No sound output from DP 32SD

ANAYV

Gear owned
D005, DP32SD
Hi all.
Powered up my DP32SD ..but there is no sound output.

Meters work...I even recorded on two tracks. Took out SD card and put in PC software....there is audio tracks on the SD card...so recording works...input was set correctly.

No sound from output jacks on back, nor headphone jack on front with volume up

Please Help!

Welcome to the forum.

Have you watched the Tipping tutorial videos that can be found at the top of this forum? If not - I highly recommend you start there. :)

Thanks. Watched quite a frw of them. Good source of info !

But... They dont cover this type of issue.
Sound gets recorded to the tracks...meters display levels...but no sound output from DP32SD.
Hardware failure?

Hmmm.... if you're in multitrack mode and you have recorded audio track data and the meters are jumping on those individual tracks - and you have the track fader(s) and master stereo fader up - you should have audio signal at the stereo outs - and at the monitor and headphone outputs (assuming you have the monitor select set correctly and have that level turned up).

However unlikely - the only other thing I can think to to check is to make sure you have not accidentally hit the "solo" button.

Hardware failure?

My money is on the answer "no".

Welcome to the forum @ANAYV.

You haven't said whether faders are up on the tracks you recorded.

You haven't said whether you see an indication on the stereo bus meter with those tracks up.

You haven't said if you have the stereo master fader all the way up.

And lastly, you haven't said whether you checked the monitor bus to make sure it's monitoring the stereo bus and the level knob is set to nominal.

Please do those things and report back.

Thanks.
I did mention that meters work.
Output is recorded to SD card.

Cant hear anything from Dp32SD :(
But...when I take out the SD card and put it into audio program...I can hear the tracks I just recorded.

So , from that we know input levsls were set right and sound was recorded onto SD .

Just nonsound output from.RCA jacks, nor headphone Jack

A factory reset (Menu, Preference, Initialise) will ensure all settings are set for basic operation. Try bypassing the card & recording/playback process altogether and assign an input to the stereo bus. An input signal (just dab your finger on the tip of a jack plug if you don't have anything handy) should go straight through so only need to worry about 3 controls - input trim, stereo fader, monitor knob.

Thanks Phil.!
Been enjoying your in depth videos on this unit.

Been a long time Roland VS recorder, since the late 1990's. Did use a few 4 track TASCAM units...and my favorite 4 track...the 565...it recorded digital...to MiniDiscs !

Couldnt pass up this deal on the SD version of the TASCAM DP series years ago.

Been a few years since last used it.
It was having issues with recording tracks...actually playback.

Sent it in to TASCAM...but they didnt find any problems...then charge me $65 for checking it under warranty :(

Put it away for few years...since then recently noticed firmware update ( there was none when I sent it in)

So I took it out again...but now no sound output from unit.

I will try agsin all that was mentioned, including reset.

Thanks to all.
Hope it Will work.
So easy to track with this unit, from my recollection.

ANAYV

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Thanks.
I did mention that meters work.
Output is recorded to SD card.

Cant hear anything from Dp32SD :(
But...when I take out the SD card and put it into audio program...I can hear the tracks I just recorded.

So , from that we know input levsls were set right and sound was recorded onto SD .

Just nonsound output from.RCA jacks, nor headphone Jack

I know what you mentioned. Please address the thing that you did not say as outlined above.

The meters work even if the faders are down. You won't hear any sound from a track with the fader down, regardless of whether the meter is working. Are the track faders up, nor not? is the Stereo fader up, or not?

Ok...I reset the DP32SD. via initialize.

Now...I get sound...But only controlled via track faders??

Monitor and master fader set to minimum (off)
Still get output.

I should hear nothing with both master fader and monitor set to minimum, no?

This was Only checking sound from SD card, that had tracks recorded.

Also only tracks 1 and 2 show metering.
Tracks 3/4 output sound...but meters show nothing for thosr tracks

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks!

ANAYV

I know what you mentioned. Please address the thing that you did not say as outlined above.

Oh . Sorry.

The meters work even if the faders are down. You won't hear any sound from a track with the fader down, regardless of whether the meter is working. Are the track faders up, nor not? is the Stereo fader up, or not?

Ok. Track faders now up...I hear sound now...But stereo fader down and monitor nob fully left...and sound still output??

I thought if stereo fader is down...no sound should be heard...as well as if monitor knob is fullty down ( turned left) then audio should be silent ( using headphones)
?
Thanks.

I did initialize unit. That made the tracks I recorded on audible...

But stereo fader down and monitor nob fully left...and sound still output??

Check the Monitor Select button and make sure you're monitoring the Stereo bus.

Are you in Bounce Mode, or Multitrack Mode?

Are you using monitors plugged into the Monitor ouputs, or are you using headphones plugged into the front panel jack?

Thanks. Using headphones.

Did firmware update.
Also used different SD card.

Now tracks 4/5 give sound to audio that is input from GH and set to record on tracks 31/32.

Only if I raise tracks 4/5 do I get to hear the sound from inputs 7/8

Something is messed up.

Shame as I hardly used this unit.

Sent it in tobTASCAM soon after buying it, and had random tracks mixed up.

They looked atbit and said nothing wrong...then charged me $65.00
:(

Glad it is working for other folks.

Guess I have to go back to my Roland VS 1824.

Still works as new.
Thanks for all who tried to help!

ANAYV

You can send it to me if you don't want it anymore. I'll pay for shipping.:)

@ANAYV what David is saying, is that is exactly how it supposed to work. The faders do not control the input to the tracks. The faders control the output level to the stereo bus which you are monitoring and mixing down on.

Please go back to the top of the forum, read the sticky posts and especially the tutorial videos by Phil Tipping. View all of them!

Only if I raise tracks 4/5 do I get to hear the sound from inputs 7/8

Something is messed up.

What's messed up is your routing. Obviously, inputs seven and eight are routed to tracks four and five. Go to the Routing screen and check what inputs are routed to where.

After I initialize...does not the routing change?

After firmware update and install new SD card, would settings be the same ?

I sure hope you are right, and I have settings wrong !

I set ( using assign button) the input to GH.

I have selected tracks 31/32 to receive input from 7/8 , which is GH.

Not at home, so cant be in front of the unit now.

I Will once again initialize when I get home.

Then try again....but really thought if I initialize , via preferences as Phil mentioned, that any mess up by me would be gone, and default set.

OK...so input can go to different track fader...but what about after recording onto tracks 31/32.
Should not those track faders adjust sound?

And what about sound being output headphone Jack, yet monitor knob is fully left...and stereo fader is all the way down.
Why would I hear anything from headphones ???

Thanks

Last edited:
From one of the posts in the Tips Stickies

PRELIMINARY STEPS 1- 10
1. Load your reset template, then create a new song and Load it.

2. Open the Mixer Screen and verify that all Inputs (A~H) and Tracks (1-32) settings are neutral/off/centered.

3. Open the Effects Screen and verify all Guitar Effects and Send Effects are off and that no tracks are assigned to the Guitar Effects.

4. Open the Dynamics Screen and verify all Input A~H Dynamic Effects are off.

5. Open the Assign Screen and verify all Input/Track Assigns are off; no Inputs are assigned to the Stereo Bus, and for DP-32, that all Stereo Track Pairs are set to Stereo.

6. Set all Track Faders off (i.e. lowered to infinity).

7. Set Input A~H Trim Knobs to the 1 o'clock position (unity gain).

8. Set Monitor Select to "Stereo".

9. Set Headphone Level Knob to a comfortable volume (if you want to hear the test signal).

10. Set Stereo Bus Master Fader to "0" (unity gain) and leave it there.

This will assure you are starting from a neutral condition.

TROUBLE SHOOTING STEPS 1-9
From this point, you can trouble shoot the signal flow.
Use only one Input and one track at a time.

Working only with Input A, connect a signal source to Input A
1 Assign Input to Stereo Bus. Observe Stereo Master Bus Meter for presence of signal
2 Unassign Input from Stereo Bus.
3 Assign Input to Track 1
4 Press Track 1 REC button. DO NOT RECORD THE TRACK.
5 Observe Track 1 Meter for incoming signal
6 Raise Track 1 fader to "0" position (unity gain), sending Track 1 signal to Stereo Bus.
7 Observe Track 1 outgoing signal to Stereo Bus on the Stereo Master Bus Meter.
8 Turn Track 1 Fader off (all the way down)
9 Turn Track 1 REC button off.

Using Input A, repeat steps 3~9 for each remaining Track.

After all Input A/Tracks 1~32 have been completed, move to the next Input and repeat until all Inputs A~H have been tested and all Tracks 1~32 have been tested.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I will try this later tonight!

ANAYV

@ANAYV -

Every time you load a song that you've already been working on - the routing settings (as well as many other settings) are reloaded as well - just as you had left them the last time you worked on that project. This is why it's important to create a fresh "known-state reset" song template that puts everything back to "clean and clear" - load that - and then create a new song after that.... as the settings from the previously opened project *always* carries over to the newly created song.

Regarding #5 in Marks excellent post above:

5. Open the Assign Screen and verify all Input/Track Assigns are off; no Inputs are assigned to the Stereo Bus, and for DP-32, that all Stereo Track Pairs are set to Stereo.

After doing a factory reset - my DP-32SD clears all the tracks in the "Assign" screen - but defaults to having all 8 inputs assigned to the stereo bus. So when I created my reset template song - I turned off all eight (A-H) input-to-stereo-bus assignments and saved my template like that.

No confusion. Ever!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.