Tascam Portastudio 464 Track 4 very quiet

aateichman

Gear owned
Tascam Portastudio 464
Hello all, I recently picked up a Tascam 464 and have been experiencing a problem with recording onto track 4. When recording in, the levels seems to be at the appropriate Db, but when I play it back, it is extremely quiet, like it isn't getting amplified. The signal going in is a line level signal, so I was curious as to what the culprit might be. Any ideas? I'm willing to get my hands dirty. Thank you in advance!

Hi, and welcome! An easy test to see whether the signal is there but doesn't get picked up or there is no signal recorded in the first place: Simply turn the tape over and see if the recorded signal on track 4 is now there on track 1 (in reverse ofcourse) or not. If not, there's a recording problem - if so, the play head route from track 4 has a problem.

I have had some Porta Studios have broken solder joints on the record boards and some have defective or dirty pots. There decks are so miniature and hard to work on that a beginner is not advised to go in as he will cause more damage than good. I have worked on them all since the mid 80's at Chicago Factory Service. I did have a open head coil on a 246 not too long ago. Lucky for the customer I had a new head sitting here.

New threads

Members online