New PC Build

@Peter Batah, like @skier implies: your new monitor has too much resolution! No, I mean, this is a trend that goes on for all monitors: they get more pixels on a similar surface area, so more detailed images are possible. Even with my laptop here, as an example: My previous one was 14" diagonal and my current one is also 14", but a screenshot from the previous one is much smaller on this one (with 1920x1080 resolution).

But instead of decreasing the resolution on your new display, I would keep it at the recommended (native) resolution and tell Windows to 'enlarge everything'. It's on the same page as skier mentioned. I suppose 150% seems like a good starting point. By doing this, you keep the resolution benefit in graphics, but have the increased readability of the enlargement.

@Arjan P Going to try that after dinner. By the way, I should probably be asking this question in a new thread. But, it seems like we are the only ones active on this forum at the moment.

I prefer to switch off all access to the internet on the PC running my audio software. Except for taking in Windows 10 updates. I try to schedule those type of things every week or so. Which even then I am a little weary of doing.

What are most people doing?

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
I have my DAW PC constantly connected - with a good anti-virus package active. Have had no issues and no hassle whatsoever. I only make sure that Windows updates don't happen during a recording session.

@Arjan P Really? I'm a little surprised. It seems like everything that I have read since the dawn of man always discouraged that sort of thing. I guess that you are one of the lucky ones who hasn't run into issues where the antivirus conflicts with audio software.

I have run both Symantec Enterprise and Kaspersky Small Business on my clients workstations and one of the girls in the office still managed to "almost" get hacked by one of those call Microsoft Support scams. She called me in hysterics. It was hilarious!

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
@Arjan P said:

But instead of decreasing the resolution on your new display, I would keep it at the recommended (native) resolution and tell Windows to 'enlarge everything'. It's on the same page as skier mentioned. I suppose 150% seems like a good starting point. By doing this, you keep the resolution benefit in graphics, but have the increased readability of the enlargement.

Settings/Display/Scale and layout

My Surface Pro 7 is set for 200% because the resolution is 2736 x 1824. At 100% it's so small I can't read it and if I set the Display resolution to 1920 x 1080 (or anything else) it looks dreadful. But, at the current settings it looks incredible.

You aren't suggesting that I either bore a hole through the top or drive a few screws through it, are you?

Let me put it this way, Peter. If boring a hole in the top surface would put that monitor where I needed it to be to prevent this from happening:

By the way, and as I had suspected would happen. I have spent a minimal of time looking up at the monitor and that was all it took. Hit the sack nice and early last night. Why you ask? Or not!

The pain in my shoulders shot up the sides of neck resulting in a volcanic headache. I know this feeling all too well. Hit the Tylenol Muscle and Body. Very discouraging. But, I won't be deterred!

I would be chucking the hole saw right now. (A story for another time) but I spent years suffering from debilitating headaches. My view is that the studio is a sanctuary and things should be optimized for it. It's an ongoing process.

@Arjan P By the way, I should probably be asking this question in a new thread. But, it seems like we are the only ones active on this forum at the moment.

I prefer to switch off all access to the internet on the PC running my audio software. Except for taking in Windows 10 updates. I try to schedule those type of things every week or so. Which even then I am a little weary of doing.

What are most people doing?

I keep my DAW disconnected (air gapped) from the Internet unless doing an update or deactivation. I do run Norton Antivirus on it, but keep it off when recording so no scans or anything else that could interrupt the recording occur. When I do have to connect to the net, I enable NAV first and perform a LiveUpdate before doing anything else. But there may not be many connections to the net again for a while. I have not wanted to deal with the change over to Windows 10 (still running Win 7 which doesn't receive any more security updates). I spend so little time in the studio lately that I can't justify the time.

At 100% it's so small I can't read it and if I set the Display resolution to 1920 x 1080 (or anything else) it looks dreadful.

Boy MJ, this sounds more like what happens to those of us on the older side - please don't talk like that.

Boy MJ, this sounds more like what happens to those of us on the older side - please don't talk like that.

The thing is though Jerry, the Surface came set up like that. Just a product of higher resolution!

@Arjan P Really? I'm a little surprised. It seems like everything that I have read since the dawn of man always discouraged that sort of thing. I guess that you are one of the lucky ones who hasn't run into issues where the antivirus conflicts with audio software.
I think this is a thing from the past, really. Back when OS updates or other internet traffic could bring your performance down. And yes, I also kept my DAW PC disconnected 20 years ago.

But having some virtual instruments that need online authentication while they start up, other music software checking for updates right after startup, me wanting to check a Youtube video from a client or sending a finished product to a client - I just figured it was time to stop annoying myself and keep the thing connected. Like I said, it hasn't been an issue for the last 10 years.

I keep my DAW disconnected (air gapped) from the Internet unless doing an update or deactivation. I do run Norton Antivirus on it, but keep it off when recording so no scans or anything else that could interrupt the recording occur. When I do have to connect to the net, I enable NAV first and perform a LiveUpdate before doing anything else. But there may not be many connections to the net again for a while. I have not wanted to deal with the change over to Windows 10 (still running Win 7 which doesn't receive any more security updates). I spend so little time in the studio lately that I can't justify the time.
With Windows 7 as OS, it is very sensible to stay disconnected for sure. But it is a choice with more repercussions over time - with the software on your DAW getting unsupported. But in itself there's nothing wrong with it. I said it before on these forums (especially to Mac users): if your machine works, keep everything the same (and disconnected) and it will keep working for a long time.

@Arjan P You may have mentioned this in the past (or not) in an unrelated post. What antivirus software are you running?

@Peter Batah That's F-Secure Safe. Very unintrusive and I guess light weight but effective.

Reactions: Peter Batah
@skier Hey buddy! Well, you will have to excuse me for not spending as much time here as I did a week or so ago. But, I do have a good excuse. I am trying to spend as much time in my small room as time will allow. It will take a while to get acclimated to my new environment. Not to say that I don't miss you guys! Truth be told. I have been eavesdropping on your "Antenna" chat every now and then. Not that I understand a word. Strangely enough, I still find it quite intriguing.

On another note. I do plan on purchasing DAW software this week. I am just waiting for some XLR cables and a pop filter that I ordered to come in. I have been toying around with Pro Tools First. A complete joke. So limited to what you can do with this version.

Ultimately, I will in all likelihood lean more toward Cubase. If need be, I will pick up Pro Tools down the road at some point.

@skier Forgot to mention that the new PC is a "BEAST" by the way.

Reactions: -mjk-
@Peter Batah Ahhh! Spending more time in the studio making music is much better than spending time here just talking about it - good choice! (Even though we really are great people on this forum.)

Glad the new PC is so powerful - that's gotta feel good.

If Cubase feels really good to you, go with it. There are many happy users on this forum who feel that way. And I believe that Arjan, with whom we have regular contact is also a Cubase user and will be able to help you a lot.

Well, if you ever want to know more about antennas or anything else we discuss, please feel free to ask questions, and that also means lots of questions. If a lot, number them and I'll commit right now to answer those that I can; but as already stated, lots of good people here and they'll likely fill in the gaps in my knowledge. On the antenna front, MJ is proving to be a vast resource of knowledge and experience and I'm loving learning more, but also learning different ways to look at radio aspects from a different and often more valuable point of view. So, please fire away with questions on antennas, radios, and probably a lot of other things. The last few weeks have shown me that there's so much more that forum users know and are having just as much fun sharing as we are learning.

And, of course, keep us apprised of how that new studio is working and I'll try to give you more than just a few days before I ask for another update, perhaps four days this time. :cool:

@skier Feel free to reach out to me at anytime. I check in on the forum daily. In fact, I always make it a point to drop in here several times a day. Old habits are hard to break I guess. A good habit I must say. Plus, I get to keep an eye on you old farts. Just to make sure that you're behaving yourselves :p

By the way, I am not at the music making stage. Not yet anyway. That is going to be a while I'm afraid. It's been a very very long time. And, the one thing that I made certain to tell myself when all this began was that I was not going to set any specific goals for my self. I want to go slow. Learn the ins and out of both the DAW and the DM. So, lot's of reading and who knows maybe a little creative inspiration will present itself.

Note: You must have heard about the passing of Rupert Neve by now. What an icon!

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/rupert-neve-1926-2021

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
Old farts????? Who you talkin bout? YOU! Are one of us. HA!

That's a great idea about not pressuring yourself and being willing to take the time to truly get to know something - it won't be a waste of time. Too many people want to just go without reading the manual first. Mind you, I'm guilty of that at times myself, but when something is truly complicated and deep, it really does pay to get yourself at least a basic orientation before going full bore - I think your approach is smart.

The foregoing notwithstanding, you don't have to learn whatever DAW you have from top to bottom to get started. Learn the basics: about the timeline, how to get clips onto a track, how to slice them up and move them around, etc. Similarly on the mixer, learn how to get output, put them into record mode, solo and mute them, etc. Essentially, get the basics down as you would a physical mixer and then take one of your songs or something downloaded or from a CD and edit it, mix it with something else, add one or more plug-ins to a track and twist and mutilate the sound and such. This approach will be more fun than just trying to learn the whole app first, if that's even possible. Professional DAWs can do a lot and most of us will never need all their features. But learning the basics and then going deeper lets you explore, learn, and have fun as you go.

Similarly regarding the studio, there's lots you can do. I actually enjoy designing studios and putting them together. It's very much akin to making your own tools and then getting the satisfaction and results of using them. For producing music, the studio is much of the tool kit.

We're here if you need us. And yes, the harrassment will never end. It's the pay that must be payed for our help and fantastic company. :D

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.