No sound output from DP 32SD

Well it's obviously a hardware or software issue :(
How I hoped it was me.
But this is not a hard unit to track and record with. Very basic , actually.
Roland is way more complicated, depending on what one wants to do.
things like automation (3 types), backup, and other functions a bit hard at first.

Here's what i did tonight, after reading more comments (Thanks to all!)

Turned off everything under Assign.

Initialized again. checked everything under Assign screen. all turned off.
Formatted SD card, which still had the firmware update on it.
No matter which track I assign an input to, only fader 5 outputs the sound.

Monitor knob has no effect.
Neither does stereo fader.
Both at lowest, and still track 5 fader will output whatever input I use.
In fact, no matter where I turn knob or raise/lower fader, neither has any effect on output.
Only track 5 does. But I assigned tracks 1/2 to faders 1/2 this time.
Still , track 5 will output sound and only fader can adjust level of output. Stereo fader can't, nor monitor knob.

Hope this never happens to any one elses unit.
With any product, a lemon can come out of the factory.
Been lucky for many decades.
Not so this time.

My TASCAM 565 (4 track MiniDisc recorder) worked fine, as did the 488(?) cassette recorder.

Thanks to all who tried to help.
will try tomorrow, and if still issues then will give up on this one.

ANAYV

Your latest reply does not add much clarity to the situation.

A. Formatting the SD card creates a default song. Initializing the unit returns the unit to the factory default settings. Saving and then protecting the default song saves the factory default settings as part of the song, creating a template. Did you do this?

B. Loading the default song template, then using it to create a new song, carries all the default settings into the newly created song and assures all tracks are blank. Did you do this?

C. Installing the most recent firmware for your specific unit will correct any software anomalies.
For the DP-32SD, 1.08 is current. Is this the software version installed currently?

D. Did you complete all the preliminary steps 1 through 10 in the order listed?

Confirming all internal signal flow is the first step in narrowing down and resolving your issue.
E. After completing the preliminary steps 1 through 10, did you implement precisely the troubleshooting steps 1 through 9 that I gave you?

F. After connecting a signal source to Input A and assigning Input A to the stereo bus:
What was the result of test #1?

Signal (does) (does not) appear on Stereo Master Bus Meter.

G. After connecting a signal source in turn to the remaing Inputs and assigning each in turn to the Stereo Bus:

Inputs that passed the test:

H. After removing all Inputs from the Stereo Bus and assigning Input A to Track 1:
What was the result of test #5?

The signal (is) (is not) present in the Track 1 meter

I. After raising the Track 1 fader to unity gain:
What was the result of test #7?

The signal (is) (is not) present on the Stereo Master Bus Meter.

J. For Input B through H, what was the result of applying the test protocol to the remaining tracks?
Input B
Tracks that passed test #5:
Tracks that passed test #7:

Input C

Input D

Input E

Input F

Input G

Input H

After you answer these questions about the internal signal flow, we can move on to the next troubleshooting steps to test the analog stereo bus and analog monitor bus.

Last edited:
From
Mark Richards:

A. Formatting the SD card creates a default song. Initializing the unit returns the unit to the factory default settings.

That's what I thought. Changes the routing to default .

Saving and then protecting the default song saves the factory default settings as part of the song, creating a template. Did you do this?

I didn't save it. But I powered it off last night. Does this unit do an auto save when powering down?

If not, then nothing was saved, nor loaded after firmware , formatting and initializing.
Since first powering up few days ago, no song was loaded onto this.
Started with new SD card. Changed to another brand and size card.

B. Loading the default song template, then using it to create a new song, carries all the default settings into the newly created song. Did you do this?

No. that is , I loaded nothing . I made no template.
I saved no song.

Those things never happened since pulling the dust off (so to speak) and trying this DP out again.

But, if the DP does this on it's own, (creating a template, etc) then yes.

I just now created a song, then loaded it. Named it, and name of song is on home screen.
C. Installing the most recent firmware for your specific unit would have corrected any software anomalies.
For the DP-32SD, 1.08 is current. Is this the software version installed currently?

No.
I installed the 1.06 version correctly.
The DP itself confirms this.
I wanted to save the latest firmware, in case I needed to update to newer, as a last chance effort.

Version was at 1.00 before I updated.

Confirming all internal signal flow is the first step in narrowing down and resolving your issue.

OK

D. Did you complete all the preliminary steps 1 through 10 in the order listed?

I have a problem with first one.
Assign input to stereo bus.
I do and no metering, nor sound comes out.
However as I tried moving each fader, track 5 fader , when raised, will now show stereo bus metering for left/right channel ? (but no where else)

No other fader will show metering, while input is playing (using CD as input for continuous sound input)

This had me think it's hardware/ related.
Just moments before this step, nothing was assigned to nothing.
Even now,again going through these steps, no input has yet been assigned to ANY track.
Without raising track 5, nothing is heard.
This sounds far from normal. And why track 5???

Input is stereo, yet only one random track has control of input sound???

E. After completing the preliminary steps 1 through 10, did you implement precisely the troubleshooting steps 1 through 9 that I gave you?

Yes. Stereo bus shows nothing when recording onto track one.
I can play back track 1 and see metering, but hear no sound.
If I raise track 5 fader...all of a sudden stereo bus metering shows and sound is output (what the ..)

Again, I have no way to adjust playback recorded sound with monitor knob, nor stereo fader. Track 1 has recorded info, yet only track 5 controls it.
this happens no matter what track I choose to record signal from.

This should not be.
something is really wrong.

F. After connecting a signal source to Input A and assigning Input A to the stereo bus:

No stereo bus metering, no sound output, until , for some strange reason , track 5 fader is moved up.

Signal (does) (does not) appear on Stereo Master Bus Meter.
See above

G. After connecting a signal source in turn to the remaing Inputs and assigning each in turn to the Stereo Bus:
Inputs that passed the test:

H. After removing all Inputs from the Stereo Bus and assigning Input A to Track 1:

Same as above

What was the result of test #5?

No matter which track I choose to receive input signal, track 5 will control stereo bus metering and sound output.

All the while, the stereo fader is at infinity .
Monitor knob set to stereo, yet no control of input, nor recorded sound. Turning it does nothing. But track 5 can ??

Track 5 has taken over the machine

All DP32SD users..BEWARE of Track 5 on your machine !!
You have been warned!!
!!!

:)

sorry...My DP seems Obsessed with this track 5.
Maybe i'll write a song called
" Track 5" and the reprise "Track 5: It's alive
:)

ANAYV

No matter which track I choose to receive input signal, track 5 will control stereo bus metering and sound output.

Since there is audio on track 5, of course every time you bring it up there will be audio.

Stupid question: when sending a signal to other tracks, is the Record button lit? If you are sending test audio to any other tracks without being in Record mode, you won't hear it.

Please excuse me if I'm just dead wrong about this. I mean no disrespect.

But I suspect that there is nothing wrong with ANAYV's DP-32SD.

Respectfully:

1) I have *never* heard - here or anywhere else - the type of problem/issue that ANAYV is reporting. It's just bizarre. I mean - I guess anything is possible - but we've been through a lot around here and to my recollection nobody has ever reported this type of issue(s). When there have been weird reports that didn't make much sense - it's been operator error or misunderstanding, as I recall.

2) ANAYV indicated early on and more than once that Tascam had formally inspected his/her machine after purchase and found it to be working properly - according to what he/she said.

3) I am not convinced that ANAYV is understanding and following the troubleshooting advice given here. I say this because I do not entirely follow some of the follow up comments in subsequent posts.

I say this only to be constructive and helpful. These machines are wonderful and it would be a shame that it was just a misunderstanding that caused ANAYV to abandon the Tascam altogether.

One more time - if there truly is some bizarre issue with this particular DP-32SD - than I apologize. I'm just working off of several years experience here (as are Mark, MJK, and Phil).

What I think is probably my last piece of advice is to either:

1) re-approach Mark's troubleshooting post:

or:

2) Re-initialize the machine and start at square one with the Tipping videos.... moving slowly and deliberately - don't move on unless your dead sure you've understood the content. **The block diagram is your friend.

I mean all this respectfully and with the intention of helping.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
I have to agree with David. I'm a professional audio engineer and in the past owned a commercial recording studio. I have almost 7 years of heavy use with the DP-24. I've never heard, seen, read of an issue like ANAYV describes.

Troubleshooting the issue requires the exact methodical steps that I wrote in Post 18 on page 1 (Preliminary Steps 1-10; and Troubleshooting Steps 1-9) performed in exact sequence. I've edited that post to clearly identify the 10 required preliminary steps and the 9 required trouble shooting steps.
Post18: https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/no-sound-output-from-dp-32sd.7217/#post-34219

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
Since there is audio on track 5, of course every time you bring it up there will be audio.

There is no audio on track 5.
No audio was ever assigned to track 5, nor recorded.

I recorded on tracks 31/32 initially.
after reading more of the helpful comments, started fresh and recorded on tracks 1/2.
same issue remains.
Input signal is output to track 5 fader, but NOT assigned

Q: If stereo meters show signal , should not the stereo fader control that signal ?
Why would (only)track5 be able to?

Stupid question: when sending a signal to other tracks, is the Record button lit?

problem is occurring before I record anything.

Perhaps i can post images of the screen, showing settings.
Is there a way to add photo's here?
thanks.

ANAYV

Track 5 will allow me to hear it, for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ANAYV I edited your post so it wasn't a quote.

Well, I have to say that what you're describing is a scientific impossibility. Yes, the Stereo fader controls the level of that bus.

Is the Bounce button lit?

I think I give up. I'm officially stumped.

No bounce button lit. Never bounced with this unit.
With 32 tracks , doubt that would be a need for me, lol.

No way any track that is NOT assigned should output sound.
No way the Monitor Knob and Stereo fader can not control recorded tracks, nor inup sound, when routed right.

Can I post photo's here?

Is so, i can show the meters and the fader...
Or perhaps I can do a short video showing what's going on?

Thanks

ANAYV

Make a YouTube video.

Ok. I will do a small video and hope to have it posted up by tomorrow night.

I will show in video powering up the DP32SD, then initialize mixer settings, then plug in inputs to 1/2 (A/B). Then I will use Assign button to assign inputs 1/2 to tracks 1/2 and also enable the stereo bus for A/B.

I will then show what happens when I move Stereo fader, and monitor knob (nothing happens, lol) ...and then track 5 fader :)

anything else I should show in video?

Thanks

ANAYV

anything else I should show in video?

Position the camera so that all buttons are visible and also the display so the operations can be seen. Zooming in on the display when making changes to the assign or mixer screen is good. Please shoot in HD, preferably 4k since all mobile phones can do 4k now. Shoot whatever you think is not the ordinary and make sure you document why.

Thanks.

Here's a link to a video showing the issue with this unit:

Well - unless there is something that I am missing or misunderstanding - it appears I was dead wrong and owe you an apology.

Sorry ANAYV - I'm not sure where to go with this short of contacting Tascam.

hi ANAVY,

Nice job on the video, thanks! There are some weird things going on, but also some of what you are experiencing is normal. Let's take a look:

Up to 3:00 all is good. I totally understand your process up to that point.

3:20: you assign the inputs to the Stereo Bus without first confirming that tracks 1 and 2 are operating properly (see below).

3:44: Pressing "Stereo Select" only puts the cursor down at the bottom of the Assign screen. It's just a convenience. Since your cursor was already on the Stereo Bus section, pressing that button does nothing.

4:02: Raising tracks 1 and 2 does nothing because record is not enabled. That is normal. I wish you had done this first before assigning those inputs to the Stereo Bus. Pressing the Record button should have shown input to those 2 tracks. With input levels on the tracks, those faders should bring the level up and down on the Stereo Bus.

4:07: Very strange! I wish you had cleared the assignments at that point and left the fader up. That would identify where the connection is happening. If you take the inputs off the Stereo Bus, does track 5 still do that? Does only 1 input do that, or both? Also, what happens if you put Track 5 in record? Does the sound go away?

4:43: Yes, track 5 should be doing nothing!

4:47: RCA outputs? The Monitor outputs on the DP-32 are TRS. If you are monitoring off the RCA stereo outputs, then of course, the Monitor level adjusts nothing.

6:11: Correct.

7:57: Again, not in Record mode, so that is normal.

8:00: That is not normal!

The fact is, no channel fader should be doing anything at all because none of them are in Record mode. You could un-assign tracks and assign directly to the Stereo Bus and that should work as a basic mixer. I cannot see how fader 5 is doing what you are demonstrating. An interesting test would be to go to the Mixer screen and pan track 5 L/R and observe the results on the Stereo Bus. The DP machines do not have any such internal routing that would allow this to happen.

I can't tell you how to proceed. I can only tell you that I would send it back to Tascam with a letter (or take it in-person) and give them a copy of your video. I would make them eat that service charge because clearly they didn't test it well enough.

Any chance this machine has been subjected to moisture, condensation, static electrically, etc?

Seems more likely that it's a hardware issue.

I think that's actually not a bad idea.... to box it up and send it back to Tascam and indicate that the it *never* worked right and that you'd like your $65.00 and shipping costs reimbursed. Worst they can do is to refuse.... but you've made your point.

Reactions: -mjk-
I have to agree with David. I'm a professional audio engineer and in the past owned a commercial recording studio. I have almost 7 years of heavy use with the DP-24. I've never heard, seen, read of an issue like ANAYV describes.

Troubleshooting the issue requires the exact methodical steps that I wrote in Post 18 on page 1 (Preliminary Steps 1-10; and Troubleshooting Steps 1-9) performed in exact sequence. I've edited that post to clearly identify the 10 required preliminary steps and the 9 required trouble shooting steps.
Post18: https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/no-sound-output-from-dp-32sd.7217/#post-34219

Thanks Mark. After it failed the first step, was there any reason to further check ?

Stereo fader does nothing.
Track 5 controls Sound , regardless of what track is assigned.

This all without recording anything to SD card.

I did check few other steps..but as the video clearly shows, the problem is within the DP32SD.

I also have been involved in multi track recording and Mastering, among other things, since the mid eighties.

If one can get their heads around the Roland VS recorders...this TASCAM will be a no brainer, as its much easier, IMHO.

Well - unless there is something that I am missing or misunderstanding - it appears I was dead wrong and owe you an apology.

Sorry ANAYV - I'm not sure where to go with this short of contacting Tascam.

No problem David.
I would of thought the same as you and Mark.

Has to be the operator. Cant be the unit.

Never heard of any digital unit I used over the decades ( Roland, Zoom, Korg, Akia , TASCAM) having anything remotely like this happen.

Unheard of.

Thanks for your efforts to try and help.

Thanks to All who tried to help!!

ANAYV

If one can get their heads around the Roland VS recorders...this TASCAM will be a no brainer, as its much easier, IMHO.

I also own two Roland VS series digital recorders (got 'em back in the late 90's) and found them to be far less user friendly than this Tascam DP - which I find, personally, to be very user friendly (once you get a grasp of the block diagram). Absolutely agree with you on that.;)

Reactions: -mjk-
@ANAYV I lost the bet, lol.

Now what are you going to do?

New threads

Members online