Tascam DM 4800 and IF-FW/DMMKII Firewire Card Won't Work With High Sierra

Glen Pace

Gear owned
DM4800
Is There anyone out there that has been able to Get the Console and the iMac with High Sierra
to work together. We have tried everything including the new Drivers from 2014 which said
Mac OS 10.10 or higher.

All is well here indeed, on a Mac Pro 2010. Your mileage may vary as there are some with less luck, even on the latest MacBook Pro.

If we are keeping a tally...High Sierra not working for me. Simply not recognized as an audio device by the system.

Reactions: SeafoxMusic
Upgraded to Mojave today, and have found no issues with my dm4800 and dm-fw/mkII
Be aware that these firewire cards are very sensitive. Don't ever plug them in while the gear is on. Had mine repaired twice. The Computer will tell you that there is no device connected, even if the Mixer tells you the Card is present and running.
When upgrading, i always keep a backup, so i can rollback if any issues.

Last edited:
I use my DM4800 with High Sierra on a mid 2012 macbook,had no issues.Good to hear Mojave seems to be working with the card.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hey all, just purchased my DM4800, but having a really hard time finding the FireWire Card (mkII). Anyone have any suggestions on where to find one? Thank you!

eBay

Reactions: Jerome Williams
@SeafoxMusic Those treasures are going to be harder and harder to find. Sounds crazy but sooner than later the only way to get our hands on one is to actually purchase a used DM that comes loaded with the expansion card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Did you did something in the System Preferences/Privacy settings to get it working?

I installed the FW card driver 1.70, on a fresh installed Mojave (iMac 2015) but still not showing up in Audio/Midi Setup.

I double-checked the FW card with my old iMac 2010 with El Cap and still working fine. So the card is working.

Also the original Apple FW-to-TB adapter is working fine if I connect a hard drive. I'm using a FW400-to-FW800 cable from the DM FW card.

What I'm missing here?

Thanks for your help!

Olietyven said:
Upgraded to Mojave today, and have found no issues with my dm4800 and dm-fw/mkII
Be aware that these firewire cards are very sensitive. Don't ever plug them in while the gear is on. Had mine repaired twice. The Computer will tell you that there is no device connected, even if the Mixer tells you the Card is present and running.
When upgrading, i always keep a backup, so i can rollback if any issues.

Interesting development. After receiving notice of ddpmusic's recent update. I went back and revisited my issue with High Sierra not seeing my FW card. I loaded up IFFWD driver "IFFWDMmkII_Installer_188754" that I found in an archive folder of old drivers on my hard drive (can't recall what had previously been loaded, but I thought that I had already tried them all). After the install and a reboot of the computer the FW card was still not recognized. I rebooted the DM4800 and then went to the Security and Privacy tab in the system preferences. There was a notice on the General tab that I have never seen before. It said that a device driver for Teac Corp had not been loaded and there was a tab with the option to load it. After clicking on the tab to load the driver, suddenly High Sierra sees my FW card....and it works!

That's Great Clinter!

These were my findings I posted in another post:
---------------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Report (08/27/19)

Everything is working fine now in this Mac system configuration:

- iMac 27" 5K i7 (Late 2015) >with Thunderbolt 2
- Mojave (latest update) > fresh install
- DM-4800 with latest driver/firmwares (got them from the link bellow, thanks to Marvel!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LkEvXayUtLQG7ms0Gmxf8O5IUH_40Gwc?usp=sharing
- FW400-to FW800 cable (from FW card)
- FW800-to-Thunderbolt 2 adapter (Apple original)
- Tested with PT HD 19.6, Cubase 10 Pro, OS system, etc.

Note: In my system the FW card was recognized when I installed the FW driver 1.30f10 (and approve the System Changes!!)
better explained by Clinter <<then went to the Security and Privacy tab in the system preferences. There was a notice on the General tab that I have never seen before. It said that a device driver for Teac Corp had not been loaded and there was a tab with the option to load it. After clicking on the tab to load the driver, suddenly High Sierra sees my FW card....and it works!>>

Note 2: The FW card Control Panel is NOT in the System Preferences but inside the Application folder (I totally forgot about it)

Nite 3: You can see the FW driver version opening the IFFWDMmkII Control Panel and selecting ABOUT in the Top (of the Computer Screen) Menu.

Hope this help somebody.

Reactions: summit
I'm having no issues with High Sierra and the DM4800 running Logic. Smooth as can be.
How did you do this
I’m looking to buy a use but clean dm4800 I’m running logic x with OS X high Sierra. Where can I find the driver for it run

@Raul Rivera Do what Raul? If and when you pick up the DM, make sure that you are running the latest drivers / firmware for both desk and expansion card(s). We can re-visit once that is done!

I want to know where to find the drivers for Mac becaue the ones available at tascam don’t work on high Sierra so before I throw down the money I want to know

Thank you

I guess I have to see rig running, if the driver exist I want it before I drop 2k on a board that “might” work.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.