Plug stuck in xlr/trs jack

jaderabbit

Gear owned
us2x2
Hello. I recently used a non-xlr mic cable for the first time on a US 2x2 interface, and am unable to remove it. I've tried depressing the lock tab, but the plug won't release.
If this can't be remedied I'll have to return the unit.

XLR connectors have little locking clips which , when pressing, allows you to release the connector. Is this a dual concentric type socket, where you can choose to use either a jack or XLR. ? If you use a TRS type jack in one of them ( i.e. "balanced line" ) then it might just be stuck because of the extra ring. A normal unbalanced jack has only one ring at the point, used for input. Insert jacks go in to a different type of socket. It should come out with a bit of force. If stuck, open up and physically inspect the problem. Normally easy to fix.

Thanks for your response.
The unit has XLR/TRS combo jacks. I'd only been using XLR with a condenser mic, but tried a quarter inch plug for the first time on this interface. It's a standard mono mic cable. I've worked with audio for decades and never had this happen. The release is recessed in the XLR socket ring, and can only be reached with a screwdriver or other long, slender device. A reasonable amount of force has already been applied, and too much could damage the jack's housing ring.
It simply shouldn't be happening. The unit is brand new, meant for mobility with a laptop, and considering the range of plugs that will go into [and hopefully out of] it over time, this issue concerns me.

I thought that is what you might have. i have had to repair many of these in my days as an AV Technician. I now see your problem, as all the sockets I have seen are closed body types, where you can't access the rings to free the stuck jack. Maybe its important to use TRS jacks with these, I don't know. I have used normal mono jacks in my mixing desk, which has the same type of sockets, without any problems, so maybe its just a badly made socket. You might be better to return the unit as it is, as this should not happen. I am presuming that your jack plug is of good quality? I have often wondered about whether the two ring TRS jacks can be used in a normal unbalanced socket, but that is a different issue. Good luck.

I have searched the forum about problems with mono/stereo jack plugs being hard to get in and out of XLR/TRS combos on the DP.24 SD, but cannot find it here. I use only good plugs. I can remove the plug only by applying force, which I do not like. Is this a common problem with the DP-24?

Last edited:
Is the combo jack mounted on the panel with screws?

Yes, there are some screws for the back panel. Not seperate screws for each combo, but for the whole panel.

Sorry, nevermind. The OP is from 2017. The plugs should come out easily on the DP-24.

Well, on my DP-24 the jack plugs are hard to remove. But the XLR are easy to insert and remove. My DP-24 is new, just bought it a month ago.

New threads

Members online