New PC Build

Note: You must have heard about the passing of Rupert Neve by now. What an icon!

I had not heard this until you let me know and MJ also just mentioned it. I meant to acknowledge that in my response to you but forgot.

I had hoped to meet Rupert at AES in NYC some day, which I occasionally attend. I had slated to go last October, but it was online only due to Covid. I have met and enjoyed conversations with other audio luminaries there, such as Ray Dolby.

It is very sad, though at least, at 94, he had a decent run and accomplished much.

@-mjk- Hello MJ. So nice to hear from you again. Things are moving along nicely. Albeit a little slower than I would like. But, what's the rush, right?

I ordered Cubase Pro 11 (Boxed) last week. It, along with a few other items that I have purchased are all on back order. There must be some correlation between inventory levels and Covid. No doubt. On the other hand, I can understand why DAW software may not be something that they would keep in stock. So, there is not much to do but wait.

How are you keeping by the way. I am glad to see that you and @skier have been fervently discussing another one of your passions. All things Ham radio and antennae. Sounds so interesting. Unfortunately, that stuff is so way over my head. More like completely in outer space if I'm being honest.

When is the next TaiwanTv broadcast?

Hey @Peter Batah! Glad to hear that things are progressing! Based on what I've been reading, you are correct in your supposition that Covid is delaying the delivery of a great many things. I don't know whether you have ordered Cubase and other software in package form or as downloads, but I've heard that even downloads are affected, though I don't quite understand how. Regardless, you've got the right attitude by not being highly annoyed at the wait.

I am glad to see that you and @@skier have been fervently discussing another one of your passions. All things Ham radio and antennae. Sounds so interesting. Unfortunately, that stuff is so way over my head. More like completely in outer space if I'm being honest.

My apologies for using technobabble with MJ in our antenna discussions. But if it really does sound interesting, just let us know and we're happy to explain - clearly we find it interesting and fun; and that goes for anyone else here who might be interested. While it's always great to come here and get some valuable help in solving a problem, it's equally gratifying to to be the helper for a another person, including explaining something in which they have some interest, even if it's just a high-level question of minor interest. We never know what we may discover that could turn out to be far more interesting than we may have initially thought.

Moderator Edit: this thread continues here: Antennas | Page 4 | TASCAM Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: -mjk-
@skier Hello J. As I mentioned in my response to @-mjk- I decided to order the Boxed version of Cubase Pro 11 as it also includes the e-Licenser key. Otherwise, I would have to have purchased the key separately.

Please do not apologize for the technical language. It seems appropriate given the nature of the topic being discussed.

And, you are absolutely right about knowing that there is a place where we can go that not only helps in quenching our thirst for knowledge but brings such joy and a sense of fulfillment when nurturing others.

Your Antenna discussion is very intriguing. I will be sure to pick your brains if there is anything specific that peaks my interest. Which amounts to just about everything that you geniuses have been talking about. Be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the open invitation. Much appreciated. Have a great evening!

Peter

Reactions: skier and -mjk-
@-mjk-I ordered Cubase Pro 11 (Boxed) last week.
Hey @Peter Batah, Good choice!
But seriously, I hope you'll like Cubase and what it can do. I would suggest downloading the trial version and get started that way, but it's no use, since the trial version also requires the e-Licenser. Let me know if there's anything you need help with!

@Arjan P I could have opted for the download but that would have meant purchasing the dongle separately. And, as I said earlier I am in no big hurry. I have waited this long. In the bigger scheme of things, a few days is not going to make much of difference. Thank you for offering your Cubase experience and expertise. I hope that you have begun recording those YT tutorial videos that I'll be needing :LOL:

@Peter Batah Haha, nope, no tutorial videos from me - I've always stayed away from video. Knowing myself, had I started with it, it would have eaten too much time, since I couldn't do it a little bit on the side.. OTOH, there are already some great tutrials out there!

@Arjan P I can't say that I blame you. That sounds like a full time job. And, you are absolutely right about there being an abundance of very good online tutorials. In addition, I believe there is nothing like the good old hands-on / trial and error approach. Practice makes perfect, right? Well, maybe not perfect but you get the idea. BTW, still waiting for the software to arrive. Very very slow these days. Damn you Covid :evil:

Update: I thought that it might be a good idea to check in with the multi national retailer that I purchased Cubase Pro 11 from. I almost fell off my chair when I was told that the ETA was sometime in April. Say what? You must be kidding I said.

It took me some 5 minutes to locate the product elsewhere. They had one retail boxed version left in stock. Should in arrive in 2-3 days. Crazy! Found it here.

https://www.avshop.ca/

Last edited:
@Peter Batah what bothers me about that situation, is clearly they did not tell you that because they did not want to lose the sale. But how could they hide that fact after it hasn't shown up for over a month? So ultimately they would lose the sale anyway. The difference is, now you're never gonna order anything from them ever again. That's what I call "malignantly stupid".

Reactions: skier
@-mjk- Gets worse. This would be the third back ordered item that I cancel. The first was the Steinberg e-Licenser key and the last two were Cubase 11 Pro and a pop filter. Needless to say, none of those items made it to the store or my little studio. Of course, no one ever bothered to tell me.

The choice of retailers where we are located is so limited. And, the staff are real Zombies. No character. No hospitality. You ask them for info over the phone and it's like pulling teeth! I called at least twice today but had to leave a voice message. Never got a callback. Whenever possible I just order from Amazon Canada. Sad but true. By the way, I don't think that I mentioned the retailer's name. Long & McQuade. They are huge in Canada. Therein lies the problem.

Reactions: -mjk- and skier
I have been known to call sales representatives for certain companies, and tell them that I have a certain budget that I would like to spend but, I'm not going to spend it with their company because of (insert bad behavior here).

@Peter Batah, have you tried Sweetwater Sound? They're in the U.S>, but I've had great luck with them and they even provide free telephone tech support. It was invaluable when I bought my DM because it had some problems. They not only tried hard to talk me through some suggestions over the phone, they then over-nighted another new DM4800 at their costs - shipping had to be well over $100 for them to do that. Great company!

@skier Hello J. I have only heard good things about Sweetwater. Apparently, I would have to use a Freight Forwarding service if I ordered from Canada. I am glad that I stumbled across avshop.ca. Spoke to and exchanges email messages with a few of their staff members. Great experience overall. I will definitely consider them again in the future.

Note: A friend and I drove out to Ottawa last year and stopped in at the Long & McQuade out there. Totally different experience then what you will get here in Quebec. Super friendly and knowledgeable. I have bought from them in the past as well. Even if it costs me a few dollars to have an item or items shipped to me, it may very well be worth it next time around.

Peter, it's about a 5 hour drive from Montreal to Boston (even closer to NH). Might be worth your while to buy some gear there.

Peter, it's about a 5 hour drive from Montreal to Boston (even closer to NH). Might be worth your while to buy some gear there.

A few years I had ordered some items from the US that were not available in Canada at all (I looked high and low). But, would have cost me a fortune to have shipped to me.

So, what I did was use a Freight Forwarding service that is located just across the Canada / US border. About an hour and half from where I live. It worked out well at the time. Considering that it was a beautiful summer day.

Bay Brokerage Inc. - Kinek

https://www.kinek.com/

I absolutely would not dare to make such a trip on a day like today though. Not worth the risk!

https://flic.kr/p/2kETgX7

Another Update I'm afraid. Couldn't help myself. Received a notification that my Purolator package was delivered to an alternate location. So, I went out to pick it up. Like a kid in a candy store.

I found myself chuckling all the way home. Here I was expecting some humongous package. Instead, I get lunch box letdown. This thing is so tiny. I remember in a galaxy far far away once owning Cubase 3.x. That box was like an Encyclopedia. Massive I tell you.

VoBtM32.jpg

So it contains an e-Licenser and an activation code I'm sure, but does it also contain some form of data carrier with the actual software on it? DVD perhaps?

I remember those big cardboard boxes with software (and a lot of air as well!). Even a paper manual, now there's a throwback in time!

@Arjan P Comes with a License Redemption Card and the e-Licenser dongle of course. That's it. I am going down to the studio. Will plug in the dongle to see what awaits me

https://flic.kr/p/2kF1nFY

New threads

Members online

No members online now.