To Whom It May Concern: SX Death

Al, you should be able to upload several attachments at once, as long as the total doesn't exceed the MB limit per post.

As for pics, try posting them inline instead of attaching them. That way, there shouldn't be any limit at all.

I don't know about paying a yearly fee of 4000 pounds...that seems a little steep...I would be happy if Tascam just had parts available for the SX...it's a shame that I may have to use my broken SX for the faders and knobs and whatever other non-essential parts I can get out of it...it's amazing how it was working one day and the next day, it died on me...now the screen on my second SX is fading fast...it has so many lines, I can barely see anything...I only used the screen when I was syncing the 2 SX's together, so that's not a big deal...it's annoying as hell, but not a big deal...I hope I can coax my one SX into running smoothly through the project I'm working on...after that, who knows? maybe it's time for a change if I can't keep them running any longer...
the SX is such a great machine and I waited so long to buy two of them...I wish it didn't have so many issues...

Hey Wolf,

I meant paying 10% of £4000....ie £400. Like an extended warranty. So If the purchase price was in 2003, say £4000, you would then pay £400 yearly to keep the machine 'on the road' so to speak. In 2014 you would then have paid :
£4000 + 10 yearly installments of £400, totalling £8000, safe in the knowledge that you'd have a working machine for 10 years......whether that's economically viable for manufacturers I have no idea.

Al

Wolf,

I'm not sure if I got it straight on exactly how you did your hard drive swap so if you already did what I am about to suggest then just disregard this post.

Maybe you can recover your lost project files by temporarliy installing the hard drive from the "dead" LE Plus into the one that works. If that machine will not then boot fully, try installing OS 1.52 (without reformatting the drive) a few times. If that works then use FTP to move all the files you need to continue working on your project to a computer. Then your can remove that hard drive and re-install the good one back into the machine, move the recovered to it via FTP to continue the project.

I wasn't sure from what I read in your post if this is what you already have attempted.
Like you I have been running a pair of SX-1 LE Pluses. I have a service manual and will try to find some time to see what might be of some help in trying to breath life back into the "dead" machine.

thanks Russ...I already tried the HD in the 2nd SX and after a few attempts, I gave up, because the 2nd SX was starting to freeze at "Fader Calibration Ended" and I didn't want to lose that one too...
I appreciate any help I can get here...

It probably is a generic computer powersupply. Once you've got it out a replacement part should be available on every streetcorner...

I was under the impression that I needed something a little more specific, so I've been waiting until I was sure which parts I needed...I don't have a service manual, so I don't know which parts to put in...I'm sure everyone here is busy, so I haven't done anything to the SX...anyway, I'll give the power supply a look...

Just pop it open and there will be a partsnumber on the powersupply. Once you have that a generic powersupply from that era will do.

If the 2nd, working, SX-1 is having similar issues to the broken SX-1 when you swap the disk into it, that suggests the disk is the issue. Perhaps it has some kind of corruption or other issue on the disk. Do you have a spare?

I would try to get the 'broken' unit working on a new disk and see if that helps. I don't know how computer savvy you are but I would image the disk in the working SX-1 and then try it in the 'broken' one. I would be careful not to install the disk from the working SX-1 into the broken one, in case the issue is with hardware or bus.

I think there is still hope...

it isn't the disk, that's the first thing I tried...it was when I swapped the hard drive that the 2nd SX started acting up...I swapped the HD from the working SX also and that didn't work...and btw, I have 2 spare disks and they both work...I wish that was the issue, I could have fixed it right away...but thanks...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.