Recording a turntable

Paul Marshall

Gear owned
DP 24
I read somewhere, I know not where, that the circuitry is designed to accept certain types of input signal and the wrong type can cause damage.
I would like to record my vinyls. My turntable has Phonoplugs. I have bought phonoplug to XLR adapters. Before I start, does anyone know if the signal coming from the stylus is unsuitable for the Tascam DP 24 input circuitry?
Regards
Paul

You probably won't damage anything, but phono signals need a preamp that makes the signal suitable for regular audio devices (EQ and signal level). Something like Behringer PP400 or similar. Unless your turntable already has a specific output for that - most don't.

Reactions: Paul Marshall
Thank you Arjan! In that case would I be better off taking the signal from the line out of the amplifier, the one that would normally go to a cassette deck or similar?

Yep, cause amplifiers with a dedicated phono input have the circuitry inthere already, so no need for a separate box in that case.

Brilliant! Thank you! And the signal from the amp is not likely to damage anything inside the DP24?

No, just keep phantom power off for the two inputs you use. And before playing a record, set the input knob fully to 'line' and adjust clockwise to get a maximum signal without clipping.

If you can get sufficient gain from the DP-24 trim knobs then I would go direct from the turntable to the DP24, just use rca 1/4" phone adapter so you can plug directly into the DP 24 channels. This will ensure you get no buzz or unwanted noise from an amp. into the DP

I don't think a mic preamp will bring a turntable up to line level. The output is super-hyper-crazy low compared to a microphone. This is why stereo receivers have a special set of inputs marked "phono;" they are a couple of stages of preamplification behind those jacks.

Jim is right, and there's more; a phono preamp (or special amp input) also has a fixed EQ setting to re-amplify the (low) frequencies taken out when the vinyl was mastered. This is a necessity in vinyl production to prevent the stylus jumping out of the groove at bass-heavy signal.

Thank you all for your input. (No pun intended). I will let you know how it goes.
Kind regards to you all.

Thanks for the detail replies from Gravity Jim and Arjan; I agree with them, its been along time ago on discussion regarding vinyl fidelity, good to hear the tech speak.

New threads

Members online