Phone output to line in?

Saxomohawh

Veteran
Gear owned
Dp 24 sd
This question is more of an audio question than a DP 24 question, but anyway: I have this digital piano Yamaha YDP-162 which is a great piano, but it does not have a line out, only headphone out connector. It is possible to connect the phone out to line in on the Tascam, but I need to turn the piano volume to max and the input gain on Tascam about halfway up. This works but doesnt sound that great. (I can also turn the piano down a bit, and the Tascam gain up more, but that does not sound any better). If I connect the headphones directly to the piano the sound is absolutely great! I use high quality headphones. Of course in this case I have the volume turned down. I wonder if this degradation is caused by some kind of impedance mismatch? What could be the best solution?

Reactions: EricAndrew
My guess is the difference in use of TRS connectors for stereo vs balanced audio. Your piano output (stereo I assume) uses T and R for left and right. The DP24 input however expects T and R are for identical signals, one phase reversed. The input circuitry then reverses the phase on one so they are back in phase again. The effect on your stereo signal is the left and right end up out of phase so I would expect some kind of weak grainy signal.

Best solution would be to wire (or buy if such a thing exists) a 1/4" stereo female to two 1/4" mono male y-connector. Then use two inputs of the DP24.

Then again...I am just guessing and may be out to lunch :}.

Thanks a lot! I really think you are on to something here. This would also explain why the signal is weak. A headphone signal should really be at line level or above I think. I will definitely build an adapter as you described to try. Do you think the S shall/can/need to be connected between all three?

...of course:
Stereoplug S to S on both mono
stereoplug R to T on mono 1
stereoplug T to T on mono 2
right?

I have now received the adapter I ordered (1 stereo to 2 mono) and unfortunately it sounds about the same. Of course this is the correct way to connect anyway, and now it is in stereo, but the sound and the level is the same. So obviously this is how it sounds. It doesnt actually sound bad, or like something is wrong but I just think it should sound a tad better.

Update:
The adapter I received turned out to be 1 stereo to 2 stereo, so the signal was still mono. Took a little while until I realised that was the problem. Now I have the correct adapter and the sound is now stereo as it should. The level is still the same however, which I think is a bit strange, but I'll live with it.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.