New to Tascam and the DM-3200, any tips or things I need to know?

The DM3200 has no fan. The 4800 does, if I'm not mistaken.

Before you assume anything is wrong with the board, DISABLE Fader Touch Sensitivity, (in Preferences menu) then listen for the high pitch sound. Chances are good it'll be gone.

CaptDan

Hey CaptDan,

I seem to be missing something, as to my understanding, and this is what the manual says as well. But it seems you can't disable Fader Touch Sensitivity.

In the Preferences, there is indeed the option to switch On of Off, but this is just for lighting up the OL/Status LED when you touch the faders in the preferences screen. Next to that is the value of the Sensitivity, with higer value being more sensitive.
But I can't seem to find a way of disabling the Touch Sensitivity completely.

Did a complete reset of the DM, perhaps it was due to some weird settings, but didn't solve it. Firmware I'm running is 1.70
The high pitch tone seems to be coming from the ventilation holes above the LCD. So guess it is coming from the LCD?

But once you start listingin to that tone, I can't stop hearing it o_O

To the 3200 menu experts:-I'm considering picking up one used, and am wondering if somewhere there is a clock that can be recalled that displays the length of machine uptime. (My Pioneer PRV-LX1 dvd machine does :) )

Thanks in advance

Welcome. If there is such an internal timer, I'm not aware of it.
But this is the first time the question has come up.

There is a self diagnostic/reset procedure; if the mixer boots up without message or issue, and machine's functions are all normal (and there are no missing parts, trashed pieces, or obvious signs of abuse), it's probably a good mixer.

My suggestion: if you can't inspect in person (ideally with a knowledgeable user), ask LOTS of questions. Make sure what you're buying is what you'll be getting.

CaptDan

Thanks for the tips CaptDan, I'm hoping to get a used 3200 or 4800 locally that I can see and demonstrate in person. I'll lookout for messages and general operation.

Having reading some of the manual already, lots of posts here, and youtubing a bit I believe that I can get around enough to at least pass a signal when I find a seller willing to show. One youtube video was in language I don't speak and I still learned a little just by watching his moves. Can't wait to get my hands on one and patch / soft patch for hours. Thanks again!!

No - Fader Touch Select can be toggled ON/Off. I'm not in front of my board right now - it may be in Automation Preferences. It exists; I've used it.
It's in the option menu, first setting. Turn it off, it will annoy you, at least it annoys me.
faderautoselect.jpg

My DM3200 exhibits a high pitched tone when I push a button, if that's the thing you're hearing, no problem. This sound is coming from the desk itself, btw, my DM24 doesn't do this. But it isn't a problem.

In my case, I wouldn't turn that option off.
I really like being able to touch a fader to select a channel.

BTW, if you turn the option off, you still get the high pitched sound when you manually select a channel.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.