Tascam 122MKII

Yam700

Gear owned
Tascam 122 mkII
Hey everyone. Just replaced my control belt, drive rubber X2 and the pinch roller. All back together but the speed is way to fast now. Anyone run into this problem before?

Reactions: turnkit
Yes, I ran into the fast speed problem on two different 122mkiis that I bought new in the 90s or so. They started acting up a couple of years after I bought them. Both had to be repaired by Teac Montebello.....for free at the time.... main control boards inside go completely bad over time.... or something like that. I tried to initially compensate using the speed/pitch controls but those became useless so I finally drove them over to Tascam to fix.

Yes, I see it all the time and it is those Chinese garbage surface mount caps on the board. I put through hole caps on the board which takes about 90 minutes and I also change C2 from low grade ceramic to Polystyrene like it should have been in the first place. I have fixed motors like those for 2 or 3 years now. It is an excellent motor when the corrections are made.
I hope Teac did not put a new motor in with the same bad parts on it. You will find that if they did the problem will be back again in a couple of years- stupid design and stupid use of low grade parts. This is what happens when you go from Japan manufacture to Korea or Taiwan.

New threads

Staff online

Members online