Syncing Digital Drums to Model 12 Recording?

Folkfan1290

Hello,

I'm considering buying a Model 12 to use as a multi-track recorder. I plan on recording all instruments straight into the Model 12 except for drums, which I plan on making on software like EZ Drummer2.

If I import a drum track onto the Model 12, is it possible to sync the metronome in the Model 12 to the drum WAV file that I import? I'm concerned because in some of my songs, the drums come in late in the song, or they drop out at points.

If this isn't possible, I suppose another option would be to import two WAV files--one that is the drums for the song, and the other a click track synced with the real drum track in EZDRUMMER. Then I would delete the click track before the final mix down. Would this work?

If both of these options are feasible, would one be better than the other?

The click track should work as that has been done for decades with analog tape.

I use BFD for my drums, and it syncs flawlessly.

I work much as you are suggesting; I do however record the drums two a pair of tracks at some point, so that they are on the model 12. Then I don't have to carry my laptop to jam sessions... the drums are on tracks 9/10. Of course, if I want to change them at anytime, I can just re-record them from the laptop (over USB), so I have the flexibility of changing drum sounds / fx / balance EQ etc.. This would work with a drum machine over MIDI too, or using the click track to record a real drummer. Hope this gives you confidence to go ahead and purchase - the sound of the Model 12 is great and it is darn easy to use.

Reactions: tom_bond and -mjk-
@Maudibe please consider yourself on call (lol), as we have no real Model 12 user base yet, to answer real world questions. Thank you for your input!

Reactions: Maudibe
No Problem. I come from over 45 years in audio recording (62 now!) and started with a TEAC 4 Track before starting a studio on a Fostex 16 etc etc... the rest is history (it got bigger, and then I went on to be head audio tech at a University for 23 years! At least I got paid every month then :)). Been using Steinberg since it came out (well almost) so Cubase is my baby upstairs in the big studio... the Model 12 is to catch my jams and do DAW-less fun with friends. Although, I can see me just banging a few ideas together and then taking the SD card upstairs to play with :)

I am now retired on a remote island half way between Europe and the USA. Call it Atlantis :LOL:

I use Cubase, BFD3, Kontakt (in fact way too much NI stuff!) and Various synths, Modular rig - HUGE, and sequencers. So if ever I can help. Yup, count me in.

I think this is my biggest fear, that my ‘sketches’ on the Model 24 won’t line up to the tempo/bpms in my DAW (Logic) thus creating a headache when I apply e-drums with a session player at a later date.

Reactions: -mjk-
@Anna_X if you use a drum machine to cut the pre-production tracks, and keep the BPM the same as the DAW project, any problems lining up are easy to solve as you simply drag them to the grid.

If you are using a pro session player, all the player really needs is a click track. Just do it!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.