Stop button doesn't function anymore

Discussion in '2488 and DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios' started by Paul Massart, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Paul Massart

Paul Massart New Member

Gear:
    Tascam 2488 Nep
    Dears,

The Stop button of my Tascam 2488 neo isn't functioning anymore, meaning that when I push the stop, button, it doesn't stop the action un progress (Recording, reading;, Etc ...)

As far as I understand the "Micro switch" below the Stop key is broken as has t be replaced.

Would yoiu confirm and would you know what is the reference of this microswitch and where I can order it

Thanks and bets regards

Paul Massart
  2. -mjk-

-mjk- Moderator Staff Member

Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
    Gear:
    DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
    Hi Paul. I wouldn't assume anything. The first thing I would do is spray that switch with a high-quality electrical contact cleaner. Only after doing that and not seeing positive results would I go forward with the switch replacement project.

Please note that this site is not affiliated with Tascam. There are individual forum members who are familiar with servicing some Tascam equipment, but this site is not a service portal for Tascam.
  3. Paul Massart

Paul Massart New Member

Gear:
    Tascam 2488 Nep
    Thanks for your answer and advice. I'll do first with what you recommand and will keep you informed.

Paul
    -mjk- likes this.
  4. Paul Massart

Paul Massart New Member

Gear:
    Tascam 2488 Nep
    Hi mjk,
    So far I had not the opportunity to apply your suggestion to "spray" electric contact enabler but I will soon be able (I was abroad).

Before doing it :
    - Is it relevant to spray this button "from outside" (meaning without disassembling anything) ?
    - Is a product like WD-40 for electric contact the kind of spray to be used in this context ?

Thanks & BR,
    Paul
  5. -mjk-

-mjk- Moderator Staff Member

Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
    Gear:
    DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
    Hi Paul,

Check out this forum search results:

https://www.tascamforums.com/search/17850142/?q=Deoxit&t=post&o=date

The answer is if you can get the contact cleaner into the control or switch from the outside, fine. If you can't, then you need to open it up so you can get to it. I sprayed the input level trim pots and all the switches on my DP-32 from the outside.

That is a resolute "no" to WD-40. You need a high-quality electrical contact cleaner/restorer.