Newish MD-CD1MKIII dropouts on recordings

TheUnprofessional

Gear owned
MD-CD1MKIII, CD-RW901
Hi,

I have been wanting one of these for a long time and finally bought one about a year ago. I have probably 40-50 hours of recording on it and now I am pretty much unable to record even one track without multiple dropouts on playback. Mostly I'm using it to make backups of my CDs but I love MD and in the past I used it for some garage band recordings and "taping" live radio shows off the air.

I have been using brand new media (to the extent MD media can be new, but at least it's sealed). It seemed like Sharp media started becoming a problem so I tried other brands. TDK and Maxell seem to work better but the problem is still there.

I tried analog vs. coax and the source does not have any affect on the dropouts. Whether I copy a CD from the same deck or a separate deck has no effect. The recordings still have dropouts. I checked the recorded discs in a lower end Sony, the dropouts are much worse. I have not yet been able to check whether discs recorded on another deck play ok in the TASCAM but when it plays it really sounds fantastic. The firmware on the unit is the latest available version from TASCAM.

These are no longer made and I saw the announcement on the TASCAM US site that it had been discontinued but might be available in other regions so I bought another one, probably the last one in my country and it is still in the box. I was hoping the rainy day would be a long way off but it seems like it's already here.

Can anybody suggest what could be wrong? I don't want to send it to TASCAM. It would be expensive to mail and if it gets lost or broken it's essentially unobtanium. I'm ok with basic electronic and mechanical repairs but it's been a long time since I had anything on a bench.

I could not find the appropriate forum subcategory. This device isn't analog (ok, it has an AD converter) but this is the only DIY Repair section so I thought to try here. Thank you.

I am not sure that I ever worked on one but the things that both decks use is a worm gear sled motor most likely and these get fuzzed up and need cleaning and the lens on the pickup also can get fogged as micron sized dirt is electrostatically drawn to the lens. I clean then with a very clean swab with a small amount of Windex. I am not sure that Tascam service even exists to work on these anymore. The shop in CA was shut down when Gibson took over and sold the building.

Thank you and sorry for the delay. Been on the road for work. You echoed my thoughts in that probably nobody works on them any more. They should because it was just discontinued within the last year, and it's TASCAM which is what we buy it for. But who knows.

I will open 'er up and try blasting it with canned-air. It's really disturbing to have screwed-up recordings and have to play these kinds of games.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.