out your vocals close to mine and then build your range as the song progresses. I'll leave it up to you to pick those spots."

The song below I believe is her natural comfort zone even though she can obviously go higher and lower. My guess is that if she stays within this range, even at the tempo of No Second Guess and followed my pattern to start out with (eventually building range as the song progresses) we will likely end up with at minimum a better timed duet and a great solo track.

Last edited:
Hey Nick, thanks for the blow-by-blow description of the process. Sounds like you have a good working relationship.

I believe this is her natural comfort zone even though she can obviously go higher and lower. My guess is that if she stayed within this range, even at the tempo of No Second Guess and followed my pattern to start out with (eventually building range as the song progresses) we will likely end up with at minimum a better timed duet and a great solo track.

Yes, it will be interesting to see. I'm also interested in hearing your daughter's tracks. I recorded my daughter singing on a track when she was 9 years old.

I don't have studio monitors.

There are some great choices these days and not too expensive.

Thanks for deciding to work with me! In order to begin the process, I will need:

1. Backing track
2. BPM and Key
3. Lyrics
4. Reference track with vocals on it (it can be a recording you made with your iPhone), but it’s really important for me to have a vocal guide. (optional)

She's been great to work with and so has Ivan. I've told Ivan from the start that he has the freedom to play what he sees fit. For this song I did send him a video of a train-beat because it was much easier than trying to explain what I was thinking. At times when I ask him for a revision I specify the time marks for the change and post a YouTube video of someone playing the pattern I think/hope will fit nicely. For Still No Change (v2) the original (v1) was a more basic beat. I asked him to double up the kick drum ands hi-hat notes demonstrated in the link https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/3...000d3a41ec2a?sharedKey=_XB7CaYevEOCTzP6zPwxiQ You can hear him make a noise at the end of the recording probably from calf burn!

This online collaboration stuff is a lot of fun so far. I will eventually face whether I want to invest in improving these recording via an online or local studio. However, my goal is 10 to 15 songs first and then go from there. BandLab does add some volume and processing, but I assume still inferior to pro level output.

Last edited:
You can hear him make a noise at the end of the recording probably from calf burn!

The quote of the week!

It can be a painful endeavor. How do drummers do two hour shows?
I sold my Yamaha DD65 about a month ago. It and I were never going to cut it for good recordings.

When Tony Vaughn was doing some bass tracks for me, he asked me what I wanted
Yeesh @-mjk- ...that's a baddazz tune fer sher...and a great recording!
How do drummers do two hour shows?
As a lifelong RUSH fan, I also marvel at this. NP was doing sets at 60 as amazing as the ones he did when he was 30. G.O.A.T. - end of discussion!!!
Shredd. Thanks for reply. That's Laura (Airgigs) again and not my daughter
Gotcha. This Laura is a real find! Good advice from MJ, too...as a decidedly novice musician, I've always understood the importance of "getting out of the way" and letting the truly talented people stand out!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Slugworth
Rush members are definitely on a higher level. Jeff Beck always had the backing of great drummers.

Thanks @shredd. Released in 1997.

The tiny speakers of a mobile phone are not usually good enough for proper listening but a well mixed and mastered song should not sound terrible on such a playback system.
My personal aim when mixing and mastering is, that on the worst speakers possible (read phone speakers) at least most instruments should still be there. And great examples of that are most Michael Jackson's songs - no matter whether you like the music or not. I have a copy of the History album in the studio to remind me.. Try 'Bille Jean' on your phone and all drum components are there - even the bass guitar - and everything else. Does it sound any good? Not really, but all instruments stand and the balance isn't even half bad!

How do drummers do two hour shows?
Most of it is technique, though I'm not sure with Keith Moon... ;) Check out some great jazz drummers - almost everything they do is coming from the wrists. No windmilling of arms for 2 hours, just effectively setting up the kit - not to look good but to make everything reachable - and hit the drums from the wrist (I was told by a professional drummer once).

Arjan. I was thinking of a drummer's kick drum leg from the hip down moreso than hands/wrist. Especially on a kick pattern shown below.

Here's some sick grooves

Last edited:
@Slugworth I think your 2 videos prove my point: With Mike Clark, I hardly see any movement of arms or legs (the ankles are the wrists of the feet, after all). Great gooves for sure, BTW! The drummer in the top video gets a great groove out too, but against him Mike Clark is the Energizer bunny IMO.. ;) (though the type of double bass/ single foot technique he's using may be tough without moving the upper leg)

Yes, you're right about the calmness of MC's playing. He's throwing in a lot of kick notes, but he looks so relaxed it's hard to tell.

I tried out MajorDecible https://majordecibel.com/ online mastering last night. Allows two free mastering per month and it's dirt cheap at $25 annually. However, I don't think I'll use it as BandLab has more flexibility and is completely free for unlimited songs. Anyway, links below to a new song. First version was mixed on Audacity and is pretty raw. The second version v2 (different drum pattern) was mastered at MajorDecible. Anyone who cares to reply, please let me know what you think of MD's mastering of this song.

https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/d...000d3a428fff?sharedKey=xUPOBPWk4kun3IwiwSrZAw

https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/1...000d3a428fff?sharedKey=eqatikqsIEyZHx3wcqApLA

I have lyrics written to this song and may use Laura again. I intend tin the near future to shorten the time of song by fading out around the 3:15-3:30 mark.

Last edited:
@shredd check out Fiverr.
Hey @-mjk- ...took up your suggestions and got onto Fiverr, and looked around.

Like most online venues, there's TENS of thousands of people pimping their action...many of whom I wouldn't hire to vacuum out my car. And - like most online endeavors: there's about 82% gah-bahj to 8-10% decent/passable content, and 6-8% good content. And - like most things in life - you get what you pay for!

So...I sent a mix of a song I have in the can to several who offer lyric-writing services, to see who came up with what. I tried to focus on ones who said they write lyrics TO A MELODY, rather than just "bare" lyrics...those're basically just writing poetry, and hoping it might work in a song.

The GOOD news is one of them came back with a VERY good effort (certainly better than the nauseating drivel I came up with!).
I might yet tweak it a bit, but it's pretty dam good.:cool:

Now, I just gotta go out and find one of those amazing singers like @Slugworth did...since I sing like an asthmatic cat barfing a hairball...:oops:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.