Onboard ADAT clocking issue

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-3200 & DM-4800' started by Emyr Rhys, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Emyr Rhys

Emyr Rhys New Member

Gear:
    DM-4800, IF-TAD
    I seem to have found a workaround for this issue which I assume is a fault that has cropped up on the desk, but I would appreciate it if someone can suggest a way of getting rid of the issue entirely, and I could go back to my old setup.

I have 2 IF-DM/AD cards and I was using these and the on board ADAT ports to run 24 channels to and from my RME RayDAT card in a mac. Recently I've been losing sync between the RayDAT and the onboard ADAT ports on the desk. The connection to the IF-DM/AD cards was fine. The desk was acting as master clock with RayDAT as slave.

I've tried swapping connections/cables, and running with master clock from the Raydat but the problem always seems to come back to the onboard ADAT on the DM4800. I'm now working around this by using my IF-TAD ADAT to TDIF convertor box to connect with the desk using one of the onboard TDIF connectors (good old TDIF!). With the RayDAT as master clock, the IF-TAD syncs over ADAT and provides a wordclock output (BNC) which the desk is happy to sync to.

Attached Files:

2. cmaffia

cmaffia Moderator Staff Member

Queens, New York
    Gear:
    2 x DM3200, DA-3000
    Perhaps it has to do with a known issue with the ADAT expansion backplane? With the older backplane, the internal ADAT works fine, but ADAT via the slots is problematic. It does work if you can make the mixer the clock master to that source, but otherwise the newer
    backplane is required to keep the external data in sync. An easy
    way to tell if you have the updated slot backplane is on the utility
    page where the version number is displayed. If it has a "." dot after
    it, it has the updated backplane. If it's just a plain number,
    then you have the older backplane.
    Peter Batah likes this.
  3. Peter Batah

Peter Batah Well-Known Member

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    Good day C. I don't kow what a backplane is but, I want to thank you for chiming in. I have the IF-AD/DM as well. So it's good information to have. Peter
  4. Emyr Rhys

Emyr Rhys New Member

Gear:
    DM-4800, IF-TAD
    Thanks for the prompt response. I appear to have the more recent backplane, but it's the internal ADAT that's causing the problem rather than the expansion cards, which are fine. Sorry - my use of the word 'onboard' to describe the 'internal' ADAT wasn't very helpful!
    Peter Batah likes this.
  5. Camilo Correa

Camilo Correa New Member

Gear:
    DM-3200
    Hi everyone . same problem here with both slots. I'm trying to connect an ADAT card but issues (noise) on both slots. Is there any chance of repairing this problem?, cmaffia?.

Thanks for any advice,

Camilo C.