To Whom It May Concern: SX Death

wolf

Veteran
Gear owned
2 SX-1 LE+ DVRA1000 CD-01U
I think one of my SX's has died...it's been acting up for weeks, but I always manage to get it up and running...it started with problems turning it on...I'd have to try 2 or 3 times before the faders would move and recently, it's been freezing...I would shut it down and turn it back on and all seemed fine...then, on Wednesday night, it froze and when I tried to turn it back on, it would get as far as Fader Calibration Ended and then freeze...I read on the old forum that I may need to buy new RAM sticks for it or a battery...I found some new, compatible PC-133 sticks that someone local was selling on eBay, so I picked them up this morning (Saturday)...
when I swapped out the RAM sticks, the SX started as usual, with the exception that it was telling me that Fader 1 wasn't responding...the Fader hasn't worked in months, but I never saw a message at start-up...anyway, it froze at Fader Calibration Ended...I tried again and same thing...I put in the 1.52 disk and nothing happened...I then tried holding down F7 at start-up and then several other keys...at one point, my VGA screen came on and said Booting From Disk and asked me for a password...I tried to type in macsat, but I couldn't...then the screen went black...I turned it back on, but this time, the LCD screen didn't come on...after several more attempts, the faders stopped moving...it doesn't do anything now except turn on...
no LCD, no VGA, no fader movement...nothing! I tried the RAM sticks from my other SX, but still no luck...
I was working on a group of 12 songs that I was going to back-up via FTP on Friday...since I can't get it running, I swapped the hard drive into my other SX to try and save the tracks...the 2nd SX went to Fader Calibration Ended and froze...after 2 times, I decided not to try again because I was scared the 2nd SX would also die,,,
I don't understand why the 2nd SX had any issue after swapping the hard drive since it always runs fine...I'm going to try a new battery tomorrow (I forgot to try the battery from the other SX before I closed it up again)...I changed batteries a year ago and can't see how that's the problem...
now it seems that not only is my SX dead, but everything I recorded on it is lost...
I'm really upset because I finally got the 2 of them working perfectly together and my sessions were going smoothly...
this really SUX!!!

I put in a new battery and that's not it...I also hooked up the old hard drive and that also does nothing...I think my SX is fried...

blah blah blah...who cares?

I brought the SX in to the shop and there's no hope of fixing it without spending a ton of money...from what they could diagnose, I'm looking at anywhere from $1000 up, because the parts aren't available...I called Tascam, but without the unit being in front of them, they can't tell me much...I was also told that nobody "really works on the SX anymore" and "I might be better off having it fixed locally"...
I simply don't have the money and I'm not sure I'd want to spend close to twice what I paid for it to have if repaired...if it even CAN be repaired!
it was so great having 32 tracks to work with...16 will not allow me the same possibilities...
oh well...
R.I.P.

That sucks... so it's official, you're moving on? :)

I'm moving from 32 tracks to 16 tracks...and cancelling 3 sessions with my very first clients...NOT a good way to begin a business...I built my studio around 2 SX's...it took years to learn and years to build my studio and I used up most of my cash in the process...if I have to learn a new/different recording medium, it may set me back another year or so...not to mention even MORE cash...
so, why the smiley face ( :) ) ???

Sorry to hear that Wolf.....first time I've been here since selling both my SX-1 quite a few years back. I'd try source a new (2nd hand ) motherboard if I were you....cheaps as chips on Ebay probably (if you can still get them). I had a couple at one time along with a couple of VGA cards as insurance.

Good luck
Al

That was a smiley of encouragement, not mocking!

thanks Al...I have no idea what motherboard or cards to buy because the service manual for the SX isn't available anymore...I also would have no idea how to replace the motherboard unless it was a simple "swap"...
and sorry about that DJ X, I'm just very depressed and upset about this situation...

Hey Wolf,

I've just checked my hard drive and I've got tons of stuff about the SX-1.......how do I upload them to here?

Cheers,
Al

I guess when you post a reply, you can use "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the message...

Hi Wolf,

You're welcome. If you know of anywhere else where I might upload the rest of the SX1 stuff on my hard drive in one upload let me know. There are manuals, pics, forum postings by Girault who I think worked for Tascam.....I always thought the info might be of use for someone one day.

BTW, I think the old site is still running as I did a search and recognised the old logo?

Al

wolf said:
I think one of my SX's has died...it's been acting up for weeks, but I always manage to get it up and running...it started with problems turning it on...I'd have to try 2 or 3 times before the faders would move and recently, it's been freezing...I would shut it down and turn it back on and all seemed fine...then, on Wednesday night, it froze and when I tried to turn it back on, it would get as far as Fader Calibration Ended and then freeze...

Sounds like the power supply to me. Underneath the CD drive, a pain to get to.
Contact TASCAM parts department and see if they have one in stock. I'll look around here as well.

RedBus.

hey RedBus, I really appreciate it...is there a part# for that? do I have to take the bottom of the SX apart to get to it? AND...do you have any other parts "lying around"???

and thanks to Al too...yes, the "old" forum is still running, but you can't view any attachments...

anyway, if I can get the CPU, a mother board and the cards, then MAYBE I can resurrect my SX from the scrap heap...I would buy the one on eBay, but I can't afford it right now...the Seller is "Merlaylay"...sounds kind of like "Merlin", but I think Merlin is in Chicago and "Merlaylay" is from CA...and wants $150 shipping...

Hey Wolf,

Good luck with machine. I've just bought a 2nd hand Tascam X48 (Mark 1). What a machine....it reminds me of the SX in ways, but the SX is so much more. I really wish Tascam had had the financial clout available to support the SX. As a company they come up with great ideas (the FW1884 being another) but don't seem to offer any real longevity to the products(or maybe I expect too much of them). I wonder if the business model of future boutique IT products such as these ('boutique' in the sense that the marketplace is small not mainstream) is one where the 'owner' is more a subscriber.......where you pay such much every year to keep support of the product going. Given what an SX1 would do, and an initial cost of around £5000 in the UK, if Tascam had said, 'Ok you can have the machine at £4000, but you will need to renew a licence at £4000 per year to keep it running', I wonder how many people would think that a good idea? For that money, the subscriber would be entitled to bug fixes, spare parts and service availabilty for say, ten years(? ) and generally know that their initial investment in the product is one that is going to last.
I'd love to hear what other folks think on this?

If anyone knows where / or how I can upload the SX stuff I have let me know.

Cheers
Al

Al, if it's documentation and manuals, you can upload them in the subforum we have for that stuff. Please send me a PM if you have any issues with that.

Hi DJ,

I've just uploaded a pic....I guess you can only upload one attachment at a time. I have various PDFs, pics etc that I wanted to just upload all at once rather than go through the process every time.
Al

New threads

Members online