Tascam portastudio 414 : transfer of the audio on the computer ? help

Bobbydebarbes

Gear owned
Tascam DP24
Hi,
I recorded a track this week end on my 414 (i treasure it) and i planned to transfer the audio on my PC (Toshiba windows 10) thanks to Audacity.

I did it many times in the past but this time, nothing worked...i still don't understand why...

I go from the Tascam output line out (2 cables) into the headphone jack of my PC (i have no choice on my PC, just 1 jack).

Audacity doesn't take the signal from the Tascam, i tried many settings, nothing worked, i don't understand.

Could you help please ? Is there any alternative to get the song out of the tascam ?

Many thanks in advance !!!!
Bobby

yes exactly Phil. Output to headphone jack... I 've always do it like that before on my cheap PC...so i don't understand anymore. Maybe i am confused and on the older PC i had 1 input and 1 output.

An alternative maybe :
Do you think i could manage to transfer the song from 414 line output into one of the source input of my DP 24 using a cable (2RCA / 1 jack) like that ? https://www.thomann.de/fr/cordial_cfy_09_vcc.htm
Would it work ?

You'd need 2 separate cables to transfer into the DP-24... its inputs are all mono.
RCA at the 414 end, and a 1/4" TS plug at the other for the DP-24.
Use an adjacent pair of inputs on the DP-24. Only these pairs will work: A & B, C & D, E & F, G & H.
Assign the pair to a stereo track. You do not need to pan anything.

My old PCs all have 2 sockets - one for headphones or line output, the other for mic input. The quality when recording was very poor, so going via the DP-24 should be much better. After recording, export the tracks and copy the files from AudioDepot to your PC.

Reactions: -mjk-
Update... When I said 'assign to a stereo track', I was assuming the song on your 414 was stereo. If it was 2 independent tracks, then you don't have to use an adjacent pair of inputs, and you would assign them to separate mono tracks. You can still export them the same way if you want them on your PC.

That's ok. You are transferring a stereo mix so you'll need 2 cables - that link shows 2 cables so it's perfect. Then follow post #4 above re. assigning to a stereo track on the dp-24.
I was only checking in case you wanted to transfer the separate tracks prior to mixing.

yes exactly Phil. Output to headphone jack... I 've always do it like that before on my cheap PC...so i don't understand anymore. Maybe i am confused and on the older PC i had 1 input and 1 output.
If your 'PC' is a laptop, it probably has a combined headphone/mic (or, headset) connection. So instead of the tip-ring-sleeve of the headphone only, it's tip-ring-ring-sleeve with the extra ring being the (mono) microphone input. Essentially such laptops have no real line in..

That's ok. You are transferring a stereo mix so you'll need 2 cables - that link shows 2 cables so it's perfect. Then follow post #4 above re. assigning to a stereo track on the dp-24.
I was only checking in case you wanted to transfer the separate tracks prior to mixing.

Ok thanks very much again for your help Phil !
I'll buy that now then,

Reactions: Phil Tipping
As Arjan indicated above, on my new Dell laptop, there's only one jack to:
"Connect headphones or a headset (headphone and microphone combo)."

Agree with Phil. The DP-24 seems like the best option.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
If you are trying to deal with a crummy laptop with limited inputs and a line signal will not work well with a mic input type. You are far better off getting an USB interface like the Roland Tri Capture that works great for the little it cost. I have used one and I had no problem with it but I did not put it intro a laptop- those always seem to be missing what is needed to get a job done as fancy and as expensive as they make them. I like Desktop computer still and you can still do more with them.

I agree with @SkywaveTDR. With a USB interface you can record directly on the computer.

Hello,
i just did it and it worked well.
Thanks !

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online