Reliability of model 24

WVP19

Gear owned
dp-01
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am considering purchasing the model 24. When looking at places to purchase it,
I of course read the reviews. Many positive ones but negative ones also. I don't always believe all the negative reviews because sometimes people have their own motives for posting them. I came across your forum and thought it would be a great place for real feedback. Some of the negative reviews that concerned me were that the model 24 wouldn't boot up or lock up after a few months. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
Thank you for your feedback. The model 24 seems to fit the bill for me. I'm not much for recording on a computer, as I am old school. Do you use it as an interface or record your projects directly on it ? Can you master on the model 24?

Reactions: Freebird and -mjk-
I use mine both ways what i like about it is you can mix tracks down to a stereo file hands on using faders and knobs old school style, allso works great as an interface with Reaper DAW . As for mastering as such the stereo file that you end up with after mixdown can be sent to a DAW for any tweaks if needed ,or you can send individual tracks recorded on the 24 to the DAW for mixing, it's a very versatile bit of gear, hope this helps.

Reactions: Freebird
I have had my Model 24 for 11 months now, and I haven't had any issues at all except for when i forget to set the same sample rate in both Model 24 and in my DAW. But it's my own fekking fault... old brain equals short time memory...:LOL:

Otherwise I agree with Robin in his evaluation. It would have been nice though if it had inserts on every channel. But then I guess it would have been a bit more expensive.

Thanks for all the info about the model 24. I am probably going to purchase it. How are the preamps? Are they noisy? Do you need an inline preamp with dynamic mics?

Well... I'm not a true "audiophile geek"... "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll... But I Like It"... sort of.:D

I play mostly dirty & rowdy down to earth Blues, Blues-Rock, Boogie-Rock, Texas-Rock & Southern Rock, so "noise" is not a big issue for me... if any!:LOL:

But when I bought it I checked several reviews, and they where 99% very positive regarding sound quality and low noise. And to my ears they sound great with a nice and warm analogue feeling. I also have a 4-channel Behringer U-Phoria UMC 404HD with Midas preamps and I think that both Behringer & Model 24 have great preamps.

Regarding the need for inline preamps... no need from my perspective, but I guess that it is a matter of personal preference. I have a Shure SM57 dynamic and an Audio Technica condenser mic and both works fine.

I guess the only drawback might be if you want to record with a dynamic and condenser at the same time since since you only can have Phantom Power across ALL channels at the same time. And vice versa. But since my Audio Technica uses a battery, that's not an issue for me.

I play mostly dirty & rowdy down to earth Blues, Blues-Rock, Boogie-Rock, Texas-Rock & Southern Rock, so "noise" is not a big issue for me... if any!:LOL:

Links?

Hi MJK!

Sorry, but I don't have any "exposure" on the internet, and therefore no links to my music. But I'm planning to create some kind of musical home site in the future when I have some fresh things to present for the world.

As mentioned before I bought my Model 24 about a year ago and are still learning and testing things out. For the moment I don't have any finished tracks to share due to several reasons.
Just started up my new home studio and are in the midst of a steep learning curve concerning both analogue and digital equipment and computer programs like Superior Dummer 3, EZkeys, Presonus Studio One, different vst/vsti's and other plug-ins.

I recently bought a Studiologic Studio 88 with weighted keys that I'm practising on. And then learning to get all those things to work well both with Model 24 and in my daw takes some time... he... which is the understatement of the day!:rolleyes:

At this time I have many unfinished "half-baked" projects/ideas, but nothing that is ready for final mixing/mastering. Often I get so inspired to test different song ideas and guitar riffs that I end up with tons of projects to work on. One day I might only spend on Model 24, and then on other days I'm in Studio One or Superior Drummer and learning/testing new things, and figuring out my future workflow. He... and when I buy the Faderport 16 that I'm thinking about, there will be even more things to learn and memorize.:eek:

But the positive thing with having so much going on at the same time is that I can always concentrate on different things on different days depending on what mood I'm in. But I really can't wait until I'm enough comfortable with most programs and found a logical workflow that I will use.

So... for the moment I don't have anything to share, but as soon as there is I will post a link to my upcoming stuff. But if you listen to Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Little Feat, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Blackberry Smoke, Johnny Winter, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Point Blank, 38 Special (first 3-4 records) ZZ TOP/Billy Gibbons and you will at least get a hunch about what I'm all about.:)

Since I've been "away" from actively playing in groups and home recording for about 15-20 years now, I signed up to this great forum to learn all the modern tips & tricks of the trade. But so far I haven't had any big problems or questions to ask (Knock On Wood), so I humbly try to help others out in their beginning stages as much as I can with the little I know.:rolleyes:

Oops... come to think of it... I actually have an OLD home site that is more than 20 years old and haven't been updated for decades and have no audio-files, but there is at least some pictures you can look at to see what was going on here in Sweden in the late 70's & early 80'. The pictures are from 4-5 different groups I played in during that time period. It's me with the SG and long hair. :LOL:

Unfortunately it's only in Swedish... so you wont understand much.

http://www.janssonsfrestelse.com/charlie/sydrock/chargrup/charlies.htm

;) A little "teaser" with Blackberry Smoke:

Last edited:
Thanks @Freebird. I can relate to much of what you're talking about. I've made so many technology changes to my studio that I've had to re-do about 1/2 of the things I've started so I could take advantage of the upgrades.

Thanks for the website link!

Thanks singaiya, I read your Model 24 impressions. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I am pretty sure I am going to get the Model 24. I am old school and like the faders and knobs. Don't want to look at a computer screen the whole recording process. For the $1000
price point this machine seems like the way to go. I can record and mix with it, and I guess can load sd card into computer to master. Again, thanks for the info.

New threads

Members online