Software options

weegeordie

From
Ontario, Canada
Gear owned
US-144MKII
This is my first question. Are there options to using Cubase? I've taken a look at it and it is quite intimidating. Since my needs are very basic I was hoping it would be a little simpler. If not, then I will focus on figuring out how to use Cubase. Thanks for any advice or direction. ...weeg

If you go to the Cubase site, you will see different versions of the software with differing amounts of features.

It would help if you could describe your "very basic" needs since there are many DAW alternatives.

Cakewalk Sonar should do what you need and is totally free.

What I mean by basic needs is just plug in a guitar and a mike. Record a backing track for myself then add another guitar track and vocal. Possibly some piano.

If you are only recording audio and not midi, Audacity will do the trick. It's also free and much simpler than any DAW. The downside of simplicity is that it's not as powerful. But it's probably a good place to start if you want to go the software route.

If you are open to hardware, Tascam's DP 24/32 SD would be the best options.

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm a bit confused about the difference between using hardware or software. I thought software was the only way to record to pc. In my mind I see the hardware as pulling together the input signals and outputting to a computer. Then the software on the computer does the recording to disk, and playback.

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, but of course, there are hardware solutions that do not record on the computer. Before PCs existed, people made records on magnetic tape. The Tascam DP machines are digital standalone audio workstations, that only require a computer for file management. So, when SocProf commented on hardware, he meant recording on a hardware device as opposed to recording on a software device.

I quickly googled the DP 24/32 and its looking like hundreds of dollars. Its a bit of an investment for a retiree. I don't have any significant investments so I will probably stick with the software solutions. But thanks for letting me in on the options. ...weeg

Audacity and Cakewalk Sonar are free.

New threads

Members online