Tascam 2x2HR Monitoring MIDI In (no sound)

michael-u

Gear owned
Tascam 2x2HR
Hi, I just purchased a Tascam 2x2HR. Im wanting to hear the input coming in on MIDI IN on the monitor headphones but there's no sound.

The full setup is:
* I have an xSonic xTone connected to my ipad. It has a headphone out jack where I cal hear the output of my guitar.
* I have the Tascam 2x2hr connected to my Macbook Pro.
* I use a "BOSS TRS/MIDI multi-directional" cable to plug the HP out from the xSonic xTone into the MIDI IN of the Tascam 2x2HR.

I have the headphones plugged into the monitor plug of the Tascam 2x2hr. I CAN hear audio played on the macbook but can not hear audio played coming in on the MIDI IN.

The goal is to be able to hear the audio track playing on the macbook while hearing the processed audio of the guitar coming in from the xTone.

Previously I was using a Berhinger 202 usb device and the xtone was coming into that via RCA and it worked fine. I purchased the Tascam 2x2hr thinking it would be an upgrade in audio quality.

Im having trouble getting it to work. Help appreciated, thanks.

MIDI cannot carry any type of audio. It's a digital serial bus to transmit and receive instrument note data.

Like Arjan P said, that won't work. The BOSS TRS/MIDI cable is a DATA cable, not an AUDIO cable. It looks like a mini stereo connector, but it's not. The MIDI IN/OUT on the 2x2HR is DATA input/output, not AUDIO input/output. You would need to connect either the BAL output or R & L/M audio outputs from the xTone into the combo jacks on the front of the 2x2HR.

First, make sure the 2x2HR's +48V phantom power is switched OFF and the MIC/LINE INST switches are set to MIC/LINE.

If you only need mono, I suggest going from the BAL (BALANCED) output of the xTone into IN1 of the 2x2HR using a BALANCED XLR cable (XLR on both ends). You could also use the xTone's L/M (LEFT/MONO) output for a mono signal using an UNBALANCED TS cable (TS on both ends), but the previous BALANCED method would normally be a better option.

If you want stereo, then connect the xTone's L/M (LEFT/MONO) output to the 2x2HR's IN1 input, and the xTone's R (RIGHT) output to the 2x2HR's IN2 input using standard UNBALANCED TS cables (TS on both ends).

Then make sure the 2x2HR's Settings Panel software on your Macbook is set to either MONO or STEREO and that IN1 and/or IN2 are enabled. You'll most likely need to make adjustments for stereo INs and OUTs in the xTone's software as well.

Reactions: michael-u
Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for helping me understand.

Reactions: cripple9
The good news is, your 2x2HR isn't broken. I guess it's better to only need a couple new cables than a whole new audio interface. Unless you just need more inputs... If that's the case, then welcome to the club, lol.

Yeah true. I thought I was going to be replacing 2 units with one, simple right. lol. Turns out the headset mic that I used to run into the "Audio Technica AT-MA2" pre-amp doesn't work in the line IN either so I still need to go through the preamp to the 2x2hr. :( Or replace it with a XLR mic.

Learning experience. I do appreciate the help though or I might have bought a third 5pin Din to TRS

New threads

Members online

No members online now.